Sucker Punch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sucker Punch Reviews

October 18, 2016
No stars. This film is too simplistic and blackhearted to be the "feminist saga" it claims it is and too self-important to appeal to dumb guys who just want to drool over it's super-sexualized female antagonists. This film doesn't seem to have been made with any type of audience in mind. Yes, impressive visuals, but they aren't supported by a good story or acting, so there's no point. Warner Bros. claims this film's dismal failure at the box office was due to audiences not wanting to accept a "female action hero." For starters, the "Alien" franchise has done well for many decades,and it features a female hero. And the next year, the first installment of "The Hunger Games" came out and was a world wide smash that launched Jennifer Lawrence's career. The difference between those works and this one? Ellen Ripley and Katniss Everdeen, though living in a sci-fi world, are real characters that EVERYONE (boy or girl) can relate to because they are passionate, determined, and ready to look death square in the eye as they battle the enemy. This film has no motive, no purpose, no point. May it rest in obscurity.
October 17, 2016
I wanted to like this but it misses the mark of a good movie.
½ October 6, 2016
What a rancid piece of garbage this movie is...and then they gave Snyder Batman and Superman?! What is this life?
½ September 29, 2016
I can't give it zero, I guess. Literally the worst movie I've ever seen. And I've seen Manos. I stopped it five times in one sitting.
September 24, 2016
the movie is great not perfect but has its perks one with characters, two animation, outfits. four atmosphere and five unreal and nothing like it. the biggest problem i would say would be the plot was a little messy and was hard to follow and understand truly the meaning of the movie. but its a great movie.
September 11, 2016
It cinema for cinema's sake -- it's glossy and over the top. And IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A DEEP MOVIE. Critics be damned, I loved it -- and the sexy young women are not the main reason, but I won't complain: they kick ass and are impressive while doing so
September 7, 2016
Sucker Punch does nothing but exploit the existence and career of five young women. Putting them in skimpy outfits weren't enough to get past critics, and they weren't even enough to get past the presumed, teenage male audience. Sucker Punch just sucked.
September 5, 2016
Odd film with some visual thrills. The opening sequence is quite impressive, though the rest of the film unfortunately is not.
August 26, 2016
With over a decade's worth of films under the belt of director Zack Snyder, we've had plenty of time and opportunities to find out his strengths and weaknesses as a director. In doing so, one thing is evident: Snyder is a master of visuals, but struggles in most other departments. With all four of his preceding films being based on already established material, Snyder has been aided with a temporary crutch; even then, many of his films feel emotionally distant and lack strong character development.

With his first foray into original material, Sucker Punch, this becomes even more of a glaring problem. All of Snyder's problems as a storyteller are brought to the forefront of this film, which is disappointing considering that there's potential in this world Snyder and co-writer Steve Shibuya have created. It's a female-driven story of empowerment and overcoming objectification of women and even metaphors of overcoming sexual abuse; the problem here is that the story is told through such a confusing manner to the point where the film almost seems to be simultaneously misogynistic and intended to be empowering for females. The emphasis on overcoming oppression in fantastical settings with less focus on the real world creates a lot of problems regarding Snyder's intent of what this story wants to be.

The layers of fantastical escapism don't end there. As Babydoll (Emily Browning) dives into the imaginary brothel she's created to cope with her institution in a mental asylum, she drifts further into many other worlds alongside her fellow dancers (Abbie Cornish, Jena Malone, Vanessa Hudgens, Jamie Chung). These segments are where Snyder is given his chance to shine: with visual heavy moments of action and fight choreography. From the likes of a steam-punk World War I setting to a orc-infested castle or a futuristic train guarded by a mini-army of robots, each setting is beautifully designed and make for mostly fun romps of swift action, captured smoothly by Snyder's go-to DP Larry Fong.

Even these moments aren't without fault though. By just the second or third introduction to these fantasies, there's an overwhelming sense of repetitiveness. A Wise Man (Scott Glenn) delivers an expository explanation of the five girls' goal, they enter the world, fight their way through waves of enemies, and reach the aforementioned goal. Rinse and repeat. It feels like being relegated to watching someone play a remarkably mediocre video game: for a while, you can't help but have plenty of fun and be invested in the fictional world, but at a point, it feels like time to play something a bit more enjoyable.
August 22, 2016
Awesome movie for the ones that like steampunk fantasy.
August 21, 2016
GREAT film to watch with friends (seriously, tried watching The Town with friends, one fell asleep. I'd rather watched it alone). EPIC in the wide screen. Average acting, multi-dimensional plot was fine. VISUALS = 11/10.
½ August 20, 2016
Will def not be watching again.
½ August 10, 2016
A useless excuse for a plot to prop up hot girls fighting.
August 9, 2016
Great movie fun to watch
August 8, 2016
Conceptually brilliant and visually stunning. It can be hard to follow but that gives it rewatch value as it has a lot of little things to pick up on.
August 4, 2016
Visuals, visuals, visuals, visuals. That doesn't make it good movie. Aside from the excellent opening scene, accompanied by a decent cover of Sweet Dreams, this movie has got nothing to offer. Snyder's got some neat action concepts but no idea how to gel them into a story.
August 1, 2016
I don't understand how it is possible for me not to like this movie. It's like the director got a list of things that men love and decided to combine them into one glorious movie.
½ July 28, 2016
This movie is amazing cinematography it's so intensely creative. It's like having your imagination spill out onto film, it also has a decent story.
½ July 25, 2016
This film is far more about visual then story and characters. It almost seems like the action fantasy sequences were taken from a better film series and thrown into this one. Also if Baby Doll's dancing was so good how come we never see any of it? It makes no sense at all and get really confusing. I don't blame any of the actors since they were given a script with essentially nothing to it. The music sucks too, its all covers of much better artist and songs. The film is again all visuals (especially Emily Browning, the sexiest character hands down) and no story or characters.
½ July 23, 2016
A visual masterpiece... Just not so much a narrative one.