The Stoning of Soraya M. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Stoning of Soraya M. Reviews

July 10, 2016
Powerful and very sad.
March 29, 2016
160329: How do I rate a film that disgusted me? The truth hurts sometimes. You know where this film is going and you're just waiting for it to happen. It's nice to know the world is such a wonderful place and that we believe people who have such values can be converted through exposure. Seeing the children gathering stones was very impactful and had me eager to see the future (that's sarcasm in case you're too primitive to pick it up). Got to love religious passion. Anything can be justified. Good work people.
½ January 17, 2016
I pray that this story exposes the barbaric practices and thinking of people who claim Allah is so good. Women deserve to be protected, valued and cherished. Without mothers, the human race will become extinct. Bad things happen when good people do nothing. This movie is moving to the core. It is a tragic and unthinkable to believe this happens to this day.
December 26, 2015
Very well done. Powerful movie telling a heartbreaking story.
November 20, 2015
Very difficult to watch. Women should never be treated like that.
June 28, 2015
This moving was heartbreaking
May 9, 2015
Absolutely brilliant film. Tells a story we should all be aware of. It's a hard watch but well worth it. This is not a Sunday afternoon chill out film.
½ April 13, 2015
Powerful, moving, anger-inducing indictment on mob rule, injustice, modern-day barbarism and religious zealotry and manipulation.

The ending might be obvious from the title, but the back story is incredibly powerful. The event itself is brutally graphic, and demonstrates the effect of the irrational behaviour that came before it.

Based on a true story, the plot is solid, as is the direction. The performances by the leads - Shohreh Aghdashloo and Mozhan Marno - are excellent.

A must-see, but not for the faint-hearted.
March 7, 2015
La larga secuencia de la lapidación es terriblemente bárbara, cruda e inhumana creando un clímax de horror hacia el espectador, y la representación de la película de los acontecimientos que condujeron a ella pinta un cuadro horroroso de la impotencia de las mujeres en Irán durante el período de la revolución islámica del 1979.
½ December 22, 2014
A well acted but distressing film that must be seen.
½ September 6, 2014
Been meaning to watch this for ages and had high expections!!! Well there is proof that I'm human, I can count on one hand the amount of films I've shed a tear over and there was definitely blurring of the eyes on this one. The storyline is strong and drives the film completely, I rarely make anything male or female issues, but this made for tough watching as a woman, I'd like to think it did the same to men watching too. Powerful film, opens up many lines of debate and above all brings awareness that this kind of thing still goes on
July 18, 2014
Five stars are not enough to describe how amazingly fantastic this movie is
½ June 8, 2014
Hypocrites rule the world where Innocence is Irrelevant--A surreal-fantasy-noir that operates completely on its own inner logic!!
May 20, 2014
Brilliant casting, and excellent acting. The stoning itself is cringe worthy but a just for people to realize that evil cannot be photoshopped for the the best effect, I mean seriously - what did you expect, CGI? After watching movies like Philosophy of A Knife and Martyrs, where violence is the theme, I think this film portrays real life stoning in the best possible way ever done on screen...and the collision sounds with the head and face are just too realistic...and the bleeding as well....it's a movie for ER trainees...I really sympathize with Soraya's character as she started crying after the first stone hit her, even after her father missed, as the one that hit her was from her husband...really realistic. And the plot is predictable right from the title...it's a world famous story already...you did not come here to watch the breakfast of Soraya! Her husband was well played though the dialogues and facial expressions were a little too filmy...Zahras character was played admirably by the Iranian film star to really good effect, she held it together.. The niece was easy on the eyes and played well....her stares were the best, and beautiful hair as well. Don't watch it with kids, but let them watch it when they grow up, to learn to respect women and abhor the evils of this world..goddamn Muslim dogs, who treat their women like this?
½ May 17, 2014
Saw the movie a while ago, unlike some I found it to be very sad and powerful. It points out how powerless women are at the whim of men in some societies. It shows how your neighbors, children and family can turn against you. It was very insightful!
May 6, 2014
This movie made me cry.
When the laws of countries are based on Abrahamic Scriptures, women have their innocence when being accused by her husband and will have to prove her husband's guiltiness if she dares to accuse him.
March 11, 2014
I just finished watching The Stoning of Soraya M. and it was worth my time and attention. Men must be taught how to love and respect women, anything less is tragic at best, and horrific at it's worst like this story of injustice. (Honestly I fast forwarded it through most of the stoning... I can't just sit there and watch injustice like that played out before my eyes.)
February 24, 2014
The director, writer and the entire cast produced a film that not only honors the memory of the real Soraya but brings this barbaric practice to the forefront so that one day this practice can be completely eradicated so another human being will not suffer such an agonizing and brutal murder ever again!

Extremely graphic content that was NOT gratuitous but necessary for all to witness for the sake of all of it's victim's whom have no voice! This is still happening in some countries today!

Well crafted, superb acting and great directing! A story you won't soon forget!
½ February 23, 2014
the faulty mechanisms of human society resulting in a terrible murder; this excellent film may produce permanent brain damage
½ February 9, 2014
A gripping true story that will challenge your inner person. An innocent young lady conspired against in Iran by her husband and his cronies, but the courage of one women prevails.