Stories We Tell - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stories We Tell Reviews

½ March 31, 2015
No me siento cómodo calificando este documental. Su razón de ser es bastante sólida, es bella y hasta poética. Dicho esto, me aburrió hasta la inconsciencia y durante toda la película me pregunté qué me importaban los devenires de una familia canadiense. La pieza no es mala, solo aburrida.
½ March 30, 2015
Sarah Polley made this documentary that's ostensibly about her family. She interviews all of the members of her immediate family as well as many friends of the family to construct a picture of her family. The idea is to show how incomplete one's view of the past is and how truth, if it's arrived at at all, only emerges out of the mix of perspectives.

... or at least that's what the film seems to be about. What starts out being about Polley's parents, their relationship and her mother's premature death of cancer in her late 40s turns into something quite different when we learn some rather surprising facts. The movie becomes about a few unexpected things ... how little we may really know about those who are close to us and what secrets we keep.

I love this film. Although it's about Polley's family, it feels grander in scale. It can't help but make you think about your own past and about your family's past ... What do you really know about the lives your parents lead when you weren't there? How much is your view of the past shaped by your own incomplete perspective?
March 17, 2015
Outdamnstanding, Sarah Polley. This movie has so much depth and frankness to it. I don't want to say a lot other than that it's amazing.
½ March 15, 2015
Fascinating study of a family unafraid to look back in order to move forward.
March 5, 2015
Muy buen documental, muy original y entretenido.
February 10, 2015
Powerful and insightful... My favourite Sarah polley film so far.
½ January 31, 2015
Quite dull, honestly. Who really cares that the mother had an affair and a child by another man which she passed off as her husband's? I'm sure it happens every day and not really of interest to anyone except the family involved. Certainly not enthralling viewing as the subject of a documentary.
Even if it is from Sarah Polley's own life.
½ January 18, 2015
wasn't able to connect with this at all.
January 11, 2015
Such a great story. Told very well though the director stemmed to not have a clear vision from the start. Who would in those circumstances. I love seeing it reach the public...despite it being so personal.
½ December 13, 2014
It was interesting, great story telling!
December 7, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It's an interesting family story & more than that, reminded me that we all have an interesting story to tell. Recommended
December 7, 2014
It's like watching 5 dimensions of a person's life while the sixth dimension can only be constructed out of what we have learnt from the five dimensions... The five dimensions being what people around have to say about the person in focus and the sixth being what the person felt and went through... 'Stories We Tell' is a brave effort, not just for its off-beat narrative but also for the amount of personal life being made open to public here... This is a revolutionary step in the way stories have been told through the medium of films...
½ November 29, 2014
A very affectionate investigative documentary with an intriguing narrative that unfolds organically thanks to Sarah Polley's remarkably tactful film-making, which manages to overcome the cliches of the genre.
November 20, 2014
Alan Moore once wrote "There's a notion I'd like to see buried: the ordinary person. Ridiculous. There is no ordinary person."

Even the most commonplace of people may have the most startling depths, and while the brilliant Sarah Polley may not exactly belong to an everyday family, she provides a shining embodiment of Moore's words in this wonderful film, marvelously unwinding her late mother's life and revealing layer after layer of surprising secrets.

Ingeniously narrated, funny, warm and moving - this is a treasure that I am glad I discovered. Watch it!
November 1, 2014
Along with Andrew Jarecki's Capturing The Friedmans, Sarah Polley's turning of the camera to her own past is an exercise in the uncertainty of memory where secrets unveiled seem less real than what we actually remember.
October 29, 2014
Love is so short, forgetting is so long. This movie will be hard to forget. Through this very intimate memoir Sarah Polley explores her own identity, family relationships and something more meaningfull than truth, love. Completely charmed with this one.
September 28, 2014
I was absolutely floored by this film. A dissection of not only the documentary genre but of storytelling in general. Polley has crafted a beautiful film that, as the layers are peeled back, feels like the closer you get to the truth, the further you travel from it. An important film, no doubt about it.
September 24, 2014
Sarah Polley is a great and beautiful actress. She is also a great producer / director.
September 20, 2014
Interesting subject but left me with one question:
Where's the anger?
A woman leaves behind her a trail of lies and deception.
First by failing to protect the children of her first marriage (because of the controling husband and retarded court system). Then by cheating on her second husband (his fault, for being "a dead wombat" in bed) and then by lying about the fatherhood of the lovechild (because Hubby is not giving her the love she deserves). And nobody's angry at her? The closest we get to the subject of parental responsability is when Mark is being interviewed and talks about her falure to protect her kids; and interestingly he chokes up and that's the end of that. Throughout the movie she is cast as a victim and that made me quite uncomfortable. By Michael's own admission, how much does it mean to share a good portion of one's life with someone, namely 25 years? And consequently, how much would it hurt to be lied to for half of that time, on the subject of your own fatherhood no less? Well, didn't seem to make him hurt nor angry...
I don't buy it. I still liked the movie, it's got a good deep subject, had me thinking about it afterwards. It's just too bad that we're missing a whole angle.
September 15, 2014
A documentary with a plot twist of Shyamalanian caliber.