Stone Boy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stone Boy Reviews

October 6, 2010
Wednesday, October 6, 2010

(1984) The Stone Boy

Before serious drama films such as "You Can Count On Me" and "In The Beroom" their were older films such as "The Stone Boy" released in 1984! Now, I was already aware that this film was liked by critics and I bothered to never read any of the reasons why because I "didn't" want to read anything to deter me from seeing it since most drama films are clice with many of life's lessons and cheesy speeches resulting me to 'not' wanting to watch drama films even more!

The movie starts off with an unfortunate tragedy that blames no one in farming country Montana during the early 80's. The rest of the film showcases the reactions as well as the affects that occured as a result of this tragedy which includes rejection, isolation and blame - all are natural reactions that one would expect to see from a well written novel! It works well because the film does not ask any kind of resolution and is extremely "subtle" in regards of it's storyline. Anybody expecting alot of dialogue is going to be gravely dissappointed. Much of the story relies more on facial and physical expressions than on dialogue to carry the movie along and it's done very well by the cast!
Upon my second viewing to write this review was a much harder to do even though I really liked what I saw upon my first experience because I was already aware about the actions that occured as a result but managed to determine that film on a different light by interpreting it as a psyhcological study as well as the affects to a family and anybody else much from the eyes of a 12 year old brilliantly played by Jason Presson as Arnold. The film also stars Robert DuVall as the father and Glenn Close as the mother who should be remembered for this role and not as the fanatic lunatic in "Fatal Atractions"- I find these subtle roles much harder to do because I want see characters that I can identify!

I wish to give this film a much higher rating but the thing is that because I live in a city and not on the countryside- I feel that alot has changed since then, but still very effective nonetheless! A very high 'B'!

3 out of 4 stars
May 9, 2010
A meditative movie of isolation, both rural & emotional. When a devastating event occurs, none of the country folk farmers have the skills to commune their grief. The fragile family implodes & splinters while the 12 year old protagonist at the center searches for meaning, forgiveness and catharsis. Beautiful images of a boy wandering through the desolation of nature looking for a strangers shoulder to cry on. Wonderful cast (a young Dean Cain, Robert Duvall, Glenn Close, Frederic Forrest, Wilford Brimley, Linda Hamilton and the unknown - to me at least - Jason Presson as the Stone Boy) in a small deliberate movie.
½ December 22, 2008
How did they get all these actors to sign up for this??! Did they read the script?
Much melodrama. Excellent cinematography.
Nice to see the little known Jasson Presson. Although, am I really supposed to believe that after being a "Stone Boy" for 2 hours, he would suddenly unload all the troubles of his heart onto a total stranger on a bus named Linda Hamilton?? (presumably before she had given birth to the leader of the resistance)
What's this movie about? The only thing I know is where Wilford Brimley goes, comfort follows.
December 28, 2007
Worst Movie ever filmed!

Seriously, worst movie ever filmed...
July 2, 2007
I only liked this film because it made my boyfriend weep like a little girl.
July 1, 2007
If you like guns, car chases and frontal nudity, you will not love this film.
June 11, 2006
Good idea for a story but incredibly slow and boring movie.