Strangers (Zarim) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Strangers (Zarim) Reviews

May 20, 2015
The movie had potential but the second half was sloppy and confusing. Overall the plot is decent.
August 19, 2013
I tried to watch this one and just couldn't make it through. I really didn't care about these two characters or what happened to them.
January 25, 2013
A twist of fate unites a Palestinian woman and an Israeli man during the World Cup finals in Berlin. They tour the city, watch the games, play together, and eventually fall in love. I really, really liked this movie. The actors were perfect and commanded the screen together. The movie was really just about them, with limited interruptions from other characters. Sometimes secondary characters are more interesting than the main couple but, aside from Rashid, there really are no secondary characters with any meaningful on-screen presence. But somehow, with this movie, that's perfectly alright. The Eyal and Rana's interactions with each other, both good and bad, felt undeniably real and I believed every minute of their time together. I liked watching their relationship from the beginning to end. I'd recommend it if you're into quiet indies.
½ January 15, 2012
Strangers plucks the heart strings, not shamelessly but assertively. It also shows that something good is going on in Israeli filmmaking.
½ January 5, 2012
Great chemistry between the two actors. What I really liked was that we got to know the characters as human beings and not as whatever nonsense we have divided ourselves into (religions, nationality, and ethnicity). Even the language barrier was handled nicely.
½ August 11, 2011
This is one of my favorit movies....sexy, funny and
March 23, 2011
Sex and soccer? Can't beat that formula. Fortunately, there is little of either. A Palestinian and Israeli meet on a train in Germany at the World Cup and build a short relationship. I nodded off a couple times but it is late. Not a bad flick, but fairly predictable along the lines of what happens when two people who aren't supposed to fall in love fall in love.
½ February 15, 2011
Like the film, Before Sunrise, but with a twist - an Israeli guy and Palestinian gal meet accidentally while visiting Berlin and they connect, spend time together then part, but then reconnect with all kinds of other complexities - personal, political and legal which tear at the couples future. This film works because there really is a chemistry between the couple and even though there are many reasons the couple should part ways for good, there is also love tugging to keep them together. Life just isnt simple.
½ June 22, 2010
great film with build up to the end...and then a let down. i guess it was the obvious ending; can't expect a hollywood ending in regards to a movie concerning an Israeli and Palestinian love affair.
June 18, 2010
I was astounded by how natural and real the film was. Listening to their conversations and mannerisms, I often wondered whether they had secretly stalked these people.

An intriguingly genuine and perceptive film with a well devised and satisfying ending.
December 5, 2009
imagine all the people living life in peace.
go and watch it.
½ October 20, 2009
El amor no sabe de nacionalidades, ni de odios y cada quien es libre de decidir entre la guerra o el amor!!!
June 20, 2009
Really Enjoyed it:) Great movie with a great message and I loved how the ending was.
May 19, 2009
It was a very good movie with a nice plot, the movie was wild and it scared the sh***** out of me it's a must that you go see this.
½ May 19, 2009
A man from Israel falls in love with a woman from Lebanon. There are some moments (the split screens of World Cup & battlefield together, for example), so rusty in narrative & film languages however profound in message agenda.
½ May 19, 2009
A disaster. Dogma 95 or not - It is one of the most predicrable movies I watched. My intelligence was insulted.
½ May 19, 2009
A love affair between an Israeli kibbutznik and a Palestinian activist living in Paris who meet accidentally in Berlin during the World Cup finals of 2006.
Their love is pitted against the outbreak of the second Israel-Lebanon war and their opposing opinions on war and politics. On the neutral ground of Europe there are able to somehow transcend these divisions and focus on their humanity.
Shot mostly hand-held and with largely improvised performances (there was no set script), the movie has a documentary character and a very realistic feel. Ultimately though there where too many inconsistencies and loose ends in the story line for me to grant a higher rating.
½ May 19, 2009
An Israeli and a Palestinian meet during the Berlin Soccer Finals and a clandestine love affair blossoms. This tale of two star-crossed lovers torn by politics has a narrow narrative that threads on well-travelled cliched paths but still provide an engaging, contemporary story, let down only by a somewhat perfunctory and obtuse ending.
January 28, 2009
Tries too hard to be arty. Watchable, though.
January 28, 2009
quite good--started with the dreaded hallmarks of mumblecore, but turned out to be interesting