Summer's Blood (Summer's Moon) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Summer's Blood (Summer's Moon) Reviews

April 30, 2014
I absolutely ADORE this movie, but then again, I love B-Rate horror films! This film has a reality to it, and a unique story line. Who keeps a girl as a garden angel? Very good! !00% RECOMMEND!
½ April 11, 2014
It's fuck or get fucked.

A young woman with a checkered past seeks out her father she has never met. She heads into a small town and meets an eccentric family of serial killers that captures and tortures her. Her adopted father that raised her begins looking for her but doesn't get much help because of her reputation. Can the step dad find the girl before the serial killers dispose of her?

"I swear, sometimes I wonder how I gave birth to a child this fucking stupid."

Lee Damarbre, director of Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter, Harry Knuckles and the Pearl Necklace, The Dead Sleep Easy, and Smash Cut, delivers Summer's Moon. The storyline for this picture is fairly average and a bit predictable. It did keep my attention long enough to want to know what happens, but not enough to separate itself in the genre.

"I didn't kill her. Don't say that ever again."

I grabbed this movie off Netflix the other night because the plot sounded interesting; unfortunately, this film plays out in a predictable and straightforward fashion. The acting is also fairly average and the cast includes Ashley Greene, Peter Mooney, Barbara Niven, Peter Michael Dillon, and Allison Graham. Overall, the film isn't a complete waste of time but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it either.

"I need you to keep me safe, okay?"

Grade: C
March 24, 2014
One line summary: Ugly Canadian slasher film with incest and bad line reading.

-----------------

Summer travels to the small town of Massey, where she hopes to connect with her long lost father. After shoplifting in a convenience store where a cop is, the cop gives chase. Tom helps her escape the cop, and she goes home with him and has a one night stand. The next morning, though, Tom lets her know that she's not leaving. Tom's mother Gaia hits her over the head with a blunt object to drive the point home.

When Summer wakes up from the head blow, she's staked, all four limbs, to a gardening bed full of exposed soil. She's not alone; there's another captive woman not far away. One version of the title is "Summer's Blood," and we can guess the origin.

Darwin, Summer's putative father, gets out of jail, and comes looking for Summer. The Sheriff listens, but Summer has not left an impression that keeps his interest. He makes a few inquiries; Gaia is the first one whom he asks. Gaia tries to talk Tom into abandoning his 'gardening' and setting the girls free to avoid trouble with the law.

Tom does some reading, which he shares with Gaia. They set Summer free, but keep her in their orbit. Soon after, Gant Hoxey calls, and there are a series of revelations.

Then the emotional fireworks start. Who survives the gore fest?

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 5/10 On the dark side for the interiors, with better than VHS quality, but not by much. The colour palettes were often ugly to the point of looking like 1970s video shown during late night. The exteriors, fewer in number, were better, but still had the low-budget look to them.

Sound: 5/10 For a Canadian film done in English, the actors seem to be lip-synching. Perhaps that's a Netflix problem, sound versus video. Music did not seem to be an asset.

Acting: 4/10 Peter Michael Hilton and Paul Whitney were just horrible. Even as little as ten hours practicing reading lines might have helped. On the other hand, veterans Stephen McHattie and Barbara Niven were very good. Peter Mooney and Ashley Greene were just all over the map, occasionally believable, usually terrible.

Screenplay: 2/10 The film is fairly open about incest, real or intended (Gaia and Tom, Tom and Summer, Gant and Summer), but does not seem to even try to capitalise on the shock value. The gardens did not make any sense. Was Tom just practicing protracted torture, or was there something to be gained from the plants? Referring to the original title, was blood actually involved there? What did the young women before Summer actually die from?
October 23, 2013
You'll have the entire plot figured out after only 10 minutes.
½ April 22, 2013
This movie is pretty much worthless. Terrible acting, dialogue, tedious..stay away.
½ April 6, 2013
The point where horror meets horrifically bad.
February 28, 2013
It is the first movie that the girl is smart
November 2, 2012
It's a Canadian slasher flick starring one of the supporting cast from 'Twilight' that went straight to DVD. If you're a 12 year old goth girl who can't pronounce 'about' correctly, you might be this movie's demographic.
½ October 13, 2012
Not bad for a slasher flick.Creepy family.
½ September 30, 2012
summers blood should be known as summers bomb. terrible acting and a preposterous story leave no ground for anything interesting to happen
½ September 13, 2012
the father in this movie is actually really likable killer
September 6, 2012
Good, but very creepy.
September 1, 2012
I'm still watching it but it's sooo good! I'm glad this movie is something different from other movies. I love it and that family is cray cray! They need some help like professional help-for real.
½ August 29, 2012
She should have stuck with Twilight.
August 8, 2012
This movie is incomprehensibly awful. Poor acting, poor story, predictable plot lines . . . blah, blah, blah. I sometimes wonder how movies like this ever get made.
July 27, 2012
I gave it one extra star then this predictlble and clunky film deserves cause Ashley Greene(Twilight series) is in it and has a few nude scenes
½ July 21, 2012
the father in this movie is actually really likable killer
May 12, 2012
Loved this movie suspensful
April 18, 2012
I really like Ashley Greene. The camera work an effects could have been better but overall fair movie.
½ April 11, 2012