Stoker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stoker Reviews

April 10, 2015
Not a masterpiece, but to close.
½ April 4, 2015
extremely well shot and sublimely acted. A masterclass thriller
March 29, 2015
The movie can't seem to rope in its own excess.
March 27, 2015
This film is so strange and bizarre, yet it shines as a cinematographic feat. With excellent acting, pace, and twists and turns, this strange out of this world horror movie turns into something so much more.
March 20, 2015
Mroe evidence that Park Chan-wook is the greatest living director of genre film.
March 18, 2015
As the English-language directorial debut of South Korean filmmaking maestro Park Chan-wook and screenwriting debut of Prison Break's Wentworth Miller, Stoker is a gothic coming of age tale for India as her life intertwines with that of her enigmatic, mysterious and estranged uncle on the day of the death of her father. India soon finds her uncle being drawn towards herself for unknown reasons, while strange occurrences begin to emerge on the Stoker estate through a needlessly protracted series of events.

Miller displays somewhat of an aptitude when it comes to writing violence and suspense, but the actor's first outing as a screenwriter weighs down on the movie like a child being buried alive under an insurmountable amount of dirt. The actor-writer touches on the human psyche, for a longing towards connection and love, but doesn't quite delve into it headfirst. Despite the sweeping, beautiful shots and powerful performances by the trio of Wasikowska, Goode and Kidman, Stoker's story meanders more often than not as it opts to develop the characters and history of Charlie at an excruciating pace; the problem isn't simply that the payoff to Stoker isn't worth the 99 minutes running time, but that the narrative journey towards the end is lackluster and predictable almost in its entirety.

What Stoker lacks in terms of the narrative oomph familiar to the previous works of Park Chan-wook, it makes up with everything else from the director's constant collaborator, the cinematographer Chung-hoon Chung, and the score by the talented Clint Mansell. Stoker is without a shadow of a doubt an atmospheric piece of cinema, both self-indulging and aesthetically beautiful under Park Chan-wook's direction and cinematography by the eyes behind Oldboy (2003), Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005) and Thirst (2009). But as Jupiter Ascending recently proved, being pretty isn't enough for a movie to maintain longevity, or even to achieve acclaim. The takeaway for the audience is little, while for Miller, it gives him a shot at refining his writing, and for Park Chan-wook to not abandon the potential that comes from directing another tale in the English language.
March 15, 2015
This movie is fascinating. In all aspects. It has an American Gothic type feel to it that pervades the whole movie. The cinematography is always fascinating to watch and the sound design is really striking. As an overall assessment, director Chan-wook Park nails it. Also, for being Wentworth Miller's first produced script, it's an impressive one. The leading cast also impresses. I mean, Nicole Kidman can play the crazy mother all day every day, so that was great. Matthew Goode is ungodly creepy, and Mia Wasikowska uses her quiet intensity really well in this. This is a dark, twisted, coming of age story that I highly recommend.
March 13, 2015
What's up with the spider?
March 11, 2015
Dark, Intense and Gritty direction.
Mia's mystical performance and superb background score.
March 10, 2015
Delightfully underwhelming.
March 1, 2015
This movie was amazing. I loved the feeling I got from this movie. I wasn't scared, I wasn't horrified, I was just a bit disturbed. Overall, I think the movie was outstanding! Mia and Mathew were brilliant!
½ March 1, 2015
Ehhhhh.....boring mystery/thriller, for the most part. The movie has a very eerie, almost Gothic tone to it. The characters dress very drab and everything is just dark and disturbing. I think Mia Wasikowska is very good as India and Matthew Goode is fantastic as Charlie. But overall I just didn't really enjoy it or find it as interesting as I had hoped it would be.
½ February 25, 2015
Impressive psychological thriller with mystery and horror elements, with curious cinematography about hereditary mental disorders.
½ February 21, 2015
"Stoker" is a haunting and suspenseful drama thanks to its mysterious tone which constructs clever plot twists and flashbacks in all the right places to generate surprises, has numerous amounts of comparison imagery, and strong acting performances that highlights its dark narrative.
February 18, 2015
Even if the story is stretched thin, Stoker's visuals are beautiful, haunting, and powerful
February 17, 2015
Well-acted, but sporadically downtrodden and melodramatic, Stoker nevertheless contains decent imagery.
½ February 16, 2015
'A coming of age story that subverts to a coming of the deranged'. Love it!
February 14, 2015
this is one of the creepiest films I've ever seen. Creepy, in a sense where you(as an audience member) are just uncomfortable.
The direction; shots, composition, and editing all worked together. You didn't know if you were watching a film about a vampire, a serial killer, or just a really weird family... but you kept watching it.
It was lit beautifully with fantastic production design and wardrobe. Well worth a watch and I will see it again.
½ February 14, 2015
I loved the tension held along the movia as well as the stunning performance by Mia Wasikowska, India itself is quite a masterpiece of deepness and complexity, in one word, fascinating
February 13, 2015
I tell ya, Asian directors are pushing the filmmaking world forward with their innovative visuals and boundaries. This movie is drenched in chilling atmosphere, and the director makes up for the occasional narrative fault with sheer ambition. Entire cast is good as well.