Sunny (Sseo-ni) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sunny (Sseo-ni) Reviews

June 18, 2016
Its one of the best movie of Korea, no wonder that this is part of their box office list.
October 3, 2015
Fairly entertaining.
½ December 28, 2014
Didn't know what to expect when watching this, but now I can say I am truly satisfied with this movie about girls and friendships.
½ March 24, 2014
4.5/5 Hilarious coming-of-age story of a modern house wife remembering her high school friends and the trouble they got in to. Get the uncut version.
July 27, 2013
E poi uno guarda un film cos e di cinema non capisce pi niente. Un equilibrio perfetto tra commedia e dramma, capace di farti ridere e piangere tenendo l'attenzione per 2h15 minuti senza mai essere "troppo" (4/5)
½ June 17, 2013
"Sunny" entra en esa descripcin de cine "crowd-pleaser" con momentos muy divertidos, otros conmovedores y otros ms trgicos. Su historia nos introduce a Na-Mi en su vida adulta, casada con un millonario y tratando de entender a su hija adolescente. En su juventud Na-Mi perteneci a un grupo llamado Sunny y la cinta nos introduce a las dems integrantes (una de ellas tiene cancer terminal por lo que deciden reunirse despus de 25 aos).
"Sunny" es una propuesta coreana muy divertida y conmovedora que nos atrapa con sus elementos de nostalgia.
April 29, 2013
I am not a huge fan of Korea movies, but this is one of my favorite movies of all time. It is definitely more of a slice-of-life style film, and it leaves me crying every time. And even though you would think Chunhwa's passing would be the reason to be crying, it is actually the happiness and peace that was brought to the other girls through her death that makes me cry. This film is also very funny, and although the subtitles don't do it justice and times, it is still extremely enjoyable for people who don't speak Korean.
I wish this film had more exposure outside of Korea. It is such a good movie, and no matter how many times I watch it, I can always watch it again and still love it!
December 5, 2012
A Korean flick that is about a middle aged woman who finds one of her best friends from high school and becomes reminiscent of her past. She then becomes motivated to go and seek the rest of her old high school gang and reunite them once again.

This is kind of like a Korean version of what I would imagine that Ya-Ya Sisterhood series is about. The movie flashes back and forward from present day to the past (usually with some clever transitions). The past sections sets up the relationships between all these girls and the present day is usually filled with seeing what has become of each of them. Predictably, pretty much all of them are in some sort of mess. Some more than others, but not one of them is actually living a great life. The one with the most 'normal' life is the main character, Na-mi. Though she's trapped in that sort of mundane housewife life. Thinking back to her high school days slowly brings her out of her funk, though. The rest are in predictable situations... one is married but her husband is having an affair, one is doing poorly at work and is on the brink of being fired, one is in some sort of Cinderella house maid situation, one is some sort of prostitute, etc. Honestly, the present day situations were okay, but weren't nearly as fun and interesting as the high school days. The flashback high school days are filled with colorful 80s (I think) outfits and crazy situations. Na-Mi and friends are part of some sort of crazy all girl high school gang that go around and beat other all girl high school gangs up. Between that, they have crazy girlie fun singing, dancing and being all sorts of nutty. There are 7 in total in the gang (called Sunny). Not all the characters are fleshed out completely - most only get a cursory introduction that tells the viewer what that girls' particular 'quirk' is - you know... the tough one, the shy one, the pretty one, the fat one, etc. But three of the characters get pretty good treatment and have a developed personality. I was surprised to see Sora Kang in this movie because I've only seen her before in the TV drama Dream High 2 where she played an incredibly annoying character, so I didn't really like her there. But she does a good job here and was my favorite character.

While there's nothing particularly new going on in this movie, it was just a lot of fun to watch. I really liked the characters and their high school adventures were funny to watch. The adult situations were not bad either, if predictable. There is one pretty awesome scene when they are adults, though, that is just madness. Like most Korean movies, it shifts back and forth from drama to comedy to just wild slapstick, but it mainly balances on dramedy pretty well. It doesn't throw any kind of crazy genre shift like most Korean dramas do. I enjoyed it thoroughly, even though it's more than 2 hours long. There are a few gripes I have... mainly a sub plot involving a guy that really has no bearing on the story, and the ending. It felt a little strange and I think it would have been better if a few situations were slightly reordered (you don't even get to find out what's going on in the adult life of one of the main gang members). Still, good stuff. The synopsis of this movie makes it sound like a straight out drama snoozefest, but it's actually very charming and has quite a few funny scenes. Check it out if you're in the mood for some zany Korean adventures with a bit of heart.
November 25, 2012
Made me laugh hard <3
October 8, 2012
If you indulge in enjoyable recollection of past events. Then you will love this movie. Every one can relate to it in the sense that everyone reminisces from time to time.
September 30, 2012
Its like if you combine Azumanga Daioh with Adam Sandler Grown up....
A very heart warming stories about child hood friends and their adventure from youth to adult hood.
August 15, 2012
Funny and sad. I enjoyed it.
½ August 3, 2012
Funny and lovely! i enjoyed every second of it!
½ July 23, 2012
This is a pretty damn good movie and actually pretty much unlike any Korean film I've seen so far. In that I haven't seen a movie that solely dedicated itself on teenagers and their experiences, I'd have thought that their TV dramas dealt more with that. Granted that is only part of the film, as it is also them, as adults, trying to get the group together one last time for their dying 'leader'. But it definitely handles its characters with a sweetness, warmth, and humor that most movies that try to do this same thing can't even come close to. Of course this means that the film can be overly sentimental at times, but it never degrades into melodrama. The cast is excellent, both teens AND adults, and they do a great job at sort of making you believe that they grew up into these women. I mean I still know it's obviously two different sets of actresses, but they still did an excellent job at making the transition from teen to adult feel seamless and not awkward. Of course it's also important for this group of women to feel like lifelong friends and they also do an excellent job at that. And again this applies both to the teens and to the adults. They had a friendship that I believed, for the characters themselves, would be one, and this is cliched as fuck, they would never forget. So yea I very much liked this movie, the only weakness is that it can be very sentimental at times but it's still a really good movie that treats its character with respect and heart.
June 6, 2012
Wonderful feel-good buddy comedy-drama. Korean drama fans will recognize many of the actors. Go with a good friends, you'll laugh and cry together.
½ May 8, 2012
Todas las peliculas que el tema principal es la amistad, deberian de ser como esta, sin ser vacia y vanidosa cuenta el lazo de amistad de 7 adolescentes de secundaria y realistamente como al salir de la escuela dejan de verse, cada una hace su vida y 25 años despues las reune una razon de mucho peso para recordar sus vivencias y recordar su amistad (la principal está enferma de cáncer). Te muestra las costumbres actuales y es un homenaje a los 80's: colores brillantes, discos de acetato, Cyndi Lauper, Nike, bueno el nombre de la pelicula es por la canción Sunny interpretada por Boney M.

El desenlace es algo sabido y esperado desde un principio, pero la transicion de todas hacia ese desenlace genera un lazo de amistad aun mas fuerte que el que ya existia. Bueno conmueve tanto que con mi corazon de piedra termine llorando, pero no te deja esa sensación de drama masoquista doloroso, te deja una sensacion honorable y feliz. La recomiendo ampliamente.
½ May 2, 2012
it's a lovely and heart-warming story about a reunion of a group of girls who used to be good friends and have been distance with each other becoz of different reasons.
i did not echo with it a lot but it is very touching and did warm my heart:)
April 27, 2012
Violent but warm and touching! so much fun to watch it with my dearest friends! seven girls went to watch a story of another seven girls! haha X] remind me of our secondary school days... it also brings out another fact: we're all aging and getting closer to death. recently there were so much bad news... i guess i don't afraid of death, but i'm not ready to face it. really wanna treasure every moment with my beloved ones. Glad that we still keep in contact, share happiness and sadness, and have fun! luckier than "Sunny"!
½ April 21, 2012
覺 3/4-己 a little bit ,學"(TM),代 3/4+??(TM)+(TM)
½ April 15, 2012
friendship forever!! Those were the days....