The Story of Louis Pasteur - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Story of Louis Pasteur Reviews

½ July 18, 2016
A very cliched and typical hollywood biopic of the era buoyed by Muni's outstanding and charismatic performance. The moments he's not on the screen are painful indeed.
½ April 15, 2014
Muni does the biopic over and over and over and over again in his career. Sometimes he falls short but often he is brilliant as he is here as Louis Pasteur.
½ February 22, 2014
The movie is good. There is simply nothing exceptional about it besides Paul Muni's performance. The dialogue could be better and the supporting characters could be more interesting, but all in all, it isn't bad. It is simply well constructed, and that isn't a bad thing. Whilst it may be simple, it holds our attention, which is the doing of Muni's performance.
January 29, 2014
well crafted bio-pic that showcases paul muni in a role he was born to play
January 11, 2014
The film is well-written, compelling and makes science kind of cool. So, if you want to expose kids to culture and science, this is a good and relatively painless way to do it.
½ February 3, 2013
Stale, dated autobiographical movie of the iconic doctor, portrayed by Paul Muni, who is on the verge of finding the cure for anthrax. He becomes the hype of the village and everyone seems to respect him. Hard to understand how this film is any bit watchable these days, as it is completely forgettable. Muni is surprisingly better than other films I have recently watched with him, but definitely not Oscar worthy as the Academy awarded him for this. Seems rather ridiculous to have characters who are supposed to be French have English and American(!) accents, which damages the film substantially. Not very good!
July 26, 2011
This looks like a pretty underrated film.
March 16, 2011
Wednesday, March 16, 2011

(1936) The Story of Louis Pasteur

Well constructed story about a real life French chemist and his contributions to vaccination which includes rabies and the 'Black plague'! What's excellent about this film is that despite it's running time of less than a hour and a half, the movie cuts to the chase without dragging it's viewers, and upon watching it as of late, doesn't appear to be old at all, after the first 10 minutes the story builds up to the fantastic finale! Story slightly exaggerated but is necessary to appeal viewers watching this film! Winner of three Oscars including Best Actor for Paul Muni, Best Screenplay and Best Original Story. Lost the Best Picture Oscar to "The Great Ziegfield"!

4/4 stars
February 25, 2010
Oscar win best actor Paul Muni
½ January 5, 2010
Surprisingly enthralling, this is the first of Hollywood's biopic. Paul Muni is wonderful in his Oscar winning role as Louis Pasteur, the brilliant French scientist who changed the face of medicine and hygiene. The plot is pretty predictable and cliched - our hero has a radical thought and must overcome the system to prove his hypothesis - but it builds perfectly. The story is interesting and entertaining and told so simply that it is a joy to watch. I also love that it wastes no time and it's a brief 90 minutes with not much slack. It may not be the most factual history lesson, but its well-dramatized and thought provoking.
½ November 12, 2009
Fine biographical drama of Louis Pasteur's life. Paul Muni is excellent. I can't imagine why this film has never been released in the US on DVD.
November 10, 2009
Outstanding biography of Louis Pasteur, with Paul Muni giving his usual outstanding performance, and this one won him an Oscar. This is yet another great Warner Brothers biography from the 1930's, impeccably produced.
½ August 17, 2009
Pretty good for it's time.
April 18, 2009
Well done story about Louis Pasteur. I really enjoyed it although was short, and left out many details of this amazing scientist's life. The cast was very good, and I particularly enjoyed the vindication at the end. Well worth the watch.
October 28, 2008
The Excellents of Louis Pastuer, The movie does Louis Pastuer great honor of telling his story. His story about his great discovery and his struggle educating the public of micros and their effect on our lives. Paul Muni does an excellent job in portrayaling Doctor Louis Pastuer. This movie would be a great movie for all furture sciencists of this world.
May 21, 2008
Decent, oversimplified biopic. Paul Muni is the only actor who can be typecast as both an iconoclastic 19th century French intellectual (this, Life of Emile Zola) and a 20th century American mobster (Scarface, Angel on my Shoulder).
January 1, 2008
A great biopic from the early days of cinema starring Paul Muni in his Oscar winning role. It goes by quickly, a little too quickly, but it's always interesting. I like the challenge with the sheep, it was well structured. Some parts happened too closely together, for instance, in the same day the sheep challenge is over, Pasteur gets the idea to cure rabies. I know it's a biopic and they can't tell every part of his life, but it could have been done better. Anyway, it's a very good movie and Muni did a wonderful job.
October 18, 2007
I've come to love the performances of Paul Muni through the characters he portrayed in the 30's. He is like a character actor who blends into his character through makeup so fully that you don't recognize him otherwise, and yet he plays the leading man with powerful natural delivery of his lines.
June 24, 2005