Super - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Super Reviews

September 29, 2016
Better than Kick-Ass.
September 11, 2016
A heartfelt and brilliant take on Kick-Ass. A surprisingly emotional and complex film.
September 10, 2016
Such a fun movie with a great cast and lots of action. Hilarious.
September 1, 2016
Super is a movie I enjoyed. Even though I enjoyed it I know it's a hard movie to recommend. It's a (no pun intended) super dark comedy. It's funny and has grat visual style and very funny moments. But there is incredibly graphic violence and can feel like the tone is all over the place. I can get past it though because I love James Gunn. I love Slither which was a horror comedy and Gaurdians of the Galaxy. To think Marvel said "Hey, let's get the guy that made a movie where Ellen Page rapes Rainn Wilson to direct our new Disney Marvel movie". This movie is very unappologetic and I love that it wasn't afraid to be ugly and gross while also being pretty funny. Nathan Fillian plays "The Holy Avenger" which is just a wonderful parody of Bibleman. I loved it. Rainn Wilson is very uncomfortable but that was the character he was playing and honestly it was fine that he was. They show he is obviously mentally unstable and very odd. I feel most poeple wouldn't want to sit through a whole movie with a very socially awkward and uncomfortable character. I have been looking forward to this ever since it was announced but I never got to watch it. It reminded me of Kick Ass but I feel that movie is easier to recommend than this. But if you're interested in seeing it I'd say check it out.
August 17, 2016
I don't very much care what the general consensus for this movie happens to be, I thought it was fantastic. Rainn Wilson has a gift for making the oddest of characters quite likeable and deserving of empathy. I don't know if the movie would have resonated as much if it wasn't for him, but either way I really liked this movie and would recommend giving it a chance if you're on the fence.
July 29, 2016
A bit too violent for me.
½ July 18, 2016
Disturbing in parts but a great laugh throughout.
July 17, 2016
Super is one of my favorite movies of all time for how it defies standards set by other superhero movies to create moments that can be genuinely funny, endearing, and depressing. The movie is not afraid to go places that would be absolutely out of the question in your average hollywood movie and it doesn't just do it for shock value. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who doesn't really like Marvel movies and anyone who enjoys a good black comedy.
June 18, 2016
Super provides an interesting new take on superhero movies (primarily through its addition of humor) and makes for an enjoyable watch, but its extremity takes away from what you're supposed to get out of it.
June 11, 2016
More bloodier and funny than "Kick-Ass".
June 7, 2016
This is everything that the typical blockbuster superhero movie is not: realistic, dark, gory, funny, emotional and morally ambiguous. Which is why I loved it and why, I suppose, it has only lukewarm reviews and ratings. Everything that drives me crazy in a typical superhero or action movie is addressed in a brilliant and subversively hilarious way. Why do heroes always turn the other cheek and refuse to beat the crap out of or even kill the villains? Wouldn't a gun trump a wrench? If somebody is wearing a bulletproof vest, why not just shoot them in the face? Isn't it obvious who the costumed hero really is? If you wanted to be a superhero, wouldn't it be hard to find crime, harder to know who had actually done what, and harder yet to stop it? And if the bad guys had guns, wouldn't the superhero have to go get some, too? This movie is perfection, and I love it. The fact that so many people seem to dislike it -- too violent, too weird, too different from "Star Wars" or "The Avengers" -- just makes me love it all the more.
June 4, 2016
James Gunn's Super is a really unique film. Instead of trying to be anything even resembling a traditional superhero film, Super lowballs the genre and goes for the hyper realistic approach with a non-linear, non-traditional storyline that barely functions. The goal seems to be to examine some of the psychology behind not only our desire to be a hero but our desires to make challenging situations work for us in order to fit into societal molds. Gunn uses the failed marriage and mediocre life of his main star as this challenge, although the results are varied. Despite the cover of the non-traditional storyline and filming style, Super is still a bumpy ride. Slow to start and downright uncomfortable at times, Super hovers on the line of indecency several times. The tone isn't always clear and certain points prompt the viewer to ask about the necessity of the scene. Cinematography and soundtrack are purely average when both of these need to rise above in this type of film. However, Super shines in its ending, where most of the emotional heavy lifting occurs. It's a decent film and an interesting premise but the viewer is left to wonder if a short film wouldn't have been a more entertaining and tolerable option. Ultimately, Kick-Ass, released a year prior, manages to blend most of Super's themes with an entertaining and coherent backstory, proving to be the better and senior of the two offerings.
½ June 3, 2016
James Gunn has never let me down before, so I wasn't surprised that I enjoyed Super. In terms of tone, it sits somewhere a little bit darker than Kick-Ass, but a little bit lighter than Defendor (both of which were also great movies).
May 31, 2016
A compelling character piece, following along the lines of Taxi Driver, that uses its "super hero premise" as a small tool in constructing a narrative, instead of parodying it.
May 8, 2016
Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page bring psychotic fun in this James Gunn flick which dives deep in what is supposed to be a fun-comedic flick turns into a blood bath. A great character driven story by James Gunn.
½ April 27, 2016
James Gunn really seems to understand genres and how to pay homage to them. Sandwiched in between campy horror B movie Slither and sci-fi/fantasy space opera Guardians of the Galaxy is Super, in which Gunn tackles the comic book superhero genre with a dark sense of humor. The result is a balls-to-the-wall insane action flick with a surprising amount of heart. The tone might be all over the place, but the film manages to pack a lot of impact into each scene. There's scenes full of back-to-back, gut-busting jokes, often based around the film's gory and ultra-violent action sequences, and only a few scenes later there's a scene that is truly and honestly heartbreaking. It's a strange form of storytelling, but Gunn's screenplay makes it work. Rainn Wilson supplies most of the heart and charm of this one, lending his signature deadbeat humor into a role that is absolutely perfect for his personality. Alongside him is Ellen Page, who plays the foul-mouthed and perhaps partially psychotic Boltie to Wilson's Crimson Bolt. Page goes completely over-the-top for her role, allowing her to supply a constant stream of laugh-inducing moments. The banter between the two and their relationship is easily the film's strongest aspect. If Slither introduced James Gunn as a Hollywood director, Super completely solidified his position.
April 19, 2016
"Super" es otra película más sobre personas con problemas mentales o emocionales que deciden convertirse en superhéroes. Piensen en "Super" como una cinta intermedia entre la gran "Kick-Ass" y la irregular "Defendor". Es la historia de un hombre (Rainn Wilson) quien es abandonado por su esposa ex-drogadicta (Liv Tyler) e inspirado en lo que ve por la televisión y en los cómics, decide convertirse en un héroe enmascarado. La ultraviolencia de la película y la falta de construcción de personajes, hace que el espectador se sienta confundido y no sepa si reír o sentir miedo. Piensen en "Super" como si Travis Bickle de "Taxi Driver" se convirtiera en superhéroe y en vez de andar con un revolver y preguntarle al mundo "Are you talking to me?" anduviera con una llave inglesa y le gritara al mundo "Shut Up Crime!".
½ April 18, 2016
This strange film is about a mild-mannered guy who decides to become a real-life super hero. At times it really seems like Super is shooting for a realistic look at what would happen if someone in the real world tried to fight crime with a mask on, but then we see a strange sequence where God peels his scalp off or we see "Pow" and "Wam" on the screen like the classic Batman TV show. Sometimes I was cracking up because the humor was awesome, and then other moments it just took everything too far and I was cringing rather than laughing. Rainn Wilson is the ideal actor to play the dopey character, Frank, who finds his courage when he puts on a mask. Ellen Page is hilarious as the comic book obsessed girl who desperately wants to be involved, but can't control herself when she is included. Kevin Bacon is brilliant as the evil drug dealer who steals Frank's wife. Unfortunately, Liv Tyler is kind of flat as the wife in question. Her facial expressions lack the subtlety needed for this role. I could never tell where her emotions were leading her based on those vacant expressions. There were moments of brilliance in Super and I can see some of James Gunn's comedic roots (that led to Guardians of the Galaxy) starting here. Some people will probably laugh almost the entire way through this movie, and appreciate the extremes to which it goes. I can recognize the quality of the film, but I just don't think it was quite made for me.
April 16, 2016
Watched this on 16/4/16
It's unfair to call a movie bad just because it has violence in it, if you can't stand violence, then just don't fucking watch it. Overlooked and underratred upon release, its relevance has only increased in a time where theatres are plauged with superhero movies month after month. Its satire is terrific, there is ample fun and Rainn Wilson's central performance as the stupid hero is both warm and whimsical. Fuck deadpool, this is the thing, this is the best when it comes to violent fun.
½ April 12, 2016
Super is a fun take on superheroes bringing Rainn Wilson to the streets to fight crime. Some over the top action and interesting visuals keep the movie interesting.