Succubus (Necronomicon - Geträumte Sünden) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Succubus (Necronomicon - Geträumte Sünden) Reviews

November 18, 2015
It has its own magic...
February 26, 2011
37 year old Janine Reynaud plays stripper Lorna Greene in this acid-soaked tale of... well... ummm... no, wait... nah... that's not it... hmmm... Well, whatever this flick is about, we get to see 1960's hipsters drink, drop acid and totally trip out, man. There's nothing here even remotely about the Necronomicon, but there are a few mobile and potentially evil mannequins and some putatively evil dude who thinks to himself that he can control people with his mind. He never actually does it, but we do get to overhear him thinking about it.

Really, it is hard to figure out what's going on here as dreams and hallucinations compete for screen time with what may or may not be reality. Lorna may just be a stripper, or she might be royalty in hiding, or she may be a demon. You'll never find out, but if you just go along with all the Psychedelic Era weirdness, you'll see one of Franco's more interesting efforts.

Just don't select the brown menu.
October 18, 2010
Psicadelismo, drogas, sexo, devassidão e o diabo, tudo isto em Lisboa em 1967. Nunca imaginei que existiam barmen's todos nús so com um lacinho a servir em Lisboa nessa altura...essa foi a parte mais irreal do filme...
September 15, 2010
Boring pretentious artful film. It's too bad cause the cast was good. But about at half an hour into the film I was bored senseless. The story is told in a way that is far from any convention storytelling, and what is it exactly ? My rating is no stars.
September 15, 2010
Early piece from Jess Franco that trys to be part of the whole New Wave movement that was going on in the 60's, but seems to be too little too late. The plot is all over the place and I couldn't seem to make sense of it all but I'll try. A girl that works at some sort of bondage and s&m bar lives wildly with her boyfriend that runs the club, the two party, take acid, and then want to kill each other. Strange Franco film that almost succeeds, with style oozing out of it and a gaggle of nude women running around it just feels like something is missing that I can't put my finger on.
September 15, 2010
Jess Franco's Succubus is an atypical effort for Spain's master of sleaze. Though experimental like his later films, this maintains the polished feel of his earlier works. As such this comes closest to being a "legitimate" art film, even supposedly being praised by the great Fritz Lang! Unfortunately Franco's avant-garde excesses make this difficult to enjoy, and in many ways comes off as a rather empty imitation of guys like Luis Bunuel and Godard (the latter of whom I can't stand). There are two scenes in particular that came across as particularly pretentious: one being a word association game between Howard Vernon's character and Lorna Green (played by Janine Reynaud), and a random dialogue by one girl about great film directors. It is as if Franco is mistaking postmodern references and namedropping for substance. This is particularly frustrating because there are many effective scenes, and as I mentioned earlier the production values are some of the nicest you're likely to see in a Franco film. Though pretentious the scene with Howard Vernon did have a wonderful hypnotic quality. The way Franco weaves reality with fantasy (via Lorna's visions) is also highly effective. Perhaps my favorite moment is when Bill (played by Jack Taylor of Pieces fame!) tells Lorna the story of a weird property supposedly designed by a demon. One aspect I also really appreciated was how the soft core nonsense that plagues Franco's later films is nowhere to be found here. So to sum it all up, this is certainly better and more polished than much of Franco's work, but not nearly as focused as it should be. For now I have yet to see any Franco films that impress me as much as A Virgin Among the Living Dead.
½ September 15, 2010
Franco's first truly free movie. You have been warned. Big shout out to Blue Underground for doing all those interviews with Jesus, to bring some much needed context for all of us not on acid. Say what you will about the man, he sure is thoughtful.
½ September 15, 2010
Another bizarre Jess Franco joint that's an awesome and surreal experience if you're into his style and probably appallingly boring if you are't. Thankfully I fall into the former category and found a hell of a lot to love here. This one is oddly heavy on the dialogue for one of this guy's films, throwing in lots of random references to authors and other artists for whatever reason, plus some cool crap about a succubus (who may or may not be the main character, who [naturally] works as an erotic dancer) inhabiting a local castle. The weird fantasy sequences are nicely tripped out, including one awesome one that uses mannequins in a pretty bizarre fashion, plus the weird death scenes and kinky sex that you're probably expecting if you're interested in this film at all. Recommended.
September 15, 2010
En av de mer sanasade Franco filmerna. Jag gillar 60-tals snobbmiljöerna i filmen. Musiken är också bra. LSD-partyn och bourgeoisine dekadans.
September 15, 2010
A very surreal film. Is it reality? Is it fantasy? Do i care? It is nontheless very nice to look at, as is the leading lady Janine Reynaud as Lorna. A highly pretentious film probably best to be watched when high.
September 15, 2010
Surreal, stylish, confusing but extremely hypnotic piece of 60s erotic psychodelia. Not to be missed.
September 15, 2010
Jess Franco's slightly surrealist thriller relies on simplicity and jazz music to create a unique aesthetic involving ambiguous relationships between various lovers and the devil. Succubus is a mediocre film that casually combines sensuality with, what can be construed as, supernatural evil.
September 15, 2010
A great but strange movie
September 15, 2010
Franco does psychedllic and surreal. Not one of his best but still a good Franco time.
½ September 15, 2010
Trashy flick trying to be more than it is. Slow and boring and pretty unsexy.
September 15, 2010
More fun S&M madness from Franco. Love the pixie-ish, blonde-haired "victim" of Reynaud's stage-shows.
September 15, 2010
Look's like an ace film.