Summer Stock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Summer Stock Reviews

September 27, 2016
Any movie with Judy Garland and Gene Kelly is sure to be a success! This one shows the struggle of running a show, which I can relate to, and it has some great catchy songs!
April 9, 2016
Judy Garland's final MGM musical is light on plot but strong on personality; Kelly dances with a newspaper and does a hillbilly duet with Phil Silvers, but the best spots are saved for Judy, who sings a lovely ballad ("Friendly Star") and dazzles with her MGM swan song, "Get Happy."
August 14, 2014
This is a film about a woman who is struggling to run her family's farm on her own, when out of nowhere her little sister shows up with the entire cast of a stage play who have plans to use the barn for rehearsals and test performances. Naturally this collision of 2 different worlds leads to a lot of arguing, and also a lot of romance. I love musicals like this even though the plots are somewhat predictable, and this one has enough twists and turns that it doesn't follow all the conventions of the genre. It might not shock you, but it is good at keeping you involved because you aren't 100% sure how it will end. With star talent like Judy Garland and Gene Kelly you just know you're in for top notch song and dance numbers. Judy Garland has that big impressive voice that is so amazing, and then Gene Kelly starts dancing and I sit there in awe. The most notable numbers are Judy Garland performing "Get Happy" for the first time, and a dance number by Gene Kelly with a newspaper and a squeaky floorboard that you won't soon forget. Two of the greats at the top of their game.

The story takes awhile to get going. There is some attempts at humor early in the film, but they seem to fall flat. Even Phil Silvers hamming it up fails to elicit a laugh from me. But once the movie hits its stride and gets me emotionally invested suddenly everything starts picking up. Somewhere around the midway point it went from humorless to being laugh-out-loud funny. So you have to have patience with this film, but it will reward you in the end. The other issue I found with the movie is the fact that the film suddenly sped up and slowed down at strange moments. I'm not sure what the technical term for this situation is, but something odd went on in the editing room (or perhaps the restoration room) so that a scene is taking place at normal speed, and then a pig runs by at double speed. It was extremely awkward, but not enough to be a detriment to my enjoyment of Summer Stock. I think most people know already if this is the type of film they will like. If you've enjoyed other Gene Kelly films, this is one I would recommend, but if all that singing and dancing isn't for you then let give this one a pass.
August 5, 2014
(First and only viewing - 10/14/2013)
August 2, 2014
Great movie. Gene Kelly films are hillarious
July 19, 2014
A silly, predictable trifle, but for Garland and Kelly it's worth a viewing.
July 2, 2014
Not really a fan of Judy Garland but the story was cute although predictable.
July 1, 2014
Caught this on TCM. Hadn't seen it in decades. So, so good. It's up there with the best of the MGM musicals in my book.
June 27, 2014
I can't believe I'd never seen this all the way through. There are plenty of great moments beyond just Judy singing "Get Happy" and Gene Kelly dancing with newspaper (although those moments are brilliant).
August 23, 2012
I could listen to "Get Happy" all day, every day. Judy and Gene soar in this one. It's a fun musical.
June 16, 2012
April 21, 2012
Get Happy is the best part!
January 29, 2012
Sad to see the 'Get Happy' number, realising that it was Garland's last-ever number for MGM. This was also the last time we got to see the Garland-Kelly pairing. Certainly a fine musical from such a simple story.
½ January 6, 2012
The last third was much better than the first two thirds. Poor Judy - her weight fluctuating and at times you could see the pain in her eyes...
December 28, 2011
It's not the best Garland or Kelly film, Yet, it's highly enjoyable and moves along very quickly.
½ August 18, 2011
Fun musical! Jane (Garland) is a hard-working farmer who's ready to start the new season off with a fresh start after having unsuccessful events in the past. She gets a brand new tractor, but while in a great mood, her sister Abigail (DeHaven) brings summer stock actors to the farm to put on a show. At first, Jane is skeptical, but when she meets Abigail's fiancee Joe (Kelly) she ends up falling for him, and at the same time gets bitten by the performing bug herself. Obviously, this is the typical MGM musical: song + dance + Technicolor + musical actors = one, and "Summer Stock" is a great example. This is almost a sad film in some ways-- this was Garland's last MGM film before getting fired for drug use and emotional problems. Even with her whirlwind personal life, it does not show a bit here. Every musical number she performs is so upbeat and fun, and she has a smile on her face the entire time. The finale has one of her favorite's "Get Happy" and it has got to be one of those moments that spells out "classic". She really can be such a positive figure, showing that no matter what, good can always come through. Kelly is great too, and as usual is making his feet movie like lightning bolts. He and Judy somehow have great chemistry, and it's sad that this was their last film together, because with musicals, they are terrific together. I really liked Eddie Bracken too as support-- he's one of those underrated comedic actors that we all loved in "Hail the Conquering Hero" so it's really nice to see him making a comeback as the nerdy typecast. Him mixed with the other two leads somehow make this movie even more memorable. "Summer Stock" might not be the most original movie, but what's not to like about a movie that doesn't put you in a good mood??!
July 5, 2011
Absolutely fantastic. I love this movie so much, and it instantly just became one of my new favorite movies!!!! B+
½ June 10, 2011
Judy Garland looked pretty good in her big number, especially considering she was so doped up on prescription drugs and on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
½ May 27, 2011
A cute musical! Judy Garland has got such a strong voice, and Gene Kelly is equal parts charm and talent.
February 7, 2011
Am watching this movie right now. One of my favorites. Judy Garland is awesome as always, as are Gene Kelly and Phil Silvers. Perfect supporting cast of Gloria de Haven, Marjorie Main and Eddie Bracken. Plot, as is the case with many musicals, is secondary to great musical numbers and songs. A really enjoyable example of how fun this genre can be!