Street Kings 2: Motor City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Street Kings 2: Motor City Reviews

November 14, 2011
Poor poor poor Ray Liotta. So sad to see you on direct to video. From beginning to end this never even feels like a sequel. Even by direct to video sequel standards. Almost like the title got changed after it was filmed. But none the less Liotta still delivers the goods. Never does he act like he's just there for a paycheck or bored and tired. And Hatosy does a tolerable job. Story line is nothing new. Walks the same path as many before it but for what it's worth it tries to be better then what a small budget sequel is. It has its entertaining moments and predictable but solid story. Worth a look at if you enjoyed the first one or other gritty corrupt cop dramas.
½ October 27, 2011
Ray Liotta is the main character all the more reason to never watch this.
½ October 7, 2011
At the end of Street Kings starring Keanu Reeves the movie had come to a full conclusion, however, many people were really surprised at what great movie that one was. There didn't really seem like any need for a sequel unless it would take that character on a totally new adventure. This almost direct to video style movie is worth watching only if you're a Ray Liotta fan and like hard-boiled '70s style police movies. The movie seems rather stilted like in the script it literally said "black man gets in car, close up on car's tail, he speeds away from curb leaving trail of gas fumes and dust." I think maybe this movie suffered some poor editing. Some shots were just a character listening to the phone for whole minute saying "ok, ok" ... Rather annoying. Ray Liotta is a great actor and Shawn Hatosy is not bad at all. Both roles were not exactly flashy and flattering parts for any actor to get. You could call the glass half empty and say if it wasn't for Ray Liotta this movie shouldn't even exist. On the other hand you could say I wish Ray Liotta would just be in a better movie. Something went wrong and sloppy -- I'd have to say the direction, production and editing departments were too busy at the snack table during filming. Or maybe trying inventive ways to smoke weed out of a pringles can... Maybe both. :)
September 29, 2011
Not as good as the first one, but still alright.
½ September 26, 2011
what you expect often doesn't happen, good story, something is missing to make it worth going to the cinema for
September 18, 2011
This movie owes me some stars for watching it. It was like a train wreck. You knew what was going to happen but you watched anyways because you wanted to see the carnage
½ September 18, 2011
The best thing there is to say about Street Kings 2 is that it's mostly watchable, but never original and never all that interesting. As you would expect it has nothing to do with the original, save a similar plot line. As a big Ray Liotta fan I was disappointed, he wasn't given a script or surrounding cast that would bring the best out of him. The script in particular had clunky dialogue and numerous clichà (C) moments. Had it not taken itself so seriously, and been more gritty and less formulaic, it could've been something.
½ September 12, 2011
I think it goes without saying the first Street Kings is better. Maybe I'm biased. The first one was based in LA and featured a slew of celebrity cameos from familiar actors and rappers whereas this sequel is based in Detroit with completely different characters, only four of which I actually recognize. I did enjoy this film, but its a plot that could've easily been used on an episode of, say, Southland. Which brings me to my next issue: Shawn Hatosy just seemed to be playing a calmer version of his cop character from the TV series, minus the crazy wife or calming partner. This is one of those movies you watch late at night when nothing else is on and you're just in the mood for a cop drama. There was nothing very remarkable about this film, it was light on laughs, and the violence was what you'd expect in a cop film. Again, I might just be losing interest in cop films due to the advent of CSI, Law & Order and the like. I was entertained, but I see why it was straight-to-DVD. It was nothing special.
September 8, 2011
Wow, I am astonished at how bad this movie is. I was bored 20 mins in due to the cliches and stagey acting, but then I became riveted to the end by picking out all the negatives as the movie swirled further down the toilet bowl. I am quite forgiving with C Grade movies as long as they are entertaining but the cheap locations, over-simplifications, repetitive editing, etc. wore me down. This is the worst cop movie headlined by a notable actor since Morgan Freeman's "Guilty By Association".
SideNote: the DVD contains a featurette entitled "Creating A Convincing Cop Story". Ha!
½ August 28, 2011
mala secuela, como es de esperarse de muuuchas de ellas!!
August 25, 2011
Just a waste of time don't bother
July 28, 2011
I can see why this went straight to DVD. It is not a patch on the original and I found is slow, devoid of any real excitement or narrative and downright boring. It pays no homage to the original either, except for name only and in these cases the end product is usually dire.

One of the few films where I have not cared about the characters or plots and just wanted it to end so I can do something better.
July 25, 2011
Ray Liotta is always dependable, even in this DTV Street Kings 2, which, as usual with DTV sequels bares no connectio to the original, just the basic similar story line... still all that to one side itself is not a bad action/cop thriller worth a watch.
½ July 2, 2011
The first Street Kings wasn't great, but was still entertaining and effective. The same can be said for this sequel but on a much lower level. Relative to the first, the plot is more predictable, the "twists" don't work well, the dialogue is cheesier, and the acting [overall] is sub par. Shawn Hatosy is completely in over his head, and it shows. For what it's worth, it does the straight to video crowd proud.
June 30, 2011
(* 1/2): Thumbs Down
June 20, 2011
Both stars for the cars.
½ May 30, 2011
This flick was a little bit slow....but deviated from the chemistry that made the first one a runaway success...imagine a world that we already know of...crooked cops. Now shake that world up with multiple homicides that are all cops. How does a rookie detective and a seasoned detective go about solving the multiple murders of police officers hidden behind the code of silence among each other? Not too bad a crime saga drama.
May 24, 2011
That was a waste... Not enough action...
May 20, 2011
½ May 13, 2011
Ok, I know, I know. But I liked that it was shot in Detroit and I wanted to see it. Its your typical dirty cop drama thriller, and honestly, I've seen better. Even the first one was better, and that starred Keanu Reeves. The one good thing besides catching the glimpse of the Motor City on screen was Shawn Hatosy. He makes for a good cop, which is one of the reasons I love SouthLAnd so much.