Street Angel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Street Angel Reviews

February 11, 2015
Before sound cinema was all about the visuals and telling a story through emotions and expression. Frank Borage directed Street Angel purposefully to minimize the use of inter titles and to maximize the story telling through the visuals. This film is high melodrama and if one can see it as such and not judge it then one can get an awful lot out of it. The blurred images rendering the actors closeups' dream like and ethereal and transcending their love into the realm of the spiritual.
January 22, 2015
good sequel of sorts
May 10, 2013
"monkeys make a movie better".
½ February 23, 2013
After analysing Borzage's directing technique, one can truly appreciate the wonderful use of lighting he uses. At such a time when silent film reached its end, it was essential for the picture to evoke emotion. Borzage made us feel before we understood which contributed the to underlying melodrama. Street Angel portrays a breach within innocent love by institution and authority and how they eventually find what was meant to be. It's a simple but wonderful silent film.
February 10, 2013
beautiful movie and actress. The movie info here is wrong, I think he didn't see the film
½ March 21, 2012
Compared to "Sunrise" and "Seventh Heaven" it's the weak link among Janet Gaynor's trifecta, but it's still entertaining.
½ April 4, 2011
This romantic drama was pretty good, the actors were good, the story was so-so, and everything else was just okay. It is a predictable romance movie in the end, but there is a good deal of realistic elements to it. Overall, it could have been better, though.
August 2, 2010
I think the more I see of Borzage's work, the more I enjoy him. His choices here are particularly inspired - one shot of Farrell looking on in despair while the silhouettes of a crowd mills past is very striking. Might be the best of Gaynor's triple-Oscar-winning performances of that year. Perhaps not quite as impressive as Seventh Heaven overall, and the story is decidedly simple and thin, but it's a beautifully crafted piece of work.
March 10, 2010
Lovely silent film starring Charles Farrell and Janet Gaynor, who I like more every time I see her. She gives the film a touch of innocence, which makes it very enchanting.
February 24, 2010
½ February 15, 2010
79/100. Janet Gaynor is such a marvelous actress, i think her silent films were better than most of her talkies. She has a very natural and innocent style. She is convincing and genuine. She does a wonderful job in Street Angel. She can convey more emotion without speech than most current actresses can with speech. A fine story, rather emotional but well done. Charles Farrell does a great job as well, such a charismatic performance. Very artistic visually, in spite of the poor quality of the prints available. One has to imagine how it must have looked before deterioration set in.
½ February 5, 2010
A good performance by Janet Gaynor. This is a pretty boring movie though. I need sound to like this movie.
½ December 28, 2009
Fantastically directed and shot. Unfortunately, the story doesn't really hold up. There's plenty to like here though.
½ November 24, 2009
½ October 17, 2008
I normally like silent movies, but the storyline of this one just didn't grab me - too sentimental and sappy and the first half was kind of boring. It didn't help that the DVD was horrible quality. No attempt was made at restorating this film. I gave it 2 1/2 stars mainly for Janet Gaynor who won a well deserved Oscar for her performance as Angela.
½ August 21, 2008
A beautiful, simpleish film. The female lead is extremely charming and helps to make this film what it is. Some times the characters make odd decisions and the male lead's transformation into an MGM monster at the end was incredibly strange but it's still a lot of fun.
April 25, 2008
Janet Gaynor + Charles Farrell + Frank Borzage = great.
½ April 3, 2008
Perfecto! Just lovely.
½ February 22, 2008
Although in later works, Borzage can get lost in a wandering sentimentality, he manages to rein that in in Street Angel. Perhaps it is because the story is about a street angel (i.e. a prostitute). It has a story that is incredibly moving (but you're not always sure why).

I enjoy the organic quality of these type of films, which turn suddenly one way or another. Great performances, and a stunning climax. I love the scene at the docks. Sometimes directors do their best works with stories about a woman, (maybe it focuses them more?) Whatever the case, this is a great film, best to watch in a movie theater.
February 17, 2008
The quality of the print I saw wasn't amazing, but this was still a sweet and wistful little romance, with some very effective scenes.