Sudoeste (Southwest) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sudoeste (Southwest) Reviews

May 22, 2015
This film looks absolutely amazing. It's done in black and white with slow panning shots and no quick handlings. It also use an extremely wide aspect ratio, giving the viewer loads of things to digest. Bela Tarr comes to mind, naturally.

The story is dreamy and shifting as we follow a young girl for quite some time in her life with a unconventinal storytelling. I do miss some entertainment value. Even if the looks of it is brilliant, it's tempting to look away. The story is open and there are few big moments here. This makes it challenging and a direct art-house film. It feels haunting all right, but sadly also flat.

It scores high for it looks and it's beauty. The concept and story is also getting a solid score from me. I guess it will haunt me, but it won't be remembered as a great film since it had a tendency to bore me.

6 out of 10 windmill blades.
½ September 2, 2013
I truly envy anyone who can see this movie on film. The composition and lighting are remarkable and the extremely wide aspect ratio is very well utilized. Sadly ... heartbreakingly ... the movie is being distributed via moderate quality digital means and what could be a stunning film is, instead, a very good but visually frustrating video.

The flaws include:
- the digital serrated edge look to anything with an edge
- a vagueness to slower motion when your eyes could dwell on it
- outlines bordering images against contrasting backgrounds; white outlines to dark objects against light backgrounds, black outlines to light objects against dark backgrounds. This particular flaw is thrust into view immediately as the movie begins with several minutes of silhouetted images.

I found myself often averting my gaze a bit so as to see the screen with less discerning peripheral vision - but, really, looking away is not the reaction one ought to have to a movie like this.

This may look better on Blu-Ray at home except that the aspect ration will demand a large screen to do it any justice. If, perchance, you get the opportunity to see a film print of SOUTHWEST, though - do it!