Sunset (Napszállta) Reviews

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Jul 20, 2019

The movie is designed to be infuriatingly enigmatic (i.e.the main character clearly has an arc, but we're never directly told what changes about her) and while I understand criticisms of that choice I don't believe that it undermines the compelling narrative or direction.If anything, its a movie that demands further study rather than just superficial examination.

• May 18, 2019

I'm a bit flummoxed by every review. Is it really possible that no one realized the movie is an allegory? Watch the theatrical trailer - the clearest lines are in it.

• May 12, 2019

Don't ask me what this movie is about. I still don't know, maybe something leading up to world war 1.

• May 10, 2019

This movie is extremely intriguing and, like a good theatre play, leaves a lot for the mind to fill in. You truly feel that you're a part of that era as the operator takes you between locations.

• May 06, 2019

I love Independent films, but definitely not this one. This is a dark directionless 2.5 hour film. The film has no depth,understanding or conclusion.

• Apr 23, 2019

It is hilarious to see critics bathe in their own pee over US -- a "mood piece" that they admit is disjointed and incohesive; then slam this gorgeous, compelling and unique view of history. Just proves that WOMEN still don't get the breaks that men -- even Black men -- are afforded.

• Apr 16, 2019

If I could give this movie zero stars I would. One of the 10 worst movies I've ever seen. I still don't know what it was about. The lead actress spends the entire movie with a hang-dog look. Would it have killed her to at least crack even a small grin? Horrible. Awful. Painful to watch.

• Mar 01, 2019

Sunset is a very unique film in most its aspects, and I feel a lot of its mistakes come from trying too hard to be something different. It's not easy to follow and especially hard to understand what is it trying to say. But the caotic way it tries to tell its story (even with its exceptional visuals) paints a very good picture about the repressed emotions of the people who lived in that time; and how it lead to the catastrophe we know as the great war.