Super - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Super Reviews

December 10, 2017
This meditation on pop culture, violence, and mental illness was not what I signed up for, and it's certainly no date night movie. It's not unimportant, though. It made me wonder what kind of fan mail James Gunn must be getting.
November 24, 2017
I've never been a fan of Rainn Wilson, and this film didn't change my feelings all that much. In the same vein as "Kick Ass", although not as nearly as entertaining, it's on the mean spirited side of things. The humour is very dark, when it works, and Ellen Page kind of saves the day with her light-hearted performance as "Boltie". The direction and script are all over the place and there's about 15 or 20 minutes near the end of the film that really ratchets up the level of violence. This is NOT a family feature.
November 18, 2017
This is one of the best movies I've seen dealing with addiction. Also in dealing with violence and the idea of Bad vs. good in the world. A truly original voice and original movie. Brilliant. I loved it. I bought it. I just hope he makes more films like this in between his blockbusters.
½ November 2, 2017
This movie, may not be for everybody, as other reviews let see, mainly because of its hard violent stille and its dark humor, but i can tell, for me, this movie is very interesting from beginning to end, it has a good rhythm and a deep reflexion, with a character that is compelling and likeable, aside from a couple of strange moments on one of the characters arcs, it has a great message told in a very entertaining way. on summary i can tell that i don't know if i would recommend this to people but a i can tell that i'm gonna see it again.
½ September 16, 2017
Questo film ha segnato la mia infanzia pre-adolescenziale,per questo forse questa valutazione non sarÓ affatto imparziale. Penso che il dark humor e il senso di impotenza del protagonista sono ben riusciti in gran parte della sua durata.
Riesce a dare un'inspiegabile misto di emozioni, Ŕ deprimente, commovente e a tratti comico.
½ September 3, 2017
All throughout "Super," I wasn't sure whether I should be dying with laughter or cringing in disgust. James Gunn's superhero dark comedy is like a mean-spirited, offensive, and unredeeming version of "Kick-Ass."
August 23, 2017
Terrible superhero movie starring the guy from the office, Ellen page, Kevin bacon and the girl from lord of the rings. I hated this movie directed by the same guy who directed guardians of the galaxy, James Gunn. Their was so much potential for this movie but in the end it was a forgettable superhero movie. I would forget this movie in t minis 10 seconds, already forgot about it.
June 28, 2017
inteligent, weird and gore
½ June 8, 2017
This movie is just annoying. Only two actors stud out and they were Ellen and Kevin.
May 8, 2017
My excitement turns into a horrified shock over the course of every viewing I have of "Super," but each time I still find myself eager for what's to come. Rainn Wilson is excellent and the supporting cast keeps up really well. And I really think this is the superhero film that highlights James Gunn's talents for the genre, despite how the box office numbers compare to his big-budget space movie outtings. The soundtrack is fantastic, and the comic book visual effects contrast the usually gritty look in a wonderfully twisted fashion.
March 14, 2017
Perfectly disturbing anti-hero black comedy. The tone was all over the place and the characters were bizarre, but it was very interesting and morbidly entertaining. I'm not sure what to make of it...definitely a movie that takes a while to digest.
March 14, 2017
Rainn Wilson is amazing so I have no doubt this movie will be too
February 23, 2017
How does this movie have bad reviews? I love this movie! It's basically Kick-Ass on steroids. See this if you like Rainn Wilson, dark comedies, or violence. Looking back, I think this movie was made specifically for me.
February 20, 2017
Working pretty well as a sympathetic character study centered on a righteous man who believes he is on a divine mission from God, this inspired movie is like a sassy brother of Kick-Ass: oddly funny, amusing and making no concessions regarding its amount of violence.
February 17, 2017
Solid black comedy elements, and a refreshing take on the superhero genre.
½ January 29, 2017
The violence isn't excessive. It's just not neutered or censored. If an unbalanced guy became a 'super' hero and tried to take on a bunch of heavily armed drug dealers, this is exactly what would happen. Frank is a 'good guy with a gun', and not only the 'bad' people pay the price. But even if his methods are misguided, his unwavering moral compass is somewhat admirable, though it could do with a bit of nuance. Gunn, Wilson and Page are on fire.
January 13, 2017
Boring with only hints of humor in it.
½ October 22, 2016
It's alright. I think that James Gunn needs to be hindered by a studio to reach his full potential.
September 29, 2016
Better than Kick-Ass.
September 11, 2016
A heartfelt and brilliant take on Kick-Ass. A surprisingly emotional and complex film.