The Sun Also Rises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sun Also Rises Reviews

½ May 9, 2016
A rivating and beautifully filmed rendition of the Hemingway classic. The bullfight scence is a classic. The cast, however, should have featured much younger actors.
March 22, 2014
sad 2c flynn so bloated and drunkard which was basically himself by then
March 2, 2014
Femme Fatale Lady Brett (Eva Gardner)travels with an Entourage of Admirers, she enjoys a Love them & Leave Them lifestyle with Bullfighters, Millionaires, & the Poor Souls who follow her around the World just to be near her.Visually Stunning Locations & Events that include the Running with the Bulls in Spain & Bullfights.I Love this book & this Movie takes liberties, but I love this Movie too.
January 25, 2013
Bad adaptation of the book, but a great movie to see old Zorro (Tyrone Power) and old Robin Hood (Errol Flynn) sitting in the sun in Spain, enjoying life. And you see legendary Paramount producer Robert Evans as the young matador, the rest of the cast thought he sucked, but director Henry King wrote them a note saying 'the kid stays in the picture'. This is also the title of Evans' autobiography and his 2002 documentary on his own carreer.
May 31, 2012
Pretty good, but the book is so much better.
½ April 11, 2012
A great cast cannot hide that most are 20 - 30 years older than Hemingway's reflection on damaged humanity pretending wholeness calls for. As well many of Hemingway's subtleties are neutered or cast away altogether. Still interesting ... especially Flynn's turn as basically himself - after the party's over.
March 3, 2012
I didn't know Hemingway could be so dull.
February 18, 2012
Ok. Here's the thing. This movie may have been a faithful adaptation, but at just over two hours it felt like three. The pacing seemed to plod along, particularly in the beginning, and I'm just gonna say it- it's because Tyrone Power was extremely lackluster in his characterization. Errol Flynn is the true shining star in this picture and consequently the film really does pick up with a new breath of fresh air when he enters the story. If you can get thru the first half then the second will be quite refreshing. FLYNN!!!
March 12, 2011
What a boring movie! I don't even know how they drained all the life out of it when the book is the world's greatest soap opera. It's all steam cleaned and white washed for 50s audiences. There was none of the drunken gaiety over poorly suppressed hostility. Ava Gardener wasn't even pretty or sultry enough to justify the men falling all over her.

I gave it one star for Errol Flynn and Eddie Albert. Flynn was delightful even when throwing a tantrum. I also gave it one star for the opening ceremony of the bullfight. I don't remember what imagery I got from the book but having never seen a bullfight and only seeing matadors in pictures, I was completely drawn in to the spectacle.
January 4, 2011
Alas, disappointing. First irritation - an adaptation of one of the greatest novels of the 20th century, whose greatest claim to greatness is the story it tells without telling it, i.e. the story the reader infers. So what does Hollywood do? Add extra scenes to fill in the gaps, including opening and closing voice overs explaining the premise of the book. Voice overs! Also casting not great with most of the main five male characters never really looking comfortable. Some of the effects are very dated. Ava Gardner wasn't too bad in patches, but she had no one to work with. The dialogue was lifted in huge chunks from the book, but that's not enough.
November 1, 2010
Didn't expect much from this screen adaptation of the Hemingway novel of the same name, since the brilliance of the author lies in the power of his prose - succinct yet effective. Still, the setting and background of the book easily translate into a colorful and exotic travelogue of Pamplona and its bullfights, on film. The cast are too old for the care free characters they play. Entertaining nonetheless.
½ August 28, 2010
The Sun Also Rises, having it to be one of my fav books, I have to say that Henry King did a good job telling the story in its original order and words. But something was missing, I can't quite say what. It was lack of the lonliness and lost feeling that this characters had, especially Jake. I also thought they could find other actors that fit to play Jake and Brett more than Ava Gardner and Tyrone Power. Mel Ferrer was great though, because I hated him as much as I hated the Robert when I read the book.
June 14, 2010
Well...This one wasn't one of my favorites. It wasn't a horrible film, it's just that, everyone of the main stars seemed tired. Ava was lovely as ever but there was something missing. Tyrone has some spunk for the role, but kinda fell short. And, Errol was just there most of the time. He was either drunk or playing drunk the entire film. Again..Not a "bad" film, but not that great either...
April 22, 2010
The story drags on and leads to nowhere, the main reason to watch "The Sun Also Rises" is to see legendary stars Tyrone Power, Errol Flynn and the dashing Ava Gardner together in the same movie.
September 23, 2009
Never read the book, but I liked the movie nonetheless. A gripping tale of life's woes.
½ August 23, 2009
It's not dreadful but everybody is too old and it drags.
December 26, 2008
Long and boring, with a bunch of mostly annoying main characters.
September 16, 2008
the 1957 screen adaption of ernest hemingway's "the sun also rises" is disastrously blasphemous to a great book of its time and spirit. the basic storyline remains but other essential elelments get neglected and altered to fit into the patriachic social norm. and it even betrays the book's aloof nihilism by having its characters praying for a god, puritanically sanitized. further, it mars one of the earliest quitessential feministic characters in the field of american literature, brett ashley, by degrading her as a man-worshiper instead of its original portrait as the phallic woman with a defiant attitude of sexual liberation. hemingway's central core is based on an aimless existentialistic quest after the first world war, loss of belief in conventions for genders, church and social norm. and the scriptor seems retarded enough to eliminate every crucial line in the novel then create a tear-jerking mediocre romance.

the original story in the novel would be: a postwar veteran journalist jake barnes who suffers from his love for a promiscuious woman named brett ashley. due to his wound from the war, he cannot have her due to physical impotency so he bitterly witnesses everyone around him carnally involved with her. then this woman sleeps with a jew named robert cohn whom he secretly comtempts, so this impotent loser schemes to revenge the jew by introducing this floozie to a bullfighter she has an immediate crush on, who is young enough to be her son. then the jew gets pissed so he smacks everyone to make a scene and be dismissed by brett. the other characters include jake's fishing pal bill who provides him solace of healthy companionship and the alcoholic fiancee of brett's,mike, who is a bankrupt hedonist with a sardonic sense of humor. eventually brett needs jake's money to leave the young bullfighter, so he rushes chivalrically to rescue her out of jam, and the story ends with brett uttering affectionate words like "we could have had a nice time together" while the man replies "isn't it pretty to think so?" both drenched in imaginary dreaminess as if the war didn't take jake's potency.

the movie chooses to beautify jake so it could be a star vehicle for tyrone power, and ava gardner's brett craves for jake but jake refuses to accept her due to his "inferior complex"..and jake doesn't descend as a pimp in the movie...and cohn is not a jew in the movie. (anti-semiticism is not a wholesome idea to sell.)it totally betrays the original spirit of gender reversal since brett should be the aggressive one who just wanna sex then depart; jake would be the submissive one who is always awaiting her return...the movie finishes with her begging him to take her together and some dialogues added: "is there some way out of it?" "there must be an answer to it!" so suddenly hemingway's lost bohemians now yearn for a god to solve things???

the best acting surprisingly belongs to errol flynn whose humorous tone and drunk demeanors are adequate to the novel's depictions. so one star for flynn, one star for ava gardner's wardrobe and one star for its vivid cinematography. the rest stinks!

hemingway's viewpoint would be the real hero is the bullfighter who rises up repeatedly after being beaten up by a jew(in the movie, the bullfighter just gets knocked down without rising back.), managing to continue his sacred career of bullfighter while he still carries the wound. but the director chooses a fresh-faced lad named robert evens to play this character, and it aggravates hemingway so deeply that he forms league with tyrone power, ava gardner and eddie albert together to protest to the studio, somehow evens still stays since the director says "the kid stays in the picture"...after his clumsy performance, evens realizes he has no "it" as an actor so he decides to become a producer then reaches glorious success of a series of masterpieces like "chinatown", "rosemary's baby", "godfather"....etc. and it's all recorded in the documentary "the kid stays in the picture"...i suggest audience either chooses to read the book of "the sun also rises" or watch robert evens' life story.
September 5, 2008
amazing cast Flynn looks so beat up its sad
August 8, 2008
Terrible adaptation of Hemingway's classic "lost generation" novel. Never once was I drawn into the picture. It was not the 1920's but 1950's that was portrayed. Completely lost the point of Hemingway's novel..they even included a dorky, crosseyed matador. The one aspect I thought they would be able to maintain from the book. From beautiful and compelling to a dreadful bore. The only highlight was Flynn, who showed the best acting in one movement than the entire cast throughout the film. I highly recommend just rereading the book. Best "bad scene" from the movie...they are driving in a 1920's car and in the rear window the cars following them are obviously not from that era. It is even more irratating to see scenes ripped off from the pages of "A Farewell to Arms". Jake's injury is not hinted at...we are wacked with a sledge hammer. He is IMPOTANT. Oh, and a modern reader should be a fan of the "lost generation"...after all, it is a sad mirror to today's disinfancized youth. Maybe a modern version would be titled "Under the Same Redundant Sun".