Stuart Saves His Family - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stuart Saves His Family Reviews

½ April 2, 2016
I'm not sure this expansion of a 90s SNL sketch warrants the feature treatment. I'm even less sure whether or not Al Franken's often humorous -- yet one-note -- TV character should carry his own film (I have the same doubts about the comedian himself in fact). Indeed, this whole endeavor may be better served with Franken's Stuart in a supporting role to a more well-rounded character. There's also too much of a reliance on the original catch phrases from the sketch and the over-the-top, goofball characters that Stuart "counsels" on his public access show. Even worse are the uber serious and emotional moments that come off so disingenuous when paired with Franken's lispy-voiced fruitcake. That being said, there are some moments of wit and humor to enjoy. Not quite enough to warrant this movie's existence, but sometimes you just gotta chuckle at Stuart's mix of self-deprecating and horribly insulting honesty.
½ June 4, 2015
Al Franken once stated that he was very proud of this movie, and he should be. It's sweet and quite thought provoking, especially for a film based on an SNl sketch.
April 25, 2015
As a SNL skit it was OK but as an hour and a half movie it booooooorrrrreeeessss one to tears.
August 22, 2014
Of the critics that reviewed this movie, I might believe that half of them actually watched it, and the rest were simply reviewing the SNL skits they had seen before. I find it hard to believe that an actual film critic usual normal film critic standards could find so much fault with this movie.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't care for the Stuart Smalley segments on SNL. In fact nothing Franken did on SNL ever made me so much as chuckle. But taken out of the confines of a small studio and thrust into the real world, his character suddenly becomes interesting. This is not a one-dimensional, one-joke movie like the vast majority of SNL characters summoned to the big screen. This is a meticulously crafted script that brings to life all the awkward and cringeworthy moments of family like that we all experience. But it's done in a way that still leaves us laughing rather than suffering along with the characters.

In addition to the writing, the casting is spectacular. Not one actor seems out of place in the role they're given.

I think this movie would appeal more to people who appreciate good writing in their comedies, such as Mike Judge films. If you didn't like Office Space and Extract, chances are you'll be among the people who don't care for Stuart Saves His Family.
August 17, 2014
I'm so disappointed to see such negative reviews for this film. it's very rare for a film to come along that is so clearly written with characters that are so well defined and crafted. If you get past Stuart's goofy persona and pay attention you will see it's a comedy with immense heart and bravery. Having come from a family with it's own disfunctions this is a film I can certainly relate to. infinitely cleverer, more human and funnier than Dumb and Dumber.
½ June 1, 2014
The often forgotten SNL character movie isn't as bad as any of the ones that aren't the first Blues Brothers or Wayne's World but the laughs are few and far between. What does make Stuart Saves His Family semi-work is the actual interaction between Smalley and his dysfunctional family.
½ March 2, 2014
If you go into this thinking its a comedy laugh riot, you'll be disappointed, it's more of a look at a dysfunctional family and how people cope with problems.
November 10, 2013
Once Franken gets home from Washington, I am hoping for the sequel: Stuart Saves His Country.
½ March 24, 2013
One of my favorite SNL characters leaps onto the big screen... with moderate success. The Stuart sketches always made me laugh hysterically,but the movie seems to have slid away from the funny bone and into the heart. I get it, for a three minute skit to hold an audience for 90 minutes you need some substance... I'm just not sure the proper vein was tapped here. Not a bad film by any means, just not what I wanted from a Stuart Smalley movie.
½ November 18, 2012
Man, I barely remember this.
October 29, 2012
This movie was touching and hilarious. Time will vindicate this underrated film.
October 13, 2012
"You can't save everyone, even family" is what this for the movie is all about. Trying to get past where you come from to move on with your life is not always easy. "Stuart Saves His Family" deals with his alcoholic father, dysfunctional siblings, and self absorbed mother - all with Stuart in the middle of everything. There is a message underneath all of the Chaos he goes through to help bail his family out of the troubles they constantly run into. Regardless of the reviews the film, It still deserves a watch. and you never know - This could very well be your family in this movie. Funny & Touching. Enjoy!
September 30, 2012
Pretty pitiful, I'm sorry to say, because I love the SNL sketches like crazy. There's hardly any sign of any laughs here and the dramatic aspects are pretty flat except at the end. The concept is just flawed. Could've been saved with a few more SNL alumni (there's only 1!! how did they not cast any comedian actors??) in cameo rolls.
August 12, 2012
Nobody went to see it, so that should of been my first hint to seeing this was going to be a travesty.
½ December 30, 2011
An underrated little movie. It actually speaks a lot of truth, which is surprising for a movie based on a doofy 1990s SNL skit. Plus, it really is funny!
½ July 26, 2011
This movie was a box office failure and the most overlooked of the SNL character films, which is a shame because it's good enough, it's smart enough, and doggone it, I love it! Al Frankens childlike and well-meaning character introduces us to his dysfunctional family and makes us learn to laugh and possibly accept our own. Great characters and a story that makes you think about family issues, addiction, and self-empowerment. Funny and entertaining if you can handle the rather slow pace.
½ July 8, 2011
I just really love Stuart Smalley. You can really feel his issues with his family.The film was hip, funny, and watchable. It's about issues in Stuart Smalley's family. It's completley diffrent from other SNL movies. I wouldn't even consider it an SNL movie. Even if Stuart Smalley was on SNL. Stuart was just too likeable. If you have anxiety disorder, or anything else, You can really relate to Stuart Smalley. I would say go see it, But it's pretty hard to find it. It had a budget of 6 million, and made only a few thousand dollars. Order it at a library or somthing. It's a great film to me. A
March 29, 2011
I will not apologize for loving this movie.
½ June 3, 2010
This movie was such a surprise! While it seems like it could only be just awful, it's actually pretty darned good. It treats addiction and substance abuse seriously without making it melodramatic, and it has a real handle on human nature. It's not the funniest SNL movie, but it's the most mature and adult. It's good enough, it's smart enough, and doggone it, I liked it.
½ March 25, 2010
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was the 90's the best decade?