The Stratton Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Stratton Story Reviews

June 14, 2016
The true story of Monty Stratton, a Major League pitcher who lost a leg and went back to playing baseball. We see his rise, in the 1930s, to be a world-class pitcher for the Chicago White Sox. In 1938 he loses his leg after a hunting accident and we see his recovery and eventual return to baseball.

Powerful, moving story, well told. Doesn't drift, or get overly sentimental.

Mr Nice Guy, James Stewart, is perfectly cast in the lead role, and doesn't disappoint. Plays the role perfectly. The radiant, always-cheerful June Allyson is perfect as his wife. Good supporting cast.

A lesser-known Jimmy Stewart gem.
½ March 11, 2015
A baseball movie with Jimmy Stewart? You had me at hello!
Stewart is great, the story is inspiring, and I got a hoot out of seeing Bill Dickey! I loved the scene where Monty is pitching to his wife! Super cute chemistry!
August 30, 2013
Feel good baseball story about a farmer becoming a pitcher then overcoming all odds to pitch again.
½ April 19, 2012
jimmy stewart had such a good career
½ December 21, 2010
jimmy stewart had such a good career
November 30, 2010
The Stratton Story is a solid film starring James Stewart in the lead role of this biography. It is a pleasent film and Stewart, along with June Allyson and Agnes Moorehead does a fine job potraying the famous baseball player. It is a nice film, but not the best of 1949.
½ November 25, 2010
This is a very well done true life based movie on baseball legend Monty Stratton. Back in the 30's Monty Stratton was a great pitcher for the Chicago White Sox. But due to a hunting accident he lost his leg. But through will, determination and the love of his family and friends he walked and pitched again. The film stars James Stewart as Monty Stratton and June Allyson as Ethel Stratton. Great performances from both. Plus a great supporting role from actor Frank Morgan. The story is well done and was interesting. A inspirational story. Plus a great film for those who enjoy baseball films. Well worth a watch.
½ October 24, 2010
A beautiful, romantic, dramatic story about a real life baseball player. Stewart and the rest of the cast give great performances.
February 20, 2010
Anyone who is a fan of the Glenn Miller Story, starring James Stewart and June Allyson, is sure to be delighted with this other biopic where they were originally paired. Although not quite as potent as the Glenn Miller Story, which is quite possibly my favorite Stewart film, it carries the basic vibe with Alyson as the supportive wife of Stewart, who plays determined ball player Monty Stratton and his ability to overcome difficult obstacles. If there is one criticism it's probably that the content isn't quite as strong here as in GMS. It's the actors that truly make it exceptional. I am reminded once again that there has never been a person in Hollywood who possesses as much charm as James Stewart. June Allyson shimmers as well. The supporting cast is great as well, most notably Agnes Moorehead and Frank Morgan (Wizard Of Oz). Best of all the film focuses on the importance of strong character and how important it is to rise above the pitfalls in life.
January 1, 2010
It certainly pours on the sentiment, it is a bit too sappy, but it is also a highly entertaining film. Jimmy Stewart rises above the material and makes it work. June Allyson on the other hand is just too sugary and sweet, her performance doesn't ring true. Fine supporting cast.
½ June 4, 2009
Wow, I couldn't tear myself away from the screen! One of the most inspiring stories and the acting was beyond spectacular. BUt then again, Jimmy Stewart has never made a bad movie and has a way of grabbing the viewer and holding on to them in every role he has ever played. I found myself standing up while watching the last half hour when he's pitching for the first game as if I was at a World Series Final. Loved it!
April 15, 2009
If you LOVE baseball you will enjoy this movie...
½ March 3, 2009
Jimmy Stewart + baseball biopic = right up my alley :) I found myself shouting at my television, cheering on Monty and berating the other teams for pulling that intentional walk and then bunting stunt... Great little movie with a big message about picking yourself up carrying on triumphantly.
½ February 28, 2009
I liked this one a lot more than I really expected to, mainly because I don't like baseball. But it's really hard to resist Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson.
February 28, 2009
It has pretty much everything, including the hound that saves you when you shoot yourself in the leg while hunting rabbits!
February 1, 2009
Great biography movie, with a wonderfull performance of James Stewart and June Allyson who did more than just great. The movie doesnt get boring at all.
½ January 15, 2009
When you love an actor, you gotta watch all of his movies. And Jimmy Stewart is my favorite actor of all time. I've never heard of the Stratton story before. But of course I gave it a chance and loved it instantly. Jimmy plays a young baseball player who loses a leg while hunting but refuses to quit. Great performances all around...
December 20, 2008
Inspiring, as biographies go. Nice as performances go, and not bad as scripts go. Great Watching.
July 25, 2008
James Stewart is my favourite actor, so I bought as many of his films as I could find. I had never heard of this film until I read that it was available in a James Stewart DVD box set, but the premise really intrigued me, so it was the first film that I watched upon opening the set. After watching it, I can honestly say that I'm glad I own it and I'm glad that I watched it. It's a good film - not a perfect film, but it's better than most.

I liked a lot of things about the film. The movie's main strength are the performances by all of the stars - all of which were great. They truly were their characters and, in turn, this made the movie very believable. Even though James Stewart is my favourite actor, I saw him as the character in this film, rather than just Jimmy Stewart playing a role.

I also thought that the writing was quite good, as all of the characters were fleshed out well and everything worked well within the plot. I didn't discover any plotholes or anything, which is nice. The movie was very clean in appearance and in how it was written, by which I mean that everything was covered and it didn't try to do too much.

I know I've been gloating about this movie, but it definitely isn't perfect. One major problem that I had with this film was the directing. Whenever any of the baseball scenes were shot, the director chose to use camera angles that reflected the sport poorly and didn't show much action. It was hard to get a sense of the game with the camera angles used to portray the action. It could have also been partly the editor's fault, but I wish they would've used better angles and shots for the baseball scenes.

If you're a fan of classic films, James Stewart, or films from the 1940s in general, I recommend this film. You really can't go wrong. It's a great watch.
June 20, 2008
The most meaningful autobiography... About a man (with a broken right leg perhaps) trying to fulfill his dreams(which he succeeded in the end).