Sunshine State - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sunshine State Reviews

June 12, 2008
Very insightful and great to see real people depicted on film.
June 4, 2008
Can a movie be pleasingly soporific ? If so, this is a case in point. Despite lapsing occasionally into didacticism, it possesses a slow-burn eloquence and grace. An elegy to fading aspirations and fading communities.
May 26, 2008
What a heap of crap. I rented this because i'm riveted with my latest carl hiaasen novel and it was the closest florida land acquisition drama (i can't believe it's considered a COMEDY drama in the description) i could find. Terribly dull. Total snoozer. Quit watching 2/3 through. I'm giving this NO stars.
½ April 14, 2008
John Sayles "Sunshine State" takes an interesting approach on race. Rather than engaging racism as violently as most films tend to, "Sunshine State" is grounded in today's reality. The film shows two middle class communities who are threatened by land buyers looking to buy out their land for commercial industry. The film ignores violence in favor of some hometown love. "Sunshine State" represents the little man, small businesses and communities against the commercial industry. There are many characters throughout the film, and many stories that don't weave together, but combines to work together as a whole. The film is chock full of interesting dialogue, ranging from the funny to emotional. Some of the dialogue isn't for everyone, the film tries to do a little bit of everything and loses points for it, but I guarantee there is something for everyone to enjoy in "Sunshine State".
March 24, 2008
Depressing, but this is your average America with people struggling to be something more than numbers.
½ March 22, 2008
I like these kind of movies with multiple stories. In this one though the pieces of the stories weren't put together as nicely as in many other movies of this kind. Still, an important film describing the conflict between developers and local people, the nature and the past, and how it is to have roots.
February 28, 2008
The Sunshine State is an OK film, but a let down when the cast is considered. I wanted to see it because of Edie Falco especially, but it was a waste of her talent.

There was a point to it, but the whole film was belabored, it was drawn out, it's not something I'd run out and rent if I were you.
½ February 24, 2008
Filmed in my hometown, Amelia Island and focuses on a very imprtant issue there and in many beautiful, ecologically rich areas: Over-development.
February 10, 2008
I Only Watched A Little Bit Because I Fell Asleep Lol But I Would've Liked To Watch The Rest Hehe
½ February 9, 2008
A little slow, but funny and very insightful if you give it time.
½ January 27, 2008
This is how much I like John Sayles: I will willingly watch--twice--what pretty much boils down to an essay on the history of Florida real estate. The moral: don't try to boil down a John Sayles movie.
½ January 24, 2008
uneven, but Sayles has a way of maintaining interest regardless
January 22, 2008
This exceptional ensemble film is far and away the best cinematic portrayal of my home state I have ever seen.
December 31, 2007
More than interesting character driven story about a small Florida community facing the threat of losing their community to seafront developments. The film starts in a swirl about the threat the planning proposals pose to the locals, presenting a fairly even handed micro discussion about the implications these sorts of developments have. As the characters are gradually introduced the focus of the story moves towards the people of the community and its potential break-up. I felt there was an underlying inevitability that seemed to seep from a lot of the characters and their stories, reflecting the development discussion and the course that was taking. Very good.
December 23, 2007
Don't remember a thing about it.
December 17, 2007
Really interesting and immensely watchable film that noone's ever heard of.
December 17, 2007
Well acted and written. It's Sayle's best work, but it's passable.
December 9, 2007
Edie Falco leads an impressive cast and John Sayles always gives you something to think about after the movie is over.
½ December 8, 2007
Thoughtful, great characters, drags along at a snail's pace.
November 22, 2007