Straight Jacket - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Straight Jacket Reviews

January 21, 2012
Very campy style with bright colours and cheesy lines and sore thumb CGI, but Michael Emerson's performance and the comedic timings keep it funny and going.
½ July 30, 2011
Thought i would hate it but it was surprisingly funny and a bit over the top but maybe thats the point. An interesting concept and a good movie all around. I actually liked it! B
½ December 27, 2010
Straight up, the funniest gay comedy I've seen. How nice to see a gay themed movie and not wince at the acting or production values. OK, well a few of the CGI establishment shots were wince-inducing, but I think they were supposed to be making fun of matte paintings. This one's a "don't miss".
½ September 18, 2010
This zany and over-the-top movie is good for a few laughs!
½ March 15, 2010
kind of cheesey! but funny! it doesnt suck you in and its not a must see but its good when you have nothing to do and want laugh!
February 5, 2010
A cute movie based on a gay movie star in the 1950's faking a marriage while he loves another guy. Cute and clever at times, but a little over the top at times also. campy fun for some, and lame for others. But more camp than lame.
½ August 7, 2009
Campy, almost funny and a little bit entertaining. Totally forgettable.
May 25, 2009
Tom Lenk!!! Where have you been?!?
½ May 25, 2009
Light gay comedy if you have nothing else to do
½ May 13, 2009
Utterly awesome movie despite the shitey sets and shitey graphics. I absolutely adore it. It's hilarious from start to the end. It's so OTT that it's even more funny. It's a story that can happen so easily, even if it's a weird movie script :P
January 13, 2009
Witty, low budget comedy satirising Hollywood in the 1950`s and it's attitude to gay actors. Richard Day's a script (based on his own stage play) is filled with sharp wit, hilarious puns absurdist situations casting a scathing eye on Hollywood's phoniness. The leads all acquit themselves well and the sets and costumes are excellent for a low budget movie.
December 8, 2008
Settle back and have a laugh at this very camp Hollywood send up. The jokes are thick and fast, some quite sophisticated, others "prat-fall" humour. There are some editing problems, but without a multi-million dollar budget what can one expect? It doesn't pretend to be what it is not, that is what is its saving grace.
October 25, 2008
Very fun, campy film with some great moments and lead actors that throw themselves into the film with gusto and a lot of self-deprecating humour. The timing wasn't always perfect and the hilarity was unfortunately not sustained throughout the whole movie. But overall an entertaining, well-meaning comedy with just a pinch of truth.
August 6, 2008
I surprisingly enjoyed it :).
½ June 4, 2008
If you don't like camp, this movie will not be your cup of tea. It was amazingly campy, on a level that so few movies are. However, unlike most campy movies, it was able to step out of its camp when it needed to be serious. The ending was idealistic beyond belief, but the movie set up that movies have idealist endings, so I was okay with it. My only big qualm with the movie was that I wished it did a little more to make the audience like the main male lead. All in all, a funny little romp with its efforts at seriousness.
April 20, 2008
Pleasant enough, with some truly funny dialogue. Good perfomances, and there is even a ltitle message in this.
April 15, 2008
not bad but we have to keep watching so they keep getting better at it
January 20, 2008
A gay movie star in the 1950's decides to get married to hide his homosexuality from the press. Sounds familiar Rock Hudson.
January 17, 2008
awww how adorable.

while very very cheesy. definitly not an overly good movie but id watch it again for its few and far bewteen hilarious gay scenes.
December 19, 2007
I'm a big fan of gay hollywood, and I guess that made me a bit biased for this movie. But even as I tried re-watching it with a critical view, the only bad things I could truly point out are the horrible 3D-effects and some oddly placed slapstick-moments. Other than that one has to admit that this movie will give anyone a "heart full of happy", both on a superficial level and a deeper one. Plus it has some killer quotes!