Django il bastardo (Django the Bastard) (Stranger's Gundown) (The Strangers Gundown) Reviews

• Jan 23, 2017

One of the only worthy Django spin offs

One of the only worthy Django spin offs

• Apr 19, 2013

A combination of spaghetti with a bit of "back from the dead" thing..

A combination of spaghetti with a bit of "back from the dead" thing..

• Aug 28, 2011

So it's a Django knock off. One of those Django clones. That alone gave me some preconceptions about this film which happened to be totally wrong. This film would probably be better of having nothing to do with the Django name. It could stand alone without any ties to Django...and it practically doesn't have any, save for the name of the character. This dude is really a badass. The film begins with him dropping a cross with a villains name on it and the date. His MO, tell you exactly when your gonna die and make it happen. I like this guy. He's peculiarly thin, but still tough, has a beard and practically haunts the films antagonist. Also par for the course is his dark get up complete with poncho. Oh did I mention it has slight horror qualities. Yeah, he's presumed back from the dead, and appears in walls of smoke and darkness...yes this is cool. The film is practically his killing spree. Not really any gore but a less spiritual version of High Plains Drifter...with a bit more spaghetti thrown in.

• Apr 17, 2011

As a spaghetti western time waster Django The Bastard is a fine way to spend a Sunday afternoon. In that respect it's good but is it as good as the original Django w/ Franco Nero? Hell no. There's so many sequels to Django it's sad. This one should have just been called The Strangers Gundown & stood on it's own legs. It could have but the fact that it tries to pass itself off as a Django sequel I hold a lot against it. Actually I should watch High Plains Drifter w/ Clint Eastwood again because this has a lot in common w/ it..just not as good

• Sep 05, 2009

The Second best Django Movie and the perfect Combination of Italowestern and Horror this Django is the darkest and morbidest he is more frightenend than Freddy, Jason and Michael Myers together Antonio di Teffe is a really creepy Guy

• Cassandra M Super Reviewer
    Apr 25, 2009

This unusual horror film is one of the best examples of the spaghetti western genre. The plot is the standard "lone stranger seeking revenge," but in this instance, it's not clear if the stranger is a man or just a ghost. This aspect of the story, which is heightened by spooky music and scenes in fog-filled cemeteries, really sets this film apart. The soundtrack is also excellent, with lots of distorted guitars and sci-fi organ music.

• Feb 04, 2009

It's been a while since I saw this one, and I remember being a little disappointed. It's entertaining at times, sure but for the most part it was just daft and corny. I think a lot of that could have been due to only being able to watch the dubbed version (very, very distractingly bad) but I dunno. I'd like to give the proper version a watch I guess, but for the most part the thing that sticks out in my mind is the badass title song. In fact, I'm going to track that motherfucker down right now. Thanks, memory!

• Dec 12, 2008

Like a deadly panda, Django eats, shoots and leaves. Well actually he doesn't do any eating in the film but he sure does do a whole mess o' killin'! In the end though, it's still a formula western with a little bit of a ghost story mixed in -- think, grim reaper comes to town.

• Oct 23, 2008

Revenge killing is almost as ubiquitous as bounty killing in these flicks, huh? Luciano Rossi (in his sixth Django film!) as the white haired, sickly pale veined Klaus Kinski freekazoid Jack Murdok steals the horrific thunder in this overwrought, plodding revenge epic. While Anthony Steffen cuts a pretty good poncho box as the anorexic gunfighter, Django (a role he would reprise two more times - including the pure shitfest W Django (aka A Man Called Django), he strains toward the end of the picture under the weight of the fumbled script. Some truly good things about this movie involve the nasty means of dispatch and the overt sadism shown - particularly whenever Rossi cracks a wide tooth laugh and levels his pistola. Some truly awful things involving refugees, a never-ending set of chases and slasher-esque tropes as Django prances about in the shadows, gunning down or blowing up cowboys. I enjoyed it, even if there was a stupid subplot of woman and some cash money and the potential life that Django could lead...which I suppose was added to deepen the horror/ghost story/fallen devil motifs of greed and temptation. Overall, not so shabby Django picture.

• May 14, 2008

Creepy western with Anthony Steffan duplicating Eastwood's acting. Is Django a ghost? Or is he simply the most bad ass gunslinger of his time? Watch and find out. The noose scene is magnificent.