Stolen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stolen Reviews

November 4, 2014
Let's just say that Cage has done better films.
½ November 1, 2014
I watched it for 10 minutes and knew it wasn't worth another second.
½ October 18, 2014
Really bad movie! Only watched it because it was filmed in New Orleans. Just terrible.
½ September 30, 2014
Por que Nicolas Cage sigue haciendo este tipo de peliculas de tercera? terrible...
September 24, 2014
An overall unimpressive film even for superstar Nicolas Cage doing what he does best, saving it from being even worse. The plot is lopsided and the balance between mystery and thrills is unclear as well as some bland and totally sterile acting that makes up for something both cliche and dull.
½ September 21, 2014
Nicolas Cage hits rock bottom and gives us a film that is just the same as Taken.
½ August 22, 2014
This movie just so disappointing. It had a good old plot, but it just failed to create the thrill.
August 19, 2014
This is part bank heist, part Taken rip off and 100% naff. It's difficult to know where to start, the first thing was the really bad soundtrack that accompanies the film. Within the first few minutes you're distracted by the bad score that makes this sound like a Saturday afternoon cop show from the 90's. Once you've got used to the bad music you come to the sad realisation that you're watching a seriously b-grade movie with phoned in performances full of cliches and stereotypes following a very predictable storyline.
It's a real shame because a couple of days ago I watched a really good Nicholas Cage film called The Frozen Ground and then I see this mess. Disappointing choice Mr Cage .
August 6, 2014
This movie is so bad it's funny. Perhaps that's it, it's meant to be a comedy. Does Nicholas Cage have no self respect.
July 16, 2014
At one point in this film the stakes are high. Where Nic Cage breaks his own hand to get it out of handcuffs.
½ July 14, 2014
95 minutes of awesome.
July 12, 2014

The thing about most Nicholas Cage movies is that I can never decide whether it's the actual movie that sucks, or just Nicholas Cage. Would "Stolen" have been a good movie had Liam Neeson played the main character? Or could even his badassery not save this train wreck of a script? It's certainly one of the great questions of our age, and one that would probably have stay unanswered if I hadn't already seen "Taken" (hint: it's really, really good. And Nicholas Cage free. Quite the coincidence, huh?).

Another couple of questions that could probably be answered if I wanted to waste my time thinking them through:

What's up with Nicholas Cage's face? Is that Botox? A face lift? ...Both?

Why does Malin Åkerman insist on speaking Swedish in every movie she's in? And in every interview?

Why should I root for the main character? Because he's a hardened criminal with enough morals not to kill an innocent bystander? Because he swears that he's a reformed man post-prison, even though it turns out he spent most of the time locked up dreaming up a heist?

How is Nicholas Cage's character not completely technologically challenged after eight years' incarceration? How can he navigate the FBI's database with such ease yet not know what a GPS is?

Why hasn't the bank upgraded to a better safe? Why are the tunnels beneath their gold stash completely unguarded and so very accessible?

Why do the FBI storm buildings without securing the exits? Why do they keep on getting their butts handed to them? Why are they so completely incompetent?

Again, who does this movie want me to root for? The creepy ex-con with the emotional depth of a puddle? The FBI agents who should've shot him in the leg already (but who probably would have missed because just look at them!)? The one legged kidnapper who's so angry and revengeful that he's a caricature? The daughter in distress who I know next to nothing about except that as a little girl she liked Care Bears?

Why can't I muster up any feelings except a vague sense of bewilderment when it comes to this movie? Why don't I even dislike it? Is it because disliking it would mean that I had to feel something for it? Would it even be possible for me to summon up enough feeling to dislike such a bland display of blah blah blah?

tl;dr - Watch "Taken" instead.
July 8, 2014
Tim Harlend (Danny Huston): As grandma Harlend used to said, love makes time pass, and time is
certain to make love pass.

This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be; granted, it's not that good either. Nicholas Cage (who plays Will Montgomery) gave a fairly lackluster performance. I remember a time when Nic Cage won an Academy Award, where has that guy gone? I understand that not every role is Academy Award caliber but at least try not to phone it in, you're still getting paid, right? Josh Lucas (Vincent) was cool and probably the best character in the whole film. Malin Ackerman was the token hottie and was nothing more than just window-dressing, any other eye-candy could have played her part. The story was interesting enough and I have to admit, the concluding caper was pretty clever; but the film was just too drawn out. There were just too many inconsequential events that just slowed the pacing down and made the film a little too boring. Overall, it was tolerable but not worthy of a repeat viewing. Once was enough.
½ June 23, 2014
In addition to being built around a plot that unashamedly rips off 2008's Taken, it's a sloppily assembled example of slapdash filmmaking. I say SKIP IT!!!
½ June 2, 2014
Kind of a smash-up between Taken, The Italian Job (or really any heist movie), and Cage's own Gone in 60 Seconds, Stolen is anything but original.

It's popcorn-kicking fun; aka, the more you can turn your brain off, the more enjoyable the experience will be. And it's hard to fault Stolen for that since it doesn't set its sights higher. "I am Stolen," it says. "I am what I am."

It starts off a bit slowly as we Mission Impossible our way to the bank robbery that puts our main character, Will, in prison. But once he's out of prison (8 years, or about 2 movie seconds, later) his daughter gets kidnapped and is held for ransom.

Essentially. It's more convoluted and unbelievable than that.

Actually, "convoluted" and "unbelievable" describe this whole movie. The plot strains the bounds of credibility. I think I tend to suspend disbelief more than most people, and even I found myself saying "LOL REALLY?" way too often. The plot binds itself into too many corners to adequately escape from, so it just flubs the details.

When I phrase it like that it almost sounds respectable: "Eh, to hell with the thinkers. Here's the story WE want." Logic be damned.

Throw in some really unbelievable and awkward dialogue and you've got a terrible movie that still ends up being fun. It's a hard movie to hate, but also a hard movie to respect.
April 11, 2014
About an average action movie. A bit unrealistic in places but gripping enough throughout not to get bored. Okay one time but wouldn't be interested in watching it again.
½ April 9, 2014
Editing to fast paced, the continuity slightly fails being realistic, and some actions are badly choreographed. For a cheap film it's pretty good, but the concept was probably too much for such a little budget.
April 5, 2014
Really should stop watching Cage movies
March 29, 2014
It is all right, just about what I have come to expect from a Nicolas Cage movie. Not a good script but has its moments of excitement.
½ March 29, 2014
A former thief (Nicholas Cage) frantically searches for his missing daughter (Sami Gayle), who has been kidnapped and locked in the trunk of a taxi.

also stars Josh Lucas, Danny Huston, Malin Akerman, Edrick Browne, Mark Valley, Barry Shabaka and M.C. Gainey.

directed by Simon West.