Storm Center - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Storm Center Reviews

½ April 18, 2016
Saw this at my library for "Censorship Month." It slowly, stealthily ratcheted up the tension. Yes, about the McCarthy era, but also about freedom of thought, education and the importance of libraries to a civilized society.
½ January 9, 2015
not bad late career Davis
½ January 2, 2015
Funny how history repeats itself. Bette Davis's speech to the council about the dangers of allowing a hostile government or dictator to force us into self censorship could have been written yesterday. This Is a very thoughtful work, with strong characters conveying an important message that is as relevant today as it was in 1956.
½ September 7, 2013
A bit overwrought in execution but the film's message of the dangers of censorship and unfounded gossip is a strong one.
January 12, 2009
Found an out of print copy of this flick & truly enjoyed seeing it. Brian Keith of Family Affair TV fame plays Davis' nemesis in this movie about censorship with a Cold War feel. (It came out in 1956, the height of the McCarthy witch hunt era.) It deserves more stars than folks are giving it, I think, for the storyline & the content. I read that Bette Davis was disappointed in the casting of the young boy who was central to the story & I tend to agree he did not make the most sympathetic picture as the storyline needed. But all in all worth a watch, particularly for librarians, & anyone who needs to be reminded of the dangers of censorship gone amuck!
½ December 12, 2008
well acted and great cast