Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat Reviews

½ October 18, 2009
Bruce Campbell. Normally that would be enough said. But there's also John Carradine, John Ireland, M Emmet Walsh.

Is it a comedy? Is is it a western? Is it a horror movie? The answer to all these is yes. Be sure to check out this little late 80's gem on DVD and you get some great interviews with the cast plus an audio commentary (I haven't listened to that one yet).

Pre Tru-Blood, it's a movie that has vampires trying to live with humans, however it's in the begining and not all the vampires are too hip on the idea.

Put it on your Netflix queue and have a great time.
October 7, 2009
I like the fact that this movie tries a different take on vampire movies. A town where Dracula himself has established a society where vampires live together in peace without harming humans or craving their blood thanks to a chemical/blood substitute, but there soon occurs an uprising as some vampires want the real thing. An interesting horror/comedy with a touch of western starring 2 B-movie legends, Bruce Campbell and the late David Carradine.
September 22, 2009
An interesting take on vampire movies where Dracula himself has established laws and a society in which vampires can live in a town where they can be in peace and live amongst their own. Good storyline and a good cast including Bruce Campbell and David Carradine. An above average vampire movie.
September 5, 2009
Bruce Campbell and David Carradine star in this modern-day vampire flick. A small New Mexico town is home to vampires as they wish to become more mainstream and stop killing humans. Some in the town disagree and a vampire war ensues. Comedic w/ great scenery.
½ July 26, 2009
i cant help it,.
i love this one.,.,
½ July 5, 2009
I don't know if I've ever seen a movie straddle the comedy/horror line so successfully. You're aways laughing with Sundown, not at it. The secret to it's success is it's tone; it's almost completely a comedy.And it makes great use of it's cast. David Carradine, Bruce Campbell and M Emmet Walsh are all excellent character actors, and all of their strengths are played to brilliantly. The attention to detail is also unusual for a production of this type. All of the background characters are fully realized, individual characters from costume to performance. An unapologetically fun movie.
June 27, 2009
It's an interesting movie, but Bruce Campbell as a bumbling Van Helsing character and David Carradine as the head of the peaceful vampire faction are the only things that make this movie watchable.
June 23, 2009
Vampire sect attempts to integrate in society by using sunscreen and producing synthetic blood alternative. Unique but may suffer from an identity crisis; crossing vampire, western and comedy lines. David Carradine lends some dignity to the film.
June 5, 2009
This one kind of surprised me as I didn't think it was going to be that good. Not too bad of acting and it had some really funny moments. There were times when it would get a little stupid, but I can live with what I saw and say that I enjoyed it.
April 13, 2009
Don't see this movie unless you like cheesey acting or Bruce Campbell.
March 26, 2009
Some ok bits in it , has become a cultish flick but nothing really stands out in it to remember .
½ March 12, 2009
Low budget b-movie, but an entertaining one if you're into that and vampire-themed films. It's a slightly different take on the usual vampire films.
½ March 11, 2009
Vampire Western Comedy?! Fun movie to watch.. Any fan of Bruce Campbell will love this.
March 10, 2009
Starts out a bit goofy, but really grows on you. Vampire Comedy Western is a hard genre to master...
Good performances from familiar character actors, and nice touches throughout.
February 28, 2009
How I didn't discover this movie for almost 20 years I have no idea!! Some great things going on in this movie. David Carradine and Bruce Campbell are great as always. Dana Ashbrook from Twin Peaks fame makes an appearance. The soundtrack seems like it was pulled from an Indiana Jones flick. And the plot is incredibly entertaining. An all American family moves to Purgatory, a town filled with vampires. All of whom try to "humanize" themselves during the day by wearing sunglasses, 100 SPF sunblock, large hats, and drinking synthesized blood. I just discovered a movie called Monster Squad from around this same time and hopefully I'll find more like both of these. Recommended to all!!!!!!
½ February 26, 2009
Probably the strangest vampire movie I've ever seen. Count Dracula, under a worse pseudo-name than Alucard, but played by David Carradine decides to try to make good by God by creating a vampire community out in a sun-blasted desert ghost town where they try to create an artificial blood processing plant...Only some of the vampires don't think it's such a hot idea and in the end there's a big western town-wide shoot-out (wooden bullets). Bruce Campbell plays a Van Hellsing descendant who adds quite a bit of light-hearted comedic elements to the movie. Otherwise it's a fairly camp early 90's movie with a few camera moves (a few western-inspired sweeping crane shots to show off the setting) & a musical score that are both clearly bigger than the movie itself.
½ January 24, 2009
The first half drags a little, but is amusing enough. The second half is pretty awesome and Bruce Campbell steals every scene he's in. Deborah Foreman is amazingly cute, and managed to not be in really anything after this. Morgan Brittany has a terrible case of 80's glasses, and David Carradine shows up with a cowboy hat. Entertaining movie, funny movie, worth checking out for those who like the sound of a vampire western set in the 80's.
½ December 29, 2008
Probably the best vampire western ever made.
November 26, 2008