A Stranger Among Us - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

iLeo
December 26, 2007
A personal favorite.
June 19, 2011
I had no idea Melanie had this in her, really solid performance.I really enjoyed the peek inside the Hasidic Jewish Community, Interesting & Lovely.This was a Surprisingly good film.
March 7, 2008
One critic said, "the filmmakers are less interested in solving the crime than in conveying the spiritual dynamism of the Hasidic community." That nails it. It's worth watching for that. The rest is pretty weak.
April 6, 2015
Not much more than a movie of the week.Watchable then easily forgettable thriller.
½ January 6, 2015
Barring the diffused frames which makes up for beautiful cinematography, there's nothing much in the film. The screenplay is weak and too many cliches without a solid motive throughout the story. It was more like a documentary glorifying Hasidism. A movie worth skipping.
½ August 15, 2014
56%

It's WITNESS all over again. Instead of focusing on the Amish, it's the Jewish community this time around. I prefer Weir's version.
October 4, 2012
This is a pretty terrible movie, and does not represent the lives or the customs of the Ultra-Orthodox very well. In addition, Melanie Griffith was simply terrible. Laughably terrible, actually.
I gave it a half star more than I should have just because I was amused by the number of times that Eric Thal's character rejected the character of Melanie Griffith.
August 13, 2008
A STRANGER AMONG US (1992)
½ August 26, 2011
Really Boring Crime-Thriller!!
Suspense is alright but the Movie is complete about the Hasidic Community.
There is no thrill at all in this movie.
The only good thing about the movie is ERIC THAL's performance.
The suspense seem little predictable during the movie.

This movie is about a hardened homicide detective (Griffith), goes undercover to investigate the murder of a Hasidic diamond-cutter.

Direction is just OKEY DOKEY.
Screenplay and Cinematography are average.

The Worst thing about the movie is casting of MALANIE GRIFFITH as Undercover Cop. She didn't suit at all in the cop's role. Although is was good in few scenes.
MIA SARA is impressive in role of leah.
But Wonderful performance by ERIC THAL. He is excellent through out.

ERIC THAL's performance is not good enough to make this movie a worth watch, at the end.. it's time waste crime thriller.