Suburban Commando - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Suburban Commando Reviews

February 1, 2016
Stupid silly goofy Hulk Hogan crap. Terrible acting, cheap sets and effects, cliches, and more schlock than you can handle. It was great! Fun and entertaining B movie. By no means was this a good movie, but I would watch it again. 4/10 for quality, 8/10 for stupid entertainment.
October 20, 2015
Some say Citizen Kane is the best movie of all time, others say a Tarantino or Scorsese masterpiece. I say suburban Commando
February 5, 2015
Bad movie that one line alone I give it a star ''I was frozen today'' funny line
½ January 13, 2015
My inner child wants to give it 5 stars. I seriously haven't seen this movie in years. I'm sure it's terrible and I would probably stop watching after 5 minutes. Still, I love remembering that I loved this movie as a little kid
December 26, 2014
Though humorous to a certain extent throughout, Suburban Commando is a forgettable scifi-comedy gem with a post-Rocky II role as a space warrior by Hulk Hogan and features the unfortunately wasted talent of Christopher Lloyd following the success of the Back To The Future franchise.
½ October 31, 2014
Do not waste your time on this miserable excuse of a film! Despicable and worthless! About the only thing that was any good about this film was Christopher Lloyds line "I WAS FROZEN TODAY"!
½ September 24, 2014
The Hulk man's still got it!
½ September 7, 2014
Here we've got Hulk Hogan playing an intergalactic superhero named Shep Ramsey who has to hide out in the suburbs while his ship recharges, while he's there he meets Charlie Wilcox played by the "great scott" CHristopher Lloyd. There, Charlie and his wife decide to take him in. ALso while Hogan er I mean Ramsey is there he's tries to fit in with suburban life with some pretty hilarious results. And By the Way, THe Undertaker is in this as well, he plays one of the bounty hunters who never talks. Overall, this film so ridiculous that it's actually kinda good. THere definitely some weird parts, and the acting is questionable at some parts, but it does feature a pretty iconic line by Christopher Lloyd, I am of course talking about "I WAS FROZEN TODAY!!!" That line alone, is almost enough to make this movie worth it. So anyway, definitely one of those early 90's suburb films starring Hulk Hogan and Christopher Lloyd, pretty ridiculous, but entertaining nonetheless.
½ September 2, 2014
A disastrously bad film made in the height of Hulk Hogan's short screen fame. His acting is woeful & the story is completely ridiculous.

A space warrior sent to earth to recharge...filled with many unbelievable scenes & situations.

This may appeal to younger children but it's bad...I guess it's funny to see Hulk Hogan act.
April 20, 2014
its not that bad the best line from best actor with wwe hall of famer i was frozen to day
½ April 10, 2014
check it out for the Undertaker's early appearance
March 10, 2014
This movie gets funnier as I get older. Not a good sign, but oh well. Lets face it, this is no blockbuster film, but deep in your hearts that part of being a kid comes out and just laughs at this film. Hogan is the king of cheasy. The dialogue is hilarious and there really isnt a bad actor in this film. Lloyd is one of the better actors ive seen in my life and Larry Miller is always good for a laugh or two. Shelly isnt bad herself. I dunno, this movie fits some peoples humor and not others
½ February 3, 2014
One of the worst of the early 90's movies. So bad that an avid fan of Hulk Hogan and Christopher Lloyd will give this a thumbs down. It has the potential for "so bad, it's good" if you're that kind of viewer, but this is certainly not a movie you watch for its production values, plot, writing, or artistry.
January 15, 2014
Holy tight ass spandex Batman! a vehicle all for Hulk Hogan! luckily Christopher Lloyd is there to save the day kinda. A alien warrior that oddly enough looks exactly like a human being must save Earth and the universe from another set of aliens who also happen to look exactly like Human beings! what are the odds?.

So for better of worse Hogan is an alien that is basically space Rambo, he wears unconvincing plastic looking armour and carries unconvincing plastic looking weapons with flashing lights on them. It all looks like its been made by a fan for a comicbook convention, basically very good cosplay.

The film also kicks off with a pretty bland looking 'Star Wars' rip or homage however you wanna look at it. Its virtually shot for shot as a huge lumbering spacecraft slowly glides over the top of your screen like the Star Destroyer in 'A New Hope'. We then see a pretty terrible looking space battle with familiar looking laser shots all over and the intro of the supreme bad guy who is a short bald human. Maybe a bit of 'Spaceballs' going on there, mirroring Rick Moranis.

Most of this film comprises of small action and comedy sketches set up for Hogan to abuse with his big frame. So you get various silly scenes where he beats up bad guys, stops petty crimes, helps kids, helps old ladies, the odd pratfall and goofiness due to his super strength etc...its all very predictable and childish but then it is a kids flick.

In all honesty Hogan is a reasonable comedy actor and does ham it up nicely, he is also clearly great with kids which is nice and adds a genuine gentle touch to the films infantile bits. The best part of the film is the pretty sweet alien monster costume which appear when the bad guy transforms (yep he was a nasty alien creature all along). This suit is actually pretty scary for a kids flick which isn't surprising seeing as its a Steve Johnson creation. Other than that the rest of the effect are tacky as hell but that does kinda add to the charm I can't deny.

A typical low budget looking B-movie affair that didn't really do anything other than give Hogan some work to do. but despite that it is a warm fuzzy little flick with a good heart.
½ August 13, 2013
Compared to Mr. Nanny, it's a masterpiece; mostly thanks to Christopher Lloyd.
August 3, 2013
"I WAS FROZEN TODAY"
June 28, 2013
The part that Hulk Hogan was born to play: a misunderstood warrior soul from another planet.
May 26, 2013
good movie, funny, a must see.
March 25, 2013
Suburban Commando is a piece of ridiculous, sci-fi, 80's style jargon disguised as a family comedy from the 1990's of which Christopher Lloyd is far to talented to be a part of. It has minimal redeemable qualities for people looking for an actual good film as well as a weak screenplay full of unsuccessful one-liners.

However, Hulk Hogan is perfect for the role. He is constantly over-the-top and nothing more than a violent he-man. He is given several 80's style one-liners which he hilariously tries to deliver to rare success. Suburban Commando is fun due to it's stupidity, it's colourful setting and it's good musical score, as well as the occasional laughs. I think as a kid I would have liked this due to it's science fiction nature and funny Hulk Hogan, and frankly I enjoyed turning off The English Patient to watch this. The fact is, Suburban Commando is dumb, unserious fun.
½ February 23, 2013