The Strange Love of Martha Ivers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers Reviews

½ March 14, 2016
Great story. I liked the contrast between the female characters, and a young Kirk Douglas.
February 11, 2016
I love film noir and this is a good one. First role for Kirk Douglas and he does look young in it. Great role for Barbara Stanwyk too. Melodramatic but dark too. Noir is always fun.
½ August 14, 2015
Wow, not sure how I ever missed this noir...
May 1, 2015
Dark. Very dark. A decent example of film noir. Did not see the end twists coming, but did enjoy it all the way. Brilliant first performance by young Kirk Douglas as "the scared little boy ready to cry".
November 17, 2014
In my eyes Janis Wilson whom played the young Martha Ivers stole the whole show!
August 2, 2014
I have my reservations when it comes to Barbara Stanwyck.
January 9, 2014
A little something off the To-Watch Pile for Movie Shame Monday and a lot of fun, with a great turn from Kirk Douglas as a wild card thrown back into the lives of his childhood friends, who remain convinced that he witnessed their crime and is there to blackmail them in some fashion.

It's interesting to watch the 'little guy' square off against the rich and powerful, if only because they think they can bully him around.

Well worth a look if you can catch it on cable or track it down for rental.
September 24, 2013
Interesting film noir for which a young Martha Ivers (Janis Wilson) attempts to run away with a boy before her controlling, rich aunt (Judith Anderson) intervenes. Instead, Ivers pushes her aunt down a flight of stairs in her mansion and she dies upon impact. As a result, Ivers (Barbara Stanwyck) cannot shake the guilt of her aunts death and is courted now by a another man (Kirk Douglas in his screen debut), who also witnessed her aunt's death when he was child and convinces to forget about her death. However, her runaway boy (Van Heflin) returns, but he is wooed by a younger woman (Lizabeth Scott). Pretty compelling story that leads to a tragic and satisfying conclusion. I like many film noir mysteries and this one that had a sufficient amount of suspense attached to the atmosphere. Pretty nice.
½ May 1, 2013
Barbara Stanwyck is brilliant as Martha and Van Heflin and Kirk Douglas also impress. Lizabeth Scott's performance however is somehat lacklustre and detracts from the strength of this interesting melodrama.
April 30, 2013
I saw this movie many years ago (mainly because of Barbara Stanwyck-one of my favorite actresses) and remembered it as being loooooooong. I just saw it again today and actually really enjoyed this time. Filled with gem performances by a fine cast-Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Kirk Douglas and Lizabeth Scott in a kind of 'Gothic' film noir that has not gotten the kind of respect it deserves.
April 6, 2013
This is a great film noir with a brilliant performance from Barbara Stanwyck. I'm not a big fan of Lisbeth Scott who's very much a second rate Lauren Bacall but even she can't ruin this tense, well written and tautly directed thriller.
½ March 6, 2013
Solid bit of melodrama with Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Lizabeth Scott and Kirk Douglas in his film debut. It's often called film noir, but for me it felt more like a melodrama with noir elements. Stanwyck is in a loveless marriage to a man who knows of her crime she committed 17 years earlier. It's well made, though not up to "Out of the Past" levels of noir greatness or Douglas Sirk levels of melodrama greatness. Still, it's very much worth watching, even just for the cast alone.
February 23, 2013
Not every old movie is golden. Despite an intriguing set-up with delicious melodrama to spare, this non-classic becomes a lugubrious, diffuse bore.
½ February 10, 2013
Good, but Not first-Rate
December 19, 2012
very dark film noir that tends 2 get away with more than it seems 2b getting away with.
½ November 6, 2012
Acting tour de force with great film noir plot--Hidden Dynamism!!
September 30, 2012
Did the same part of the score play for the entire movie?
August 26, 2012
Despite having a very interesting main idea, "The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers" doesn't manage to become particularly remarkable. The script is uneven, the acting either hyperbolic or plain uninteresting (only Kirk Douglas is actually good in what was his first role) and, overall, there's nothing really memorable about it all. It does have some good scenes and ideas, but it's too long and unfocused.
June 20, 2012
3: I'm a huge Lizabeth Scott fan (8x10 glossy photos and everything), so this fairly run-of-the-mill film noir gets a thumbs up in my book. It certainly isn't Stanwyck's of Douglas's best performance, but they both carry it off well enough. The main issue I have with the film is that I can't seem to match up the adult characters with the children. I feel like they do this better today. Still, a noir is a noir and it is worth seeing.