Summer Stock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Summer Stock Reviews

½ December 19, 2010
I love Judy Garland... She just has the presence needed to put on a show... What a talent. I really enjoyed this movie/musical a lot!
October 26, 2010
An okay movie, full of song and dance numbers with little story, which kind of gets on my nerves sometimes. I'd say this is an average musical comedy.
September 29, 2010
Come on, get happy! Judy has never, ever, been funnier than in this charmer about a touring musical troupe performing in her barn. Gene Kelly and Marjorie Main offer sensational support, but this is all Judy's picture.
½ August 23, 2010
A strange little outing involving actors wanting to perform in a barn and make the young girl living therre a star. I read that Judy was causing trouble with her drinking and they had to shoot around it. Gene Kelly really shines in this one and Phil Silvers has his moments.
August 19, 2010
not as good as other mgm musicals but stil worth watching
July 26, 2010
My favorite Garland film after "Meet Me in St. Louis", if only for her performance of "Get Happy" .
July 18, 2010
LOVE this movie!!! It's one of my favs - and with 2 of my favorite actors!! This movie is what made me fall in love w/1950s musicals!!!
July 3, 2010
By-the-numbers, but oh, what numbers! It would make a great double-bill with WAITING FOR GUFFMAN.
½ March 19, 2010
Formulaic "let's put on a show" premise? Check. Utterly predictable plot? Check. Show-stopping performances by Judy Garland and Gene Kelly that make you feel happy to be alive after a long week of soulless office work? Check check check! Highlights include Kelly's brilliant solo dance with a newspaper, Garland's performance of "Get Happy" and an exuberant dance-off between the two. Brimming with energy and classic MGM musical charm. Formulaic, yes - but a what a great formula.
½ January 10, 2010
Not the best of both Gene and Judy's work. Even not the best, 4.5 stars are still recommended. There will never be another Gene or Judy again. I love You wonderful you most.
January 7, 2010
The songs are catchy, the dance infectious and... well it's Judy and Gene! What do you expect but magic?
August 16, 2009
To look at Summer Stock you wouldn't think there were any challenges. Everyone seems to be having a happy time. The remarkable thing is how Judy Garland's weight problems, due to over eating and drugs, were covered up. She looks fresh and bubbly along with her co-star, Gene Kelly. The two are perfectly paired and with the comedy of Phil Silvers and "other woman" of Gloria DeHaven, this musical comes off swimmingly. A must see if you are a fan of Judy Garland.
½ July 17, 2009
There are some films that you just love in spite of their shortcomings. In this film the mediocre plot and middle-of-the-road filler songs are more than made up for by the talented cast, the chemistry between Gene Kelly and Judy Garland, and two legendary music/dance sequences. I love this film unapologetically.
April 26, 2009
one of the best musicals ever!
January 31, 2009
judy and gene are the perfect couple in any musical!
January 30, 2009
the film is ok but you MUST see "Get happy"...
January 4, 2009
Light-hearted Judy Garland musical with a sledgehammer-subtle practical-folksy-country-types-versus-artsy-modern-city-types plot (there's even a square-dancing versus jive dancing scene!). Garland is as charismatic as ever, despite whatever may have been going on behind the scenes. Silvers is insufferable as the misplaced comic relief, though, and the whole thing has a few too many one-note characters. Still, the overall affair is bags of fun, with Get Happy an obvious highlight.
December 20, 2008
Judy and Gene. Delightful. She is so vulnerable here, he seems to be the person she leans on. I can usually stand Silvers, but not in this one.
December 15, 2008
not thanks not my thing
½ December 13, 2008
First Garland/Kelly I've seen. Straightforward plot that was not as satisfying as the dancing. Memorable moments: Kelly's farm chore dance on the kitchen table; the Portland Fancy number that goes from a square dance to a lindy hop to a dance off between the stars; Kelly's newspaper-and-creaky-floorboard solo; and Garland's leggy "Get Happy." Could've done without the Phil Silvers, though...