Sunshine State - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sunshine State Reviews

½ September 22, 2015
This is a film that is filmed on Amelia Island. It looks at the community of Amelia Island. I found the movie rather boring. This film lacks the action. I found it more interesting finding where things are filmed around Amelia Island.

This movie is about being endangered, times have changed, and things being not like they used to be.

Shares some characteristics to the Island but the names have changed.
½ June 16, 2015
Not one of Sayle's better efforts.Long and drawn out but well acted.Boy could they have sliced a bit of time off and picked up the pace.
½ March 12, 2015
A film about what might have been with a great ensemble cast. I loved the chorus of the old guys playing golf.
April 23, 2013
A1. Alan King monologues priceless.
October 30, 2012
John Sayles' component film is a disappointment only because we expect so much more from him. A good film on the pressures of community and the price that individuals are willing to pay to "sell out". Nonethless, we expect more.
½ December 24, 2011
Multiple inter-related story lines, about values and the cost of progress
August 31, 2011
It was a bit long, bit I thought it was mostly engaging. It had interesting messages about gentrification, race, and the thing everyday things that people go through in life. The dialogue is a little bit theatrical and quirky which I would expect from John sayles. Edie Falco is the stand out performer (when is she not?) and Angela Bassett and Jane Alexander have nice turns here as well. It feels timely in terms of it's themes of buying out small towns so people can develop properties, but now nearly ten years later many people can't pay their mortgages on those new and exciting properties.
October 14, 2010
Great Story, Great Acting, Too Long. Classic
October 4, 2010
The description was interesting but the actual movie was boring! After wanting to turn it off a couple times, I finally did
March 4, 2010
slow, long, nothing much to it
½ February 16, 2010
John Sayles makes warm movies about people. If we should be able to understand the story with the sound off then it's safe to say the story here is about people in their place, their environment, moving in and out of various settings, observing, talking, reflecting, acting out their courses of action. Sayles makes talking pictures so to grasp his story fully we need to hear what the people are saying, for like a good book the details of the pasts and the intentions add many layers. This one is about familiar Sayles themes of land development, crime, small business and big, and above all, community, and the links between people at various stations within their community, and the motivations that drive them. Interconnectedness, and our value on the land, how we value the land we live on, and how the land shapes people's drives. In some ways Sunshine State is a preparation for Silver City, a sprawling cross-section of people's lives and the threads that tie it all together. The two films work well together. Both contain their amusments and more serious tones, but in some ways Sunshine State is the more evocative, the warmer film, more interested perhaps in basking in how well we seem to go with our natural surroundings when we allow ourselves to fit in with nature, instead of subjugating it. To be conscientious gardners who inhabit the garden. Lovely lovely stuff.
½ September 16, 2009
A funny but true portrait of Florida warts and all. After seeing the movie you will want to visit Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach & American Beach. An excellent indie flix with an all-star lineup! Good luck finding a copy to watch or purchase!
February 6, 2009
i was expecting more but... at the end is ok. not enough but ok.
November 26, 2008
Not as exciting as I thought it would be.
November 18, 2008
Sayles bounces between dramatic weight and satirical comedy so eligantly building in politics to every conversation and story strand. The film proves Sayles ability as a writer; particularly the parts of Edie Falco and Angela Bassett, who together with the performaces, show a real intelligence, respect and subtlety to female characters that is so hard to find with male writers and directors. But what is often so overlooked is Sayles' ability as a director, and it is his refusal to make the film traditionally cinematic that helps ever small and insignificant moment take on extra weight and poignancy.
September 19, 2008
A long movie - about two families in a Florida neighbourhood. The story includes a little of everything - family, greed, bias, expectations, suicide, fidelity, unplanned pregnancy, etc. etc. I enjoyed it - almost have to watch it again to recall all the stories.
August 3, 2008
Long movie, but had good performances by the whole cast.
½ June 27, 2008
Not the best John Sayles outing, but does have its moments.
June 27, 2008
Good performances and dialogue from the actors. This one deals with the issues of those who have left the regions where they were raised and those who aim to preserve those places from an onslaught of superficial development. Good multiple stories that unfortunately do not really connect with one another. Good light-hearted approach by director John Sayles where the characters are more human faced with decisions and choices.