Stuart Saves His Family Reviews

• Feb 09, 2019

One of my favorite movies. I chimed in because the reviews seem harsh to me.

One of my favorite movies. I chimed in because the reviews seem harsh to me.

• Apr 02, 2016

I'm not sure this expansion of a 90s SNL sketch warrants the feature treatment. I'm even less sure whether or not Al Franken's often humorous -- yet one-note -- TV character should carry his own film (I have the same doubts about the comedian himself in fact). Indeed, this whole endeavor may be better served with Franken's Stuart in a supporting role to a more well-rounded character. There's also too much of a reliance on the original catch phrases from the sketch and the over-the-top, goofball characters that Stuart "counsels" on his public access show. Even worse are the uber serious and emotional moments that come off so disingenuous when paired with Franken's lispy-voiced fruitcake. That being said, there are some moments of wit and humor to enjoy. Not quite enough to warrant this movie's existence, but sometimes you just gotta chuckle at Stuart's mix of self-deprecating and horribly insulting honesty.

• May 16, 2015

Al Franken once stated that he was very proud of this movie, and he should be. It's sweet and quite thought provoking, especially for a film based on an SNl sketch.

• Apr 25, 2015

As a SNL skit it was OK but as an hour and a half movie it booooooorrrrreeeessss one to tears.

• Aug 22, 2014

Of the critics that reviewed this movie, I might believe that half of them actually watched it, and the rest were simply reviewing the SNL skits they had seen before. I find it hard to believe that an actual film critic usual normal film critic standards could find so much fault with this movie. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't care for the Stuart Smalley segments on SNL. In fact nothing Franken did on SNL ever made me so much as chuckle. But taken out of the confines of a small studio and thrust into the real world, his character suddenly becomes interesting. This is not a one-dimensional, one-joke movie like the vast majority of SNL characters summoned to the big screen. This is a meticulously crafted script that brings to life all the awkward and cringeworthy moments of family like that we all experience. But it's done in a way that still leaves us laughing rather than suffering along with the characters. In addition to the writing, the casting is spectacular. Not one actor seems out of place in the role they're given. I think this movie would appeal more to people who appreciate good writing in their comedies, such as Mike Judge films. If you didn't like Office Space and Extract, chances are you'll be among the people who don't care for Stuart Saves His Family.

• Aug 17, 2014

I'm so disappointed to see such negative reviews for this film. it's very rare for a film to come along that is so clearly written with characters that are so well defined and crafted. If you get past Stuart's goofy persona and pay attention you will see it's a comedy with immense heart and bravery. Having come from a family with it's own disfunctions this is a film I can certainly relate to. infinitely cleverer, more human and funnier than Dumb and Dumber.

• Jun 01, 2014

The often forgotten SNL character movie isn't as bad as any of the ones that aren't the first Blues Brothers or Wayne's World but the laughs are few and far between. What does make Stuart Saves His Family semi-work is the actual interaction between Smalley and his dysfunctional family.

• Mar 02, 2014

If you go into this thinking its a comedy laugh riot, you'll be disappointed, it's more of a look at a dysfunctional family and how people cope with problems.

• Mar 24, 2013

One of my favorite SNL characters leaps onto the big screen... with moderate success. The Stuart sketches always made me laugh hysterically,but the movie seems to have slid away from the funny bone and into the heart. I get it, for a three minute skit to hold an audience for 90 minutes you need some substance... I'm just not sure the proper vein was tapped here. Not a bad film by any means, just not what I wanted from a Stuart Smalley movie.

• Oct 29, 2012

This movie was touching and hilarious. Time will vindicate this underrated film.