Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat Reviews

½ March 3, 2016
Slightly camp with its delivery, this perfectly sets up the fact it's a comedy - especially as its Vampires living in one of the sunniest climates in the world! It has a b-movie quality to it though.
September 13, 2015
Just reading that the film stars Bruce Campbell as a descendant of Van Helsing and David Carradine as the leader of the vampires sounds like B movie magic.
And the result is this wonderful and enjoyable horror western.
It's also one of the cheesiest and oddest vampire movies ever made, but it's Schindler's List compared to Twilight.
½ June 19, 2015
A wacky vampire tale. One of, if not the first time I saw things like wooden bullets and using synthetic blood and suntan lotion to be out in the sun. Plus Bruce Campbell and David Carradine, how can you go wrong?
June 22, 2014
Not as funny as the premise might suggest.
August 11, 2013
chessey but funny to watch
April 20, 2013
Due to Bruce Campbell and David Carradine, this B+ flick is worth a look. Think a lighter version of Dusk til Dawn, with more dawn and less demons.
½ March 20, 2013
Fun vampire film. Interesting and unique concept with a great cast. The story is a little slow but gets fairly entertaining towards the end.The effects are so-so, and some scenes drag on too much. Still, it's a fun watch and pretty enjoyable.
September 2, 2012
One of the better vampire movies that tries to do something new. It's a cheesy, fun, comic-book like 80's movie with a sense of humor and a rousing score.
August 21, 2012
As fun as i remember... dodgy fx, dodgy music, dodgy acting... but a whole lot of fun. :-) Bruce Campbell is great!
½ December 25, 2011
Great story with vampires trying to change their ways and live alongside humans. Good comedy and good story.
½ October 5, 2011
Was hoping for a lot more Bruce Campbell, as he was the only reason that I watched it. It was an okay movie with some entertaining moments.
½ July 14, 2011
One the oddest vampire flicks I've seen for sometime with a blend of western, redneck, comedy and horror which doesn't really come off 100%. I was hoping for an 'American Werewolf' type film and this is certainly bizarre enough to pull that off but the effects are pretty tame and nothing really truly exciting actually happens.

There is a good cast in here its gotta be said, E. Walsh, Ireland, Caulfield, Carradine and horror comedy legend Bruce Campbell but the direction is weak and the film fails to grab your attention as a spooky vampire thriller, the fact that all the vamps are almost all old people and regular working Joe's just doesn't work here. I have seen some vamp Westerns before and they have always added to the mythology with their own cool ways but this misses the target simply cause it doesn't feel like a vamp film, its too camp and cheesy plus it looks kinda cheap too, shame as the films poster was always really nice.
½ March 11, 2011
It was definitely a good movie, no doubt about that, but I was disappointed with all the stuff it was set up to do but never accomplished. Movie cover featured, and big names on set David Carradine as Count Dracula and Bruce Campbell as Van Helsing, never actually did anything whereas small-timer Jim Metzler took all the screen time.
February 18, 2011
Oh God....Bruce Campbell and David Carradine vs. vampires? Where do I sign?
½ January 31, 2011
Vammpires with tongue and cheek but just like in real life.... daddy wannted more tongue.... it just wasnt consistently riduculous enough... bruce does an ok job but lacks the screen time to really make me chuckle. such an absurd idea so undermined...
½ October 25, 2010
Well it was differnt for sure vampire westren movie with Bruce Campbell which he was alittle funny in it but thats about it was an alright movie
September 16, 2010
Tongue-in-cheek vampire flick that is actually good. Sure it's ridiculous, but the actors give it all they've got, and they've got some ridicule in them. Enjoying Carradine and Campbell, I had a good time watching this. It doesn't take itself seriously, at least not too much.
July 16, 2010
An over the top campy comic book style vampire western starring Bruce Campbell and David Carradine. Very odd indeed. I say check it out.
June 24, 2010
This has Bruce Campbell in it, so it's worth a view. But the best part was Deborah Foreman, circa 1988. Wowsers.
October 29, 2009
Frankly anyhow who doesn't enjoy SUNDOWN: THE VAMPIRE IN RETREAT is either a cinematic snob or has no funnybone whatsoever. I've been waiting for this flick to be released ever since I bought my first DVD player! The plot (as you undoubtedly now by now) centers around a machine that manufactures the synthetic blood that feeds the vampiric citizenry of Purgatory, a town founded by Count Mardulak (David Carradine) to serve as a retreat for all those bloodsuckers who wish to mend their ways. Unfortunately there are those within the town who aren't quite so eager to abandon the old ways, and a civil war slowly breaks out. A young family is caught in the middle of this as is a descendent of Professor Van Helsing, played by our man Bruce Campbell. This is a nearly bloodless vampire flick with lots of gentle, quirky humor that's suitable for the whole family. I can recommend this one whole heartedly!