Stolen Seas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stolen Seas Reviews

½ July 1, 2015
Nuanced and interesting film!
May 31, 2015
5/31/15 Netflix

The third leg on the Somali piracy stool, Captain Phillips, Fishing Without Nets and now Stolen Seas. Hollywood main stream, European/African acted and documentary. This film may be the best and most in depth in telling all aspects of the story and covering all the problems from the business, ethnic and geo political aspects. Somalia is a screwed country as are the majority of its citizens.
½ June 16, 2014
The amazing thing about this documentary is that it tells the other side of piracy in the gulf of Aden...story of a country (Somalia) abandoned by the international world even when its neighbours get much-sought help after their respective independence. In a country where there is absolutely no way of escaping poverty (except thru crime and corruption), these pirates are simply looking to improve the lives of their families and their villages. This documentary opens our eyes about the fact that the Western countries choose to tackle the problem by sending more battleships to deter the piracy problem instead of helping to build schools and hospitals to ameliorate the conditions of Somalians. Sad.
June 1, 2014
Anything Somali Pirates I enjoy. So this is going to get a high mark. Interestingly enough though this was some good incite on the pirates and where they come from. I think the best tidbit of information is that they are all ex-fishermen who couldn't fish anymore because of American assholes. Truth is, while yes they can't fish as much, most of them are not ex-fishermen. They are just assholes. That's life for ya. Good Concept, Good Execution.
February 12, 2014
Splendidly done documentary that explores the problem of piracy in the gulf of Aden and the geo political and economical factors behind it.
February 7, 2014
This is one of the best docs I've seen in a long while. The filmmakers had access to unprecedented players in this actual dramatic event. I saw the movie and liked it so much that I bought and made my snobby filmmaker friends watch it. They agreed. It's amazing!
October 30, 2013
This movie should be seen by everyone.
March 28, 2013
A captivating and dangerous ride into the world of high seas piracy. Mr. Payne is a fearless filmmaker who constructs his story with an eye on the larger geo-political context.
February 11, 2013
Awesome documentary about Somolian Pirates... check it out!
January 20, 2013
That's a subject I'd like to know more about.
January 19, 2013
A great film on the reality of Somalian piracy. A must see