Stunt Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stunt Rock Reviews

½ May 29, 2016
If you've ever watched a movie and thought "too much movie!" Have I gotta picture for you! "Stunt Rock" is pretty much just an incoherent mess about a stunt man doing ridiculous stunts just for fun, and a crazy early heavy metal band that fused its stage show with magicians. It is all weird and pointless...but if you want some good stunts and like 70s era may find some enjoyment in the ridiculousness of the whole thing.
½ May 27, 2015
An odd mixture of stunts, hard rock, magic tricks and very little plot; possibly one of the noisiest films ever made.
November 6, 2014
Not much plot, but the stunts and the rock are pretty good.
April 25, 2014
I don't care what you say, stuntsploitation films are freaking awesome!
½ January 30, 2014
I'm glad I was able to check this one out via TCM recording off cable instead blind buying it, because as cool as the stunts are, it's got a lot more corny rock music and stage magic in there than I'm fully comfortable dealing with.

A rental at best (for me anyway), but give it a peep, see if it grabs you.
½ April 25, 2013
The first (and probably the last) film to fuse the death-defying art of stuntwork and the cutting edge theatrics of rock music. A true original. Plenty of great stunts by Grant Page; Sorcery rocks!
October 27, 2012
Sizzling combination of death-defying stunts from Grant Page along with magic and driving hard rock music in the live sets of the band Sorcery. I'm stunned Sorcery didn't become a household name. The keyboard player's mask gimmic may have hurt.
½ July 27, 2012
Sorcery's music is pretty lame and monotonous to the point the stage show and stunts don't even help this one.
½ July 27, 2012
Stunt Rock is about a Australian stuntman who comes to the U.S. A.
(L.A. California) to work on a TV series called "Undercover Girl".
The film stars Grant Page, Monique Van De Vin and the L.A. based band Sorcery.
The film was made in 1978 and directed by Brian Trenchard Smith(Aussie). Grant Page,plays the lead and as a real stuntman has many credits to his career. It's a fun film, and simply a early look at stunt work in film, as well as a music video of sorts (Long before MTV) of the great band Sorcery.
Sorcery was a theatrical music act that had a live stage show. The battle between the Merlin & Satan charactors, described as "The King of the Wizards against the prince of Darkness" was Sorcery. Their live on stage show was awesome, and like nothing else of it's kind. Even today no other stage shows were anything like this.
It features some of the best movie music of it's time.
The band "Sorcery" also have starring roles. They headlined over bands like Van Halen back then,and did many Movie & TV soundtracks back in the 70's and 80's. Also doing a number of Dick Clark TV specials. This is a unique film and band, and well worth seeing. Now available on DVD.
July 27, 2012
I love this film and band.
July 27, 2012
Galna stunts + magi + hårig, teatral 70-talshårdrock (Spinal Tap-fans: anteckna!) och absolut ingenting mer (som om det skulle behövas). Allt i härlig sjuttiotalsstil. Med andra ord: en partyrulle av rang!
½ July 27, 2012
So we watched this one last night. My expectations were low but I have to honestly say, it was a pretty decent movie. Grant Page is a real stunt man and Sorcery was a real rock band. I like theatrics so I'm sure that I would have loved to see a Sorcery concert. Anyway, this was a tad boring in spots but all in all a pretty good little movie. Right up my ally and not a complete waste of a Saturday night.
July 27, 2012
Probably the best movie ever made! You can stop making movies now, because this is the only movie we need.
July 27, 2012
This combines most of the hilarious and enjoyable things about the `70s: Metal, wizardry, massive stunts, dune buggies, magic, muscle cars, and a general lack of self-conscious restraint. That said, it's best enjoyed with a group, with the hugely enjoyable commentary track on, or both.

The genuine, fun commentary track features director Trenchard-Smith, star turned teacher Margaret Gerard and legendary stuntman Grant Page, (Mad Max, Roadgames). Trenchard-Smith is self-deprecating as always, explaining his filmmaking policy as, "When in doubt, blow it up or at least set it on fire." There is also the fun of seeing `70s Los Angeles, with Grant Page dangling over La Brea Avenue, swinging from the Hollywood sign, and generally jackassing around town.

Hilarious `70s stage Magic/Metal act Sorcery, a bunch of fully committed loons in wizard/demon costumes throwing fire and performing prop magic in a display that no club today would ever allow. Sorcery is too prominently featured for my taste, but the commentary eliminates the drag in the longer of their musical numbers.

The disc also features an understandably worn print of the excellent documentary The Stunt Men. A very fun stunt primer with plenty of behind-the-scenes content and real danger. This dvd isn't quite the value that the R4 2-disc versions of Deathcheaters and Man From Hong Kong are, but it is perhaps a more amusing intro for American fans.
½ July 27, 2012
Amazing film. If you like stunts and rock, you owe it to yourself to watch this forgotten gem.
July 27, 2012
Stunts and rock what more do you need? This was a hard one to track down but it was well worth it!
July 27, 2012
Reporter: "Why do you wear a hood?"
Guy in Hood: "Why does anyone where a hood?"
Reporter: "Well how does it feel?"
Guy in Hood: "Uncomfortable"
just ok music drama.
July 27, 2012
Do you like stunts? Do you like (bad seventies) rock? Well that's pretty much all there is in Stunt Rock! The "story", of which there really isn't one, just exists to serve up stunts and rock. Stunts. Rock. Seriously. That's it. It's gloriously cheeseball and perfect viewing after a rotten day.