Sugar Cane Alley (Rue Cases Negres) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sugar Cane Alley (Rue Cases Negres) Reviews

½ March 24, 2013
Based on a semi-autobiographical novel written by Josef Zobel, this is a wonderful, heart-warming movie set in Martinique in the early thirties. We see the African population working in the cane fields are no longer slaves. But the white masters of a generation ago have now become their bosses, and whilst no longer entitled to beat them are still paying them wages that keep them in poverty in their village 'shacks'. Our young protagonist's Grandmother knows that only a college education in the capital will save her bright boy from a future in the cane fields. That there are so few other period pieces set in the Caribbean of any quality makes this one even more unmissable.
July 3, 2012
I have to admit that its one of the greatest film that i have ever seen or come across. I saw it for the first time in 1986 and had been searching for a copy of it on DVD so that i can share it with the younger generation. I finally got one and have watached it several times and shown it to friends and family. If you come from an island like myself you will definetely enjoy this film, associate yourself with it and see yourself or your childhood friends in one or several of the characters. Chapeau a Joseph Zobel et Euzhan Palcy and the casts. The other great film that i am looking for is the Haitian "l'Homme sur le quais" or "Man by the Shore" by Raoul Peck (1993). F.Ally
March 15, 2011
This film really captures the essence of the sugar cane culture in Martinique in the 1930s.
December 14, 2010
Direct and moving coming-of-age tale in 1930s Martinique, as an intelligent young boy struggles with issues of class and race.
July 14, 2010
(****): Thumbs Up

Wonderfully directed, acted and written. Worth seeking out if you can actually find a copy since the DVD is quite rare now.
½ March 14, 2010
PAN AND SCAN. Una historia bastante vectorial pero muy sincera y contada con candidez. La cinematografía es espectacular, así como las caracterizaciones de todos los personajes. / A very vectorial story although very sincere and candidly told. The cinematography is spectacular, as are the characterizations of all its characters.
½ January 22, 2010
Palcy has distinguished herself for being the first black woman to direct a Hollywood movie, A Dry White Season. I thought that was a decent but unremarkable drama. This earlier work is a bit better. The storyline is somewhat been-there-done-that, and the mise en scene is nothing special, but there is an authentic quality to it. In some ways it was reminiscent of Satyajit Ray. The film's greatest asset is the strong characterization: Jose and his grandmother are people who grow on you quickly.
October 6, 2009
tackles a couple of sensitive questions about the colonial legacy - obviously, can't take them all on, but that's already admirable. plus, there's some really great acting there.
½ April 20, 2009
Excellent Regionally made film. I felt like a piece of me was on the screen finally and that wasa important and wonderful to see
April 10, 2009
Surprised how much I liked this; it has the simplicity of a documentary, but it is an enriching story of a boy in Martinique affected by colonialism, pressures of excellence in school, and the diversity of thought and personality in which he is immersed in his home.
½ March 9, 2009
Very simple and genuine movie. Sometimes it felt as if the director had staged a play on screen! I liked how developed his characters are.
February 19, 2009
Decent overview of Martinique and the lasting colonial influence in the Antilles.
September 30, 2008
Charming, and beautifully made. The performances are authentic and touching.
½ August 3, 2008
Sweet, sad and joyful.
½ August 1, 2008
decent, well intetioned movie about the importance of education and family. stylistically, it reminded me of black orpheus. not terribly special though not bad persay
July 30, 2008
a film i should have seen long ago, but finally enjoyed on film at NMWA. Thank you KJ! The child star of this film is bright and sweet. The story is well crafted and every frame comments on the films thesis and critique of colonialism and slavery without feeling overdrawn.
July 30, 2008
thanks to kj i finally got to see this on film. what a change from the badly dubbed vhs copy we watched in mr. tee's french class back in high school!
April 22, 2008
stupid drunk kids hahaha
½ April 21, 2008
This movie has so many elements that create a masterpiece- most importantly a timeless message of love, value, loss, strength, determination and the wonderment of childhood. This is a must-see. Small budget, great performances and direction.
March 27, 2008
This film confirms the writings of Aime Cesaire and Franz Fanon. A true testament.