Stolen Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stolen Summer Reviews

September 16, 2015
As a theologian, I had some issues with it. Aside from those, it was a very sweet film, and an impressive debut, both for Pete Jones, and for Project Greenlight.
½ April 29, 2014
Not quite. Things don't come together so well. Wide Awake (with Joseph Cross) is a much better movie on the same topic.
April 26, 2014
Wonderful characters with real relationship development about faith, family, and how to be real neighbors.
January 6, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
August 1, 2013
With all the bad reviews I find this movie actually pretty good if anyone who knows kids know that these children play the roles well being that they are children the movie was heart felt and brought the picture of religion into light in a that is real and although there are differences we all look to God and that shows without overpowering the audience and or telling the audience to pick a side which I think is wonderful. I say see it for yourself and decide for yourself.
July 28, 2013
I understand the criticism, most Jewish people would criticize this film. My personal opinion, it's far too clean for the everyday movie watcher and too moralistic for the secular crowd. I think it is a wonderful story and enjoyed it.
February 8, 2013
Aidan Quinn gives it his best but he can't save this failed experiment from horrible child acting, poor pacing, and a story that feels like it belongs on a Hallmark special.
January 22, 2013
Really good film, I'm not going to lie. Although, Bonnie Hunt steals it.
October 25, 2012
As long as the final result of Project Greenlight was this weak, at least the process of getting it made was fun to watch. The performances from all of the adults were good, but the two kids, the story and the sappiness of it is just too many crappy factors rolled into one movie. It's kind of a shock that this is the script that won.
½ January 3, 2012
What was the point of this movie?
August 20, 2011
A very good film that looks at spirituality through a young boys eyes, through his quest, the adults around him learn to appreciate there and others veiws.
½ May 14, 2011
Free trip to Heaven.
½ January 24, 2011
Not bad, really, but I don't have much to say about it. I don't want to further dump on a movie that's so earnest and got such poor critical response, especially since it was largely a victim of impossible hype. But if I'm being honest, then yes, this was less compelling than the behind-the-scenes series.
½ December 27, 2010
Wow, it is a sweet story. Growing up Catholic made it very relevant for me. Bonnie Hunt is always great as a Mom!!
December 13, 2010
Interesting story exploring community and the family unit.
½ December 9, 2010
Not many folk have liked this, but I did. It's schmaltzy, and requires suspension of disbelief. Eleanor's comment was 'kids aren't like that', but for me Adi Stein's performance was sincere and convincing. It put me into that innocent place of being eight and having a grand plan. Maybe I was just feeling vulnerable, but I was moved by this film. Leave your critical faculties at the door and enjoy it too.
November 26, 2010
Sweet. Well done. Bitter sweet. A great date movie.
½ November 9, 2010
Terrible. I went through the whole thing expecting SOME sort of truth to be learned in the end. The kid starts out confused and ends up even more confused. So it ends with the following message: "Jesus" is just a symbol, so we could make up any name to pray to and heaven will await us. Perfect, let's just make it all up as we go, shall we...I want my hour and a half back.
November 7, 2010
Clichà (C) but touching.
November 4, 2010
The one glaring problem with this movie is that the acting is very much on the surface. Which is too bad, because the story is really quite good. Bonnie Hunt and Aidan Quinn's performances were good, but the rest all seemed a bit forced. This is worth seeing, I just wish it had gone a bit deeper.