Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stone Reviews

December 24, 2013
Nice perfomeses of the 3 leads , but soon forgotten i gues
December 7, 2013
Great to see one of my favorite actors and one of the most underrated actors, Ed norton, play a different role. De Niro, however was very bland. I liked the idea of the story but it could've been more fully developed. The score was incredible but the editing was lacking: some scenes seemed irrelevant, while important transitional scenes were missing.
November 17, 2013
Slow psychological thriller but good performances.
½ November 5, 2013
dragged on for sure n left u wanting more action
October 10, 2013
waste of good talented actors, no bueno.... save yourselves please.
½ September 23, 2013
Sort of funny but got a bit boring
½ September 12, 2013
I saw this movie a while ago when it first came out and never thought of it again. When I recently added it to my collection on a whim, and watched it again, it was so much better. The plot is crazy in different ways but it has that subtle point that instantly throws itself in your face. I am just a huge fan of Edward Norton and he does good as fake transformation overtakes him and he fools everyone. Robert Deniro does what he does best with any character in any film and that is beating the living shit out of it until it belongs to him. Milla Jovovich was sexy as always and vindictive in ways. I can't really explain it all, but the film just clicks, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
½ August 17, 2013
The story is about Jack Mabry played by Robert De Niro who works as a parole officer and is heading for retirement after years of service. His final assignment involves inmate Gerald "Stone" Creeson played by Edward Norton who is sent a ten-fifteen year sentence in prison. Convicted of setting a fire to make the murder of his grandparents look like an accidental death, Stone will do anything to get out from behind bars and his wife Lucetta played by Milla Jovovich is willing to do whatever it takes to help secure her husband's freedom -- including seducing Jack. Meanwhile, Jack's wife madylyn played by Frances Conroy has suffered with the emotional weight of her husband's demanding job for far too long. I understand that this movie is hard to rate even for me but what everyone is missing out is the religious complexity that cannot be handed as a mystery thriller. It leans more towards the psychological thriller side because of its deeper themes. Stone gets a 7/10.
August 2, 2013
the ending wasn't that good
July 18, 2013
One Edward Norton Film, 1999's Fight Club Is One Of My Favorite Films.
½ July 16, 2013
I didn't get it. Not sure if it was good or bad. This movie was definitely not made for me. Didn't draw me in. All the main characters seemed to be "bad guys" Only checked it out cause of the familiar actors in it. Rent at your own risk.
July 9, 2013
A gripping film with dark feel to it. great performance from norton, jovovich, deniro. keeps you guessing and wondering. I thoroghly enjoyed.
June 29, 2013
A parole officer on the edge of retirement, a convict who is about to be released and a confused girlfriend are the building blocks for this drama. Jack (DeNiro) is the parole officer who is writing a report on soon to be released Stone. As you can imagine Jack's report will go a long way to determining Stone's fate. Jack is a - I'm coming to the end of my life and questioning what it all means - kind of guy. Of course this leads him to make a stupid decision and the movie goes from there. Norton - who plays Stone - kind of gets on my nerves here largely because of his accent. It's hard not to compare this performance with American History X and to be honest there is no comparison. I'm not sure where the actor from American History X went but he didn't really show up for Stone. Also Milla Jovovich playing the weird girlfriend who would do anything for her incarcerated boyfriend, but doesn't really seem to love her incarcerated boyfriend is strangely cast. Just didn't buy into her intensity - can't say anything other than "that was weird." Initially I thought the story let the actors down, know I've changed my mind and think the actors may have let the story down. DeNiro was okay, the rest I could have done without.
½ June 23, 2013
i didn't not like it, but i didn't really like it either. took me until about the very end to find it intriguing. there were a few ponderous thoughts thrown at you; which was nice, and you'd think with such a great cast like Robert DeNiro, Edward Norton and Mila Jovovich you'd get a fairly decent film... i don't know. i guess i the plot just didn't grab me.
½ May 30, 2013
Absolutely Depressing, with the ending you would think the storyline was a pitch for a new religion.
May 27, 2013
I love Ed Norton but this sucked. Way to slow and not engaging.
½ April 29, 2013
Not one of their better movies. Could of had more to it.
½ April 18, 2013
I only gave it this good of a rating because it's the lowest it can be.
½ March 23, 2013
Symbolism and interpretation. Stone relies heavily on these two concepts with fantastic results. The morally ambiguous characters, coarse language, and heavy themes by no means make this an easy movie to watch. That, however, doesn't mean it has no value. Incredible performances from De Niro, Norton, and Jovovich took me by surprise, considering the panning this movie's received. An unexpected ghetto accent from Norton was an interesting surprise, not a cringe-inducing gimmick or failure. The eerie soundtrack pervaded the film, chilling, digging its claws into your psyche at every frigid outburst or calmly destructive decision. Permeating into every scene with unnervingly soothing malice, it casts a shadow over proceedings that can hardly be overstated. The atmosphere is excellent, and one can scarcely accuse it of tedium in its theology. Venerated by Stone's plot, I felt no slowing of time, eagerly awaiting the next advancement. The religious metaphors, in addition, are endless. Tiring to some? Absolutely, but I found them neither preachy nor heavy-handed, as some have suggested. Deeply depressing or insightful and renewing, you can choose which way you want to have Stone. No matter what, you'll find yourself deep in thought by the end of it.
February 27, 2013
At first i thought this was a good movie, but it turned out to be very disappointing.