Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li Reviews

July 18, 2016
How could Kristin Kreuk, my ultimate heartthrob, star in this movie? HOW??? Call me, baby! We can work it out!
½ March 26, 2016
I totally forgot this movie exist, good riddance
March 25, 2016
This movie make me want walk out from cinema and forget everything that I had seen
½ January 8, 2016
A godawful piece of shit. This is one of the worst video game movies ever made, besides Uwe Boll's House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark. Everything about this is bad. It takes any charm and fun that the 1994 version of Street Fighter had, sucked it out, and multiplied all the negative aspects of that movie exponentially. Acting is terrible. Chris Klein as Nash... He's the equivalent of Justin Chatwin as Goku in Dragonball Evolution (Another godawful cinema atrocity). Nothing makes sense, the plot is messy and incoherent. Kristin Kreuk as Chun-Li? atrocious. Chris Klein as Charlie Nash? Atrocious. Taboo as Vega? ATROCIOUS. Robin Shou as Gen, Neal McDonough as M. Bison, and Michael Duncan as Balrog are okay, however. Michael Dunkan as Balrog is the closest thing to being faithful to the video games. M. Bison as an Irish? Well, I know a lot about Street Fighter, and rumor has it he's either from Cambodia, Thailand, or Ireland. So don't mind the Irish nationality much. I also felt really bad for Neal McDonough. He tried his best to make his piece of garbage work, but he couldn't because the writing, the dialogue, the screenplay, everything was awful. Same case for Robin Shou. He tried his best, but his efforts hindered by incompetent amateurs in the film industry.

Verdict: 1/10. F-. Atrocious. Godawful. It spits not only on the very practice and art of acting, but also on the greatest fighting game franchise ever created, Street Fighter. A disgrace.
December 5, 2015
Hilariously bad at times, but more often than not it's unforgivably boring.
October 15, 2015
Nothing particularly exciting about Chinese mafia wars with unbelievable martial arts stunts.
½ October 13, 2015
Another Chinese mafia action with a hint of freak martial arts.
September 4, 2015
This will be a good DVD pick...
August 31, 2015
With a combination of little to no campy charm, uninspired fight sequences and miscast actors, The legend of Chun Li fails on almost every level.
May 27, 2015
This is so bad that I don't think it deserves even half star. As much as I love Street Fighter and the nostalgia of its lore, this one can't be even watched as a guilty pleasure.
April 22, 2015
let's not be too hard here. sure there are so deviations from the source material, and the acting is terrible and the script sucks. But they establish all that in the first ten minutes so you know what you're in for. it reaches the so bad its good quota so fast i just sit back and enjoy the ride. some pretty absurd things are gonna occur but you knew that so why complain? laugh at anything and everything it's fun it's a good movie to talk about with peers afterwards. but nowhere near as good as any other movie i said this about because of chris klein. he ruins this and rollerball while watching this! but it's better than catwoman and just as good as elektra and i gave those both zero. bounus points for having Gen in the film
½ April 11, 2015
For a film I expected to absolute rubbish, I was pleasantly surprised. It's a fairly decent film with a reasonable plot, and only Chris Klein utterly failed in the acting stakes.
March 2, 2015
I'd see it for Kristin . . .

But other than that, no.
½ December 25, 2014
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is a 2009 martial arts action thriller film directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak, written by Justin Marks, and starring Kristin Kreuk, Neal McDonough, Michael Clarke Duncan, Chris Klein, Moon Bloodgood, Robin Shou, Taboo, Josie Ho, and Elizaveta Kiryukhina. The film is based on Capcom's Street Fighter video games and is a reboot of the 1994 film Street Fighter.

When she was younger, Chun-Li (Kristin Kreuk) witnesses the kidnapping of her father Xiang by the wealthy Irish crime lord M. Bison (Neal McDonough), the CEO of Shadaloo Headquarters. Years later, she goes into a quest for vengeance and becomes the famous crimefighter of the Street Fighter universe.

I was introduced to the Street Fighter universe when I bought Street Fighter IV for the Xbox 360 a few years earlier, and I loved it. A wide variety of characters, fun gameplay, inventive fighting styles and powers... it was pure awesomeness. I also bought the updated version of the game, Super Street Fighter IV, and I loved that even more.

In the summer of 2013, I rented the 1994 live-action Street Fighter film from Family Video. The Steven E. de Souza-written and directed film starred Jean-Claude Van Damme as Guile (tremendous miscast), Ming-Na Wen as Chun-Li, and Raul Julia as M. Bison (best part of the film). While very different from the games, I gotta admit, I had a bit of fun with this film. It's bad, yes, but I'd consider it a guilty pleasure. However, that film is Oscar-worthy cinema compared to this abomination.

If you thought the 1994 film was a terrible adaptation of the games, take a look at this shitstorm. This film rapes pretty much everything people loved about this franchise up the ass. Director Andrzej Bartkowiak (whose previous films I did enjoy) and screenwriter Justin Marks make absolutely no attempt to try to follow the games and that pisses me off.

The performances are awful, with the three exceptions being Neal McDonough, Michael Clarke Duncan, and Robin Shou. Despite his truly horrendous Irish accent, McDonough was trying very hard to make this generic, non-threatening bad guy work, and Shou was mildly entertaining as Gen. Sadly, Marks' dismally-penned script and Bartkowiak's tenuous, amazingly effortless direction prevent McDonough and Shou from being allowed to truly shine.

Michael Clarke Duncan as Balrog is admittedly a delight. You can tell he's having a blast playing this guy. Not to mention, Balrog is the only character who bears any resemblance to his video game counterpart. Kristin Kreuk is atrocious as Chun-Li, which is a real shame, given that I loved her as Lana Lang on Smallville. Her line delivery is just abysmal and she shows hardly any genuine emotion.

Moon Bloodgood is bland (although sexy) as Maya Sunee, who becomes Crimson Viper in the video games. Taboo as Vega is a tremendous miscast, one of the biggest in film history. However, the worst performance comes from Chris Klein as Charlie Nash (Blanka from the games). Klein looks beyond bored to be in this film and he sounds as if he's a petulant five-year-old doing a bad Christian Slater impersonation. Phenomenally awful.

If you watch this film expecting some bad-ass fight scenes, you'll be disappointed. The action scenes in this movie are pitiful. Andrzej Bartkowiak directs the action and fight scenes with no skill, effort, passion, or energy, and not to mention, they're very poorly edited by Derek G. Brechin and Niven Howie, and the choreography is nothing short of a joke. They even use Chun-Li's signature Spinning Bird Kick with truly deplorable results. However, the cinematography by Geoff Boyle is occasionally crisp, so there's that.

The whole affair is just a tired, generic mess all around. Stephen Endelman's musical score is insipid and flavorless beyond definition, there are countless martial arts and action film clichés, and there's not even a lick of originality and creativity to be found. The visual effects are spectacularly horrible. There's one bit five minutes into the movie where Chun-Li's father attacks a guy by using a bottle of wine as a water pistol, with the wine being as clear as water. The CGI for the wine is just... blecch. I mean, dear God.

Justin Marks' screenplay is reprehensible. Hardly any character development, really god-awful dialogue, and a story so redundant, outrageously ridiculous, and nonsensical you'll want to pull your hair out. Not to mention, the tone is completely wrong. It takes itself so goddamn seriously. What dumb-ass wanted a dark, gritty, more realistic version of Street Fighter? What the fuck.

FINAL SCORE: 1/10

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li is bar none one of the worst video game movies ever made. Holy mother of God was this terrible. Bad writing, bad acting, bad action, bad story, bad characters, bad adaptation, bad reboot, bad movie. The 1994 film may not have been good, but hey, at least it was fun. This, however, is not enjoyable in the slightest. Fuck this movie and never, ever watch it.
September 13, 2014
I hope this is as terrible as advertised.
½ September 8, 2014
Sucks monkey fuck!
*Puts face up to camera*
SUCKS MONKEY FUCK!!!
½ July 13, 2014
Moi qui croyait que le premier streetfighter movie avec Jean-Claude Van-Damme était mauvais... celle la est encore PIRE!!!.. les effets speciaux sont dégueulasse.. l'acting est extrêmement mauvais.. ont dirait qu'ils ont voulut essayer de blender le réaliste de TDK avec le fantastique... les productions values ont l'air d'une première de série télévisé et non d'un film (tu t'attends à ce qui aie des pub aux 10-15 min pi des shit du genre la.. genre de serie d'action d'été... mais quand sa dure 30-35 min pi pas dpub pi tu trend compte que c un film la tu fais: WTF:C PIRE QUE LES FILMS DE STEVEN SEAGAL en matière de budget
½ July 10, 2014
As most video game adaptations go, this one falls under the similar bad spell of containing a feeble script, having no emotional resonance from its cast, and being almost utterly depleted of excitement.
May 29, 2014
Actually better than the first but I'm not saying it's exactly good.
½ May 17, 2014
Maybe the worst movie I've ever scene. The dude from Black Eyed Peas plays Vega. VEGA. I can't...I just can't...