The Strange Woman Reviews

• Nov 19, 2020

While this film doesn't necessarily feel like a film noir, Hedy Lamarr is a revelation as a femme fatale and the film kept me guessing until the end. Terrific hidden gem.

• Oct 07, 2020

This woman is not strange, this woman is straight up rude and vile. She was really getting on my nerves.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jun 11, 2018

Edgar G. Ulmer directs this unusual cautionary tale about what can happen should a beautiful girl grow up without a mother = she can become a shrewd and evil manipulator of men. Hedy Lemarr is great as a bad, bad " I don't want to be bad" woman in this dark tale, aided by a steady George Sanders as a "good" guy (for a change). Louis Hayward and Gene Lockhart are a surprise too, all given a chance to shine outside of the typical formulaic Hollywood roles usually assigned them, to stretch and play characters totally different than the cash cow cliches Hollywood endorsed. An interesting watch.

• Jan 21, 2018

Hedy Lamarr is so irresistible and twisted in the movie that fulls it completely.

• Jan 08, 2017

Hedy Lamarr plays a femme fetal of the first order in this costume drama that plays out more like a film noir plot. The film starts with Lamarr's character as a child pushing a boy into the river who she knows can't swing and only saves him after an adult sees the boy drowning. Cut to an adult Lamarr, who is equally manipulative and callous, set out to marry the richest man in town. But wait, after marrying him she set her sights on her son. (SPOILER ALERT) But wait, after seducing the son and convincing him to murder his father, she then seduces another businessman, George Sanders, in order to get more money. Lamarr is an amazing femme fetal and I would LOVE to have seen her in a contemporary noir like "Out of the Past" instead of a costume drama. If this film had been set in a LA Noir type of setting, I think this film would have been a classic. Directed by Edgar G. Ulmer, who spent most of his career making memorable B-pictures got a A-list cast this time around and bring a lot of style to the film. Overall, this is a pretty solid little thriller that's elevated by Ulmer's direction and a gorgeously seductive Lamarr, but is sadly saddled the the trappings of a costume drama instead of a seductive contemporary (or at least 1940s) noir setting.

• Aug 30, 2016

A bit slow, especially considering the audience mostly knows what's going to happen for the first half. Got better -- and a little more interesting -- when George Sanders arrived about halfway through and the pace picked up. His acting is subtle and compelling, as always (though with his accent, he isn't convincing when he says he "should have stayed in the woods"). The rest of the cast is mixed. See it if you love to look at the beautiful faces and hear the different accents. Also, if you like source music, including hymns and a rendition of "What Shall We Do With the Drunken Sailor."

• Jul 16, 2014

What a woman wants...a woman gets... Hedy Lamarr in a sultry mood--More fun than most modern, more flamboyant film efforts!!

• Bruce B Super Reviewer
    Mar 14, 2013

This Film I obtained from the Mill Creek Dark Crimes Collection. Directed by Edgar G Ulmer and at times I could see some Hitchcock influence in this movie, Women haven't changed much since 1946 as this one schemes to get everything she wants, including any man no matter if she's married or not. All about cheating and where it leads to. A film way ahead of its time in 1946. Video quality could have been better, you might be able to see this through internet archives. 3 1/2 stars 3-14-13

• Dec 12, 2012

All in all it is what it is..an old fashined melodrama but not too bad, i did enjoy it although the story is a same old same old.

• Feb 20, 2012