Strangerland Reviews

• Sep 20, 2020

The Australian inland is vast and ferociously beautiful. Evidence to fertile times now long past. The low flat horizons, the sun, glowing like a sustained nuclear explosion, rising each morning and bathing the cracking rocks and dry creak beds with a pitiless light is a perfect setting for this story of personal and marital discontent in a small family in a small Outback town. "Strangerland" is a fragmentary movie that follows the unexplained remoteness of a boy and his older sister. Both are under 15 when they leave home late one night and do not return. The sinister elements of some sort of abuse lurks in the shadows but is never tempered into the light. But it is no clearer once the film's focus shifts to the parents. The hyper-sexuality, problematic in the Daughter, has an ominous echo in her Mother. Overt sexuality in women can still be a powerful driver of a story and that seems to be the essence of "Strangerland". At the end of the movie, after all its alarming suggestions and painfully beautiful photography of our arid and cruel land, I was left uncertain and unsure of what I had just been party to and what I thought had happened. I am no stranger to the incomplete ending. I don't might things left unsaid or resolutions that are yet to evolve, but.............

• Aug 05, 2020

Family drama ai confini del mondo, il cast ottimo aiuta ad immedesimarsi, specialmente la Kidman, ottima interprete di un personaggio poco credibile. Nel complesso il film passa da momenti di suspance molto interessanti a conversazioni più piatte e poco credibili. Finale dolce amaro che ho apprezzato.

• Apr 17, 2020

Appalling story, very poor plot development, doesn't even give you a satisfying ending. Absolute waste of time

• Oct 02, 2019

I dont know whats the goal of this film?

I dont know whats the goal of this film?

• May 09, 2019

Lacks a plot. A waste of time.

Lacks a plot. A waste of time.

• Feb 23, 2019

I found this film to be quite engaging. I was disappointed that all the buildup as to where the kids were was kind of a huge let down. There wasn't ever really a thematic climax that left you reeling, it all kind of slowly fizzles out in the end. I think the writers were trying to show that this story wasn't about lily and her brother, it was about how their parents cope with the loss. The acting by Nicole Kidman was great and at times, disturbingly sad. This film had lots of potential with a great cast, beautiful scenery, and a story line that would have been super if they had just changed the ending.

• Feb 05, 2019

Horrible movie! Time I cant get back in my life. Really poor story line with no ending leaves you confused through the entire thing.

• Jul 14, 2018

Kidman delivering her normal wooden impersonation of an actor. Apart from The Others, she still hasn't made a better movie than BMX Bandits. 3.5 star movie with a decent actress in the lead role

• Jul 08, 2018

A story of a dysfunctional family, Australian style. Not the best movie ever made, but it has enough to hold your attention all the way through. Great Australian scenery, and great performances by some relatively unknown actors, including some great indigenous tallent.

• Jul 06, 2018

Fairly by the book drama but an impressive cast save it from been too melodramatic