Super - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Super Reviews

March 14, 2017
Perfectly disturbing anti-hero black comedy. The tone was all over the place and the characters were bizarre, but it was very interesting and morbidly entertaining. I'm not sure what to make of it...definitely a movie that takes a while to digest.
March 14, 2017
Rainn Wilson is amazing so I have no doubt this movie will be too
February 23, 2017
How does this movie have bad reviews? I love this movie! It's basically Kick-Ass on steroids. See this if you like Rainn Wilson, dark comedies, or violence. Looking back, I think this movie was made specifically for me.
February 20, 2017
Working pretty well as a sympathetic character study centered on a righteous man who believes he is on a divine mission from God, this inspired movie is like a sassy brother of Kick-Ass: oddly funny, amusing and making no concessions regarding its amount of violence.
February 17, 2017
Solid black comedy elements, and a refreshing take on the superhero genre.
½ January 29, 2017
The violence isn't excessive. It's just not neutered or censored. If an unbalanced guy became a 'super' hero and tried to take on a bunch of heavily armed drug dealers, this is exactly what would happen. Frank is a 'good guy with a gun', and not only the 'bad' people pay the price. But even if his methods are misguided, his unwavering moral compass is somewhat admirable, though it could do with a bit of nuance. Gunn, Wilson and Page are on fire.
January 13, 2017
Boring with only hints of humor in it.
½ October 22, 2016
It's alright. I think that James Gunn needs to be hindered by a studio to reach his full potential.
September 29, 2016
Better than Kick-Ass.
September 11, 2016
A heartfelt and brilliant take on Kick-Ass. A surprisingly emotional and complex film.
September 10, 2016
Such a fun movie with a great cast and lots of action. Hilarious.
September 1, 2016
Super is a movie I enjoyed. Even though I enjoyed it I know it's a hard movie to recommend. It's a (no pun intended) super dark comedy. It's funny and has grat visual style and very funny moments. But there is incredibly graphic violence and can feel like the tone is all over the place. I can get past it though because I love James Gunn. I love Slither which was a horror comedy and Gaurdians of the Galaxy. To think Marvel said "Hey, let's get the guy that made a movie where Ellen Page rapes Rainn Wilson to direct our new Disney Marvel movie". This movie is very unappologetic and I love that it wasn't afraid to be ugly and gross while also being pretty funny. Nathan Fillian plays "The Holy Avenger" which is just a wonderful parody of Bibleman. I loved it. Rainn Wilson is very uncomfortable but that was the character he was playing and honestly it was fine that he was. They show he is obviously mentally unstable and very odd. I feel most poeple wouldn't want to sit through a whole movie with a very socially awkward and uncomfortable character. I have been looking forward to this ever since it was announced but I never got to watch it. It reminded me of Kick Ass but I feel that movie is easier to recommend than this. But if you're interested in seeing it I'd say check it out.
August 17, 2016
I don't very much care what the general consensus for this movie happens to be, I thought it was fantastic. Rainn Wilson has a gift for making the oddest of characters quite likeable and deserving of empathy. I don't know if the movie would have resonated as much if it wasn't for him, but either way I really liked this movie and would recommend giving it a chance if you're on the fence.
July 29, 2016
A bit too violent for me.
½ July 18, 2016
Disturbing in parts but a great laugh throughout.
July 17, 2016
Super is one of my favorite movies of all time for how it defies standards set by other superhero movies to create moments that can be genuinely funny, endearing, and depressing. The movie is not afraid to go places that would be absolutely out of the question in your average hollywood movie and it doesn't just do it for shock value. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who doesn't really like Marvel movies and anyone who enjoys a good black comedy.
June 18, 2016
Super provides an interesting new take on superhero movies (primarily through its addition of humor) and makes for an enjoyable watch, but its extremity takes away from what you're supposed to get out of it.
June 11, 2016
More bloodier and funny than "Kick-Ass".
June 7, 2016
This is everything that the typical blockbuster superhero movie is not: realistic, dark, gory, funny, emotional and morally ambiguous. Which is why I loved it and why, I suppose, it has only lukewarm reviews and ratings. Everything that drives me crazy in a typical superhero or action movie is addressed in a brilliant and subversively hilarious way. Why do heroes always turn the other cheek and refuse to beat the crap out of or even kill the villains? Wouldn't a gun trump a wrench? If somebody is wearing a bulletproof vest, why not just shoot them in the face? Isn't it obvious who the costumed hero really is? If you wanted to be a superhero, wouldn't it be hard to find crime, harder to know who had actually done what, and harder yet to stop it? And if the bad guys had guns, wouldn't the superhero have to go get some, too? This movie is perfection, and I love it. The fact that so many people seem to dislike it -- too violent, too weird, too different from "Star Wars" or "The Avengers" -- just makes me love it all the more.
June 4, 2016
James Gunn's Super is a really unique film. Instead of trying to be anything even resembling a traditional superhero film, Super lowballs the genre and goes for the hyper realistic approach with a non-linear, non-traditional storyline that barely functions. The goal seems to be to examine some of the psychology behind not only our desire to be a hero but our desires to make challenging situations work for us in order to fit into societal molds. Gunn uses the failed marriage and mediocre life of his main star as this challenge, although the results are varied. Despite the cover of the non-traditional storyline and filming style, Super is still a bumpy ride. Slow to start and downright uncomfortable at times, Super hovers on the line of indecency several times. The tone isn't always clear and certain points prompt the viewer to ask about the necessity of the scene. Cinematography and soundtrack are purely average when both of these need to rise above in this type of film. However, Super shines in its ending, where most of the emotional heavy lifting occurs. It's a decent film and an interesting premise but the viewer is left to wonder if a short film wouldn't have been a more entertaining and tolerable option. Ultimately, Kick-Ass, released a year prior, manages to blend most of Super's themes with an entertaining and coherent backstory, proving to be the better and senior of the two offerings.