Stoker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stoker Reviews

½ July 30, 2015
Visually appealing film. This film is moody, gothic and atmospheric. I am in love with Park Chan-wook's taste when it comes to film imagery.
July 23, 2015
The director of Oldboy ventures into the American market with another stylish art-house thriller. The artistic flourishes are definitely there, but Stoker doesn't quite reach the delirious heights of Chan-wook's earlier work. [B+]
½ July 22, 2015
Strange, disturbing, atmospheric and interesting, Stoker is a great triumph in cinematography and storytelling; with a great performance from Nicole Kidman.
July 11, 2015
Chan-wook Park's English speaking debut is almost as sociopathic as the two characters' who propel it. Within the context of the plot, this not really a bad thing. As the plot progresses the viewer starts to feel more concern for the insane characters than the other ones who are just mean. An interesting mix of tension, very dark comedy and some surprisingly disturbing moments. As always, Chung-hoon Chung's cinematography is awesome. The acting is top notch. It is particularly interesting to witness Mia Wasikowska and Nicole Kidman in their scenes together. They create a mutually-charged resentment. Clever and completed committed to its vision from start to finish.
June 15, 2015
Very good movie. The "mysterious stranger" plot feels a bit familiar, its intriguing characters and style set itself apart from other similar films. The direction from Park is superb, the screenplay's fairly well written from first timer Miller, and the performances in the film are great, especially Wasikowska and Goode. Had the film subverted the genre tropes more, it would've been a lot better.
June 13, 2015
Honestly, I loved this one. A highly stylized, artsy, beautifully photographed film, highlighted by magnificent performances from Matthew Goode and Mia Wasikowska (who steals the show in EVERY scene AND proves what a great actress she is who is not afraid to take risks - mark my words, Oscar is in her near future). This almost Hitchcockian tale is chilling and spellbinding in its delivery, but it is also uniquely offbeat and keeps you confused as to what exactly is happening until the stunning climax which, even though you just know something is very wrong with uncle Charlie - it is still a surprise and a shocker - oh, especially that ending! Kidman is better here than I've seen her in years, but honestly STOKER belongs to Goode and Wasiowska who are both utterly fearless and make this a truly great film. It's a strange little chiller and certainly not for everyone. Some will find it boring and off-putting. I love these types of films, however, the more challenging the better, as far as I'm concerned. Park's direction is superb and overall he has created a stunning picture getting the most out of his excellent cast. Highly recommended!
½ June 10, 2015
Really wish this was better
June 2, 2015
Enthralling and tremendously entertaining.
½ May 28, 2015
By the end, Stoker left me unsatisfied. It has some of the coolest cinematography I've ever seen in a movie, but it's too much style-over-substance. It's like the whole time the movie is going "Look at me! Look at me! Look how cool this shot is!" It's too much. I wanted more twists and turns in the story. I just wish Park Chan-wook worried less on the look and more on the plot.
May 11, 2015
Lead female actor is gorgeous. Cast was good too. I was thoroughly entertained by this movie. Acting good.
May 9, 2015
Very unique, somewhat odd, but intriguing movie. Enjoyed!
½ April 29, 2015
easily one of the worst movies i've ever seen, the pacing was terrible, the acting was bad, the plot was rambling at best and random at worst. visual garbage, avoid at all costs
April 29, 2015
Is in a list of "great but under-rated movies I should see" (Apr2015 article)
April 10, 2015
Not a masterpiece, but to close.
½ April 4, 2015
extremely well shot and sublimely acted. A masterclass thriller
March 29, 2015
The movie can't seem to rope in its own excess.
March 27, 2015
This film is so strange and bizarre, yet it shines as a cinematographic feat. With excellent acting, pace, and twists and turns, this strange out of this world horror movie turns into something so much more.
March 20, 2015
Mroe evidence that Park Chan-wook is the greatest living director of genre film.
March 18, 2015
As the English-language directorial debut of South Korean filmmaking maestro Park Chan-wook and screenwriting debut of Prison Break's Wentworth Miller, Stoker is a gothic coming of age tale for India as her life intertwines with that of her enigmatic, mysterious and estranged uncle on the day of the death of her father. India soon finds her uncle being drawn towards herself for unknown reasons, while strange occurrences begin to emerge on the Stoker estate through a needlessly protracted series of events.

Miller displays somewhat of an aptitude when it comes to writing violence and suspense, but the actor's first outing as a screenwriter weighs down on the movie like a child being buried alive under an insurmountable amount of dirt. The actor-writer touches on the human psyche, for a longing towards connection and love, but doesn't quite delve into it headfirst. Despite the sweeping, beautiful shots and powerful performances by the trio of Wasikowska, Goode and Kidman, Stoker's story meanders more often than not as it opts to develop the characters and history of Charlie at an excruciating pace; the problem isn't simply that the payoff to Stoker isn't worth the 99 minutes running time, but that the narrative journey towards the end is lackluster and predictable almost in its entirety.

What Stoker lacks in terms of the narrative oomph familiar to the previous works of Park Chan-wook, it makes up with everything else from the director's constant collaborator, the cinematographer Chung-hoon Chung, and the score by the talented Clint Mansell. Stoker is without a shadow of a doubt an atmospheric piece of cinema, both self-indulging and aesthetically beautiful under Park Chan-wook's direction and cinematography by the eyes behind Oldboy (2003), Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (2005) and Thirst (2009). But as Jupiter Ascending recently proved, being pretty isn't enough for a movie to maintain longevity, or even to achieve acclaim. The takeaway for the audience is little, while for Miller, it gives him a shot at refining his writing, and for Park Chan-wook to not abandon the potential that comes from directing another tale in the English language.
March 15, 2015
This movie is fascinating. In all aspects. It has an American Gothic type feel to it that pervades the whole movie. The cinematography is always fascinating to watch and the sound design is really striking. As an overall assessment, director Chan-wook Park nails it. Also, for being Wentworth Miller's first produced script, it's an impressive one. The leading cast also impresses. I mean, Nicole Kidman can play the crazy mother all day every day, so that was great. Matthew Goode is ungodly creepy, and Mia Wasikowska uses her quiet intensity really well in this. This is a dark, twisted, coming of age story that I highly recommend.