Strike (Stachka) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Strike (Stachka) Reviews

April 24, 2016
Like Battleship Potemkin, this is another old Russian story of revolution which is quite slow and contains some failed attempts at comedy. I was quite bored by this but a certain scene near the end made me sit up in my airplane seat and my jaw drop. I won't spoil this rather unpleasant surprise but I've gotta say I thought this was quite out of place but did provide the film with a climax which I will remember it for.
½ October 9, 2015
Director and film theorist Sergei Eisenstein's first feature started his influential run in the cinema with masterful merits in production and cinematography - the influential hot spot - but the nature isn't pretty and it's sometime convoluting. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
July 20, 2015
Really enjoyed this masterpiece from Sergei Eisenstein. This was his first feature film, but it's very accomplished with fantastic and inventive films techniques with an engaging and socially important story. This film is z must for serious films fans!
½ October 4, 2014
Eisenstein's first feature-length film (a government funded movie about the Bolshevik revolution) already shows his mastery of composition and his ability to create powerful sequences. He also captures facial expression and physical motion beautifully and powerfully and frequently cuts together images with speed and impact that were revolutionary at the time. The movie is well worth seeing as an important development in the language of film and as a reasonably entertaining - and occasionally gripping - movie in itself. The occasional flaws and weaknesses that exist in performance and storytelling can be easily forgiven to experience the brilliant composition of Eisenstein's best shots - and there are many of them to appreciate.
January 1, 2014
Eisenstein's debut is a dizzying and wacky one.
October 30, 2013
It surprises me the entire world isn't communist with russia wielding such a compelling & dynamic propagandist as Eisenstein. He was a master artist in the silent age & this very well could be his magnum opus.
½ September 7, 2013
Christ, I don't even know. Sergei Eisenstein might have been a genius of early cinema and an important film theorist, but he was also a total lunatic, and this movie, his first, shows that quite clearly. The movie's basic plot is as straightforward as its title sounds: it's about a bunch of factory workers in 1920s Russia who go on strike after one worker commits suicide. There are no central characters to follow and identify with; the film simply has a mass protagonist, the proletariat, and three villains, the bourgeoisie. Eisenstein even at this early stage was fanatically dedicated to the idea of montage and its potential for instilling a revolutionary consciousness in the people, so this entire movie is built around that principle. It's actually quite-exhausting to watch one brief image juxtaposed against another constantly; though the movie is only about 80 minutes long, it feels like 3 hours. The proletarians are noble and demand a 40 hour work week and so on; the bourgeoisie are wicked and fat and laugh to themselves while police put down the strike. One damn thing after another happens, and while it's easy to see the big picture, actually following the movie's logic moment to moment can be nearly impossible. The whole thing is bonkers.
October 7, 2012
No comments needed, we all know how important and influencial Eisenstein's movies are.
September 22, 2012
An important part of (film)history, but boring for modern audiences and the message has for the most part lost its relevance.
September 2, 2012
Sergei's scariest, most terrifyingly haunting visual work. The imagery will give you nightmares.
August 19, 2012
Appena prima l'uscita nelle sale de "La corazzata PotŰmkin", Serghej Eisestein dirige una delle sue opere pi¨ rilevanti; "La forza della classe operaia stÓ nell'organizzazione. Senza un'organizzazione delle masse del proletariato, Ŕ niente. Organizzata Ŕ tutto. L'organizzazione significa l'unitÓ d'azione, l'unitÓ d'intervento pratico": ispirato da queste parole di Lenin, il regista sovietico si dilegua in una rappresentazione piuttosto lancinante dello scenario protoindustriale dei primi anni dieci. Nel primo tempo si assiste al tragico suicidio di un'operaio illegittimamente accusato di furto dai suoi superiori. Nella seconda parte l'apparato scenico si dissolve nella riproduzione della rivendicazione dei dipendenti al fine di ottenere migliori condizioni sul posto di lavoro: questa rivolta per˛ porterÓ alcuni funzionari dei piani alti a corrompere dei malviventi per incolpare illecitamente gli operai di aver dato fuoco ad un vecchio edificio. Il quadro della sommossa terminerÓ con un violento intervento della polizia ed il massacro totale degli scioperanti. Grazie all'uso delle metafore cinematografiche (bue squartato - operai torturati), ed alla simultaneitÓ perfetta tra i suoni e le immagini "Sciopero!" si rivel˛ uno dei film "privi di parola" pi¨ unici e tecnicamente all'avanguardia dell'era in cui il sonoro non aveva ancora fatto la sua comparsa (passeranno quattro anni prima della sua diffusione). Considerata di grande prestigio per la forma e nell'elaborato delle vicende storiche che porteranno la Russia alla Rivoluzione d'Ottobre, l'opera di Eisestein modific˛ le norme dell'espressione filmica del cinema internazionale, divenendo una delle pellicole artisticamente pi¨ apprezzate dai cinefili e gli estimatori dell'epoca dell'ultimo intenso decennio del cinema muto.
June 10, 2012
Partially to be studied, and partially to be enjoyed. One of the quantum jumps in technique, as were all his films - the innovator - to think this was made in 1925.
May 12, 2012
trilha sonora nota 10
April 17, 2012
If Russian or experimental or documentary films intrigue you, you will enjoy seeing this film. If that isn't your cup of tea, don't watch it. Personally I can't stand these movies, they are always about the revolution and factory workers, and they don't have less than ten main characters normally. There needs to be more story and more focus for this movie to be exciting, I think. Overall, it's slightly more interesting than other films like it because of the cinematography, but I still did not enjoy it nor do I think it's a good film, it's just okay.
½ April 3, 2012
PETA's worst nightmare. Strike is quite primitive (even for the era in which it was shot) when compared to other movies of the 20s. The movie drags quite a bit but picks up steam towards the end. What makes Strike memorable is the intense and gruesome sequences of cows and chickens being butchered (I assume this is actual footage) to show a parallel between the way the military was slaying the Russians.
½ March 2, 2012
½ February 14, 2012
Sergei M. Eisenstein made "Strike", his first feature film, with barely any professional film training and proved his skill as a Director instantaneously upon the film's release! He used a quick shot to summarize his messages like no one had before and near the end of the film it is all the more apparent. In the beginning and throughout the film, these images are used sparingly and usually only one image is shown. Nearing the end however when the revolt is "dealt with" we are shown a barrage of imagery all with a poignant and totally devastating message. Numerous film techniques are on display in "Strike" and the success of this first feature guaranteed his creative control of his next film masterpiece "Battleship Potemkin" that was to come. This is a hugely influential and important piece of cinema that is essential viewing for anyone interested in film!
November 18, 2011
Strike is a sincere and dramatic ode to the masses and reveals the talent of director Sergei Eisenstein by providing not only a poignant storyline but also a rich visual force.
October 12, 2011
Incredibly innovating film making for its time
October 2, 2011
I dunno, I just think it's really hamfisted and obvious.