Sunset - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sunset Reviews

July 10, 2016
I have thoroughly enjoyed this movie every time I have seen it!
½ May 18, 2015
Sunset, for all intents and purposes, was not a hit film when it was released. A lot of this was due to how uneven the tone of the film is and what it's actually trying to do. Before I ever saw the movie, I just thought it was a straight-up comedy film about moviemaking. But when I saw it for the first time, it left me with the distinct impression that it wanted to do a lot of different things, and not just comedy. However, the charm of Bruce Willis and James Garner, along with the beautiful photography and set designs, make this one a winner for me. Willis and Garner seem to have a little chemistry between them as well. So the film isn't a total failure to me. I think it has a lot to offer and is probably worth a re-examination by modern audiences. After all, they see uneven movies constantly now.
April 25, 2015
Bruce Willis plays Tom Mix, an early star actor of westerns, and James Garner plays Wyatt Earp, who is advising Mix in a movie about Wyatt Earp. They get involved in solving a real life Hollywood murder mystery. A great story about the merging and mixing of eras. Malcolm McDowell is the villain, and also with Muriel Hemingway.
½ February 6, 2015
Written and directed by Blake Edwards, who had faced studio interference with A Fine Mess (1986) and had problems with Hollywood unions on That's Life! (1986), but he suddently had a small hit with Blind Date (1987), which he found a new star in Bruce Willis who was about to hit it big, so Edwards struck while the iron was hot with this one. While it is a love letter to Hollywood of the 1920's, it's very hit and miss. In 1929, Hollywood is in a transition with moving from silent films to talkies. Studio head Alfie Alperin (Malcolm McDowell) is about to start production on a great western about the life of Wyatt Earp, with cowboy star Tom Mix (Willis) up for the role of Earp. To help with the production, the real Wyatt Earp (James Garner) is employed to help as technical advisor. However, as shooting gets underway, Mix and Earp get caught up in a murder mystery, with Earp's former girlfriend Christina (Patricia Hodge), who is now married to Alperin, caught up as a suspect in the investigation, but Earp deducts something isn't right, and he's correct when more deaths occur. It could have been a great old fashioned buddy movie, but the action seems half-hearted and so does the comedy, you get the impression that Edwards was dialing this one in while he was waiting for a better project to come along. Willis need not have worried, he was about to release a little action film called Die Hard...
April 18, 2014
I Like Bruce Willis.
½ June 16, 2012
in "sunset", things just seem to happen, rather than letting the characters push the story forward. there are some good moments here, but what's really missing is blake edwards' sense of humor.
½ June 9, 2012
I thought this was kind of a hoot, actually. It's not deep or anything, it's basically just a vehicle for James Garner and Bruce Willis to be the characters they do best. Oh, and it's got some beautiful cars in it!
November 2, 2011
Obviously rented this because Mr Willis is in it but it's quite.....boring. The story never seems settled, characters don't really suit their roles....and it goes for way too long.
July 2, 2011
Charming and eventful film. Garner as Earp and Willis as the man playing Earp. I expected some bickering and stuff but they got along just fine, especially when they band together to solve a murder.
June 9, 2011
"Meurtre Hollywood"
March 15, 2011
A good surprise!

1 of the movies of my hero I never saw before 2 days ago.
Talking of Richard Bradford of course.
;) XD
Or maybe more B.W.
I didn't know anything about this film he made the year of my favorite of all the times, Die Hard, 1st of the name; but I thought it was average, like some of his 1st movies I saw.
And no, it's really funny, interesting, original... From Blake Edwards, it'd've been surprising if it wasn't funny at all.

I don't like the things of those times, the cars, clothes, styles... but, if I prefer westerns in other sets and a bit older times, it was interesting to see a real western mixed with a buddy movie and cop-comedy.
Another movie happening in those times I loved although all is Changeling, of the great Eastwood.

Lol at how the Oscars' ceremony was.
:D
And I didn't see coming the reference to Chaplin, through the character of Alfie Alperin. After you see that, you realize that Alfie Alperin sounds like Charlie Chaplin.
But so, considering the dangerous psychopath he is, I couldn't see a parallel with the great Charlot, till he put a moustache looking like Charlie's one, and a big hat, and is introduced as the Hobo (the Tramp being Chaplin's main character as you know) and make a short sketch with some funny moves and stunts in the Chaplin's style.
½ December 5, 2010
One of the biggest piles of turd to come out of the States during the 80s. Willis was lucky he had a career intact after this bore.
½ July 27, 2010
Curieux objet conceptuel que ce film de Blake Edwards, sorte de prototype de comedie experimentale ou le faux (decor/surjeu/ intrigue...) et les figures de style (mise en abyme entre autres) font son charme.
May 5, 2010
Interesting premise of two western legends teaming up during the 1929 first Academy Award Show turns into amazingly boring murder mystery. Directed by tired old Blake Edwards and edited by someone who should have retired in the sixties.
½ April 25, 2010
Re-watched this last night with my dad. We used to watch this film over and over when I was younger and although I never remember it being great I always used to enjoy it. It's still fun and the film has a great period detail look to it. Bruce Willis wasn't yet the big star he would become (although he would do 'Die Hard' that year) but had worked with Blake Edwards on 'Blind Date' and brings a lot of his Moonlighting charm to the role of real life cowboy star Tom Mix. However James Garner is the star here and steals the film from Willis. He would do the same again in a few years in 'Maverick' with Mel Gibson. This is probably one of the first hollywood villains Malcolm McDowell played and is loosely based on Chaplin. The whole thing is a lot of fun and an innocent way to spend a couple of hours. And remember, it's all true...give or take a lie or two.
March 24, 2010
A very entertaining "Who-Done-it". Bruce Willis and James Garner make a great team. Malcom McDowell plays the villain to a "T".
December 14, 2009
One thing...this movie's star wasn't even born in 1927, supposedly when this film came out.
May 6, 2009
this movies wishes it was sunshine
shesdownbytheriver
March 28, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
January 8, 2009
Zabawny, ale jednak nudnawy. Jest Bruce.