Straight Out of Brooklyn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Straight Out of Brooklyn Reviews

February 28, 2016
This was a huge disappointment. Hard to follow and boring. Do not understand why it was critically acclaimed. Just as I a reference I make a point to see many ethnic movies from all over the world every year and saw over 250 films last year.
½ February 24, 2014
Anybody remember this during the height of the New Black Renaissance era of the 80s into the 90s? This is one of those buried treasures that no a lot of people got to see. Matty Rich is confident as a first time director in the very powerful piece involving the defeat of the black man , who is a husband and father, and how his sense of defeat leads to his constant drinking and conflicts with his family, which also includes beating his wife on numerous occasions. This film was lost because of higher profile films like 'Boyz N The Hood' and 'Menace II Society' but it really needs to be resurrected and viewed again. It's one of the most important films that came out of The New Black Renaissance era.
½ March 10, 2011
Though amateurish and technically raw, the film offers a fresh-at-that-time insider's view of the disintegration of one black family, serving as a microcosm of the entire inner-city black community.
October 27, 2010
movie poorly written with a horrible ending. Story line was vague the entire movie and WHO hired these actors?! I was forced to watch this movie for classes and to analyze race, but this movie is bad all the way around.
½ September 9, 2010
Movie was deep!!! O.O
October 16, 2009
Good flick but couldve been better if it was longer
½ April 11, 2009
Although this movie is a bit dated, I love it!! Its raw and and honest. and really depicts the life of the people living in the RH projects during that time. Its full of passion and deeply moving. And spreads the universal message about how our refusal to change our negative habits will only worsen as we reflect them upon our own children and the genrations to come.
½ January 10, 2009
I understand the press on this one, but I liked it as was--unpolished. The ending's rather abrupt.
August 15, 2008
a great debut film whatever happened to Matty Rich?
½ January 5, 2008
It's impressive for a young director. What did Samuel Johnson say about a dog walking?
December 28, 2007
wonderful, groundbreaking movie. But wheres Matty Rich????????????
½ October 24, 2007
Watch the dad break all the dishes - twice.
August 22, 2007
Nice tight little film
July 30, 2007
This movie was heavilly hyped when it was released due mainly to the fact that Matty Rich made was something like 4 years old and made straight out of brooklyn for something like $1.75 It was raw and in your face but it has dated badly
June 10, 2007
basically the eastcoast's answer to boyz n da hood

GREAT GREAT film with good acting
June 7, 2007
This movie is heartbreaking and hilarious!