Super Reviews

• Mar 12, 2020

It was hard trying to choose a rating for this movie. I wanted to go with 4.5 - 5 stars but I felt like I was wrong to do so. Because I love the movie but I know it has flaws, flaws that will make people dislike the movie. I genuinely believe that Super is a great film that is the MOST realistic depiction of a superhero. I enjoy movies like Kickass and I even think that Kickass is a far better movie than Super. But Super is just far more realistic. The plot reflects that realism, it's very down to earth with its themes of drug use and leaving spouses. Granted it's not everyday there's an international drug dealer in a little middle American town but superheroes also don't exist so... I agree that a lot of the characters aren't very developed. Sarah, whilst we learn of her struggles and she has a few conversations with Frank, we never really get to know her, she's just a person that makes bad choices. Libby is a kind of interesting character, her role intrigues me but there isn't much depth to her, she's 22, I think? But acts like a 12 year old, which makes the sexual stuff the more uncomfortable. Jacques is a borderline 2-dimensional villain, we get that he's this evil drug dealer who's a prick and has a heartless love for Sarah but again, we don't learn anything about him. Now that I've gotten my main gripes with the film out of the way, let's talk about the good stuff. Frank. Frank is great. He is the epitome of being fucked over. His whole life he is fucked over. His own wife doesn't actually love him, she thought she fell in love with him by having personal conversations about her drug and alcohol addictions but that proves to be hollow. Frank is stuck at a dead end job and has no prospects, all he has is god, he is as simple as it gets. I don't think the movie works as a dark comedy but I have no clue what else to call it. There's amusing moments but overall, it's a spectacle. All of the heart wrenching moments come from Frank and they hit hard. I'm not sure if I'm an idiot but the twist in the epilogue of the movie that Frank isn't the main character is just amazing. I love it. It's so real. The movie builds up that Frank is the chosen one and that his life will go to new and exciting places, the underdog that gets rewarded essentially. But instead the movie knows how fucked up it is. How it can't make a happy resolution for Frank. Frank even calls himself out as insane, which seems like a fair comment to make. It's a very bittersweet ending, as we're left with Frank at square one, before Sarah but he has also grown and now has people in his life that care for him. Libby's death was sudden and I was surprised that it got such a strong reaction out of me, it was unexpected and brutal. I think that her death is really well done when Frank is left pondering what could've been with her. A quick thing about the gore in the film, it's a bit excessive but sometimes it's warranted. For example, Frank's wrench, the damage it does is pretty colourful to say the least but what do you expect from a hunk of weighty metal? Overall, Super is a pretty realistic superhero movie that'll tug at your heartstrings if you invest yourself in it. It is not without its flaws but if you can look past that you'll find an enjoyable film.

• Feb 02, 2020

Don't listen to the critics. This movie is entertaining.

Don't listen to the critics. This movie is entertaining.

• Jan 30, 2020

Rainn Wilson starring as a superhero gave me hope and excitement, but in the end was a letdown with a poor choice of sidekick and storyline involving romance that does not end in favor of the superhero.

• Jan 12, 2020

One of the best superhero movies of the decade. Simply, the best superhero film not based on comic books. It's funny, violent and action packed, dramatic and impressively entertaining. It's frickin' awesome! Go see it!

• Jan 06, 2020

This is a Hidden Gem And I understand it is underrated. The Core is very strong, it got "HEART". I'm so glad for those who could enjoyed this although we are the minority here. James Gunn is awesome

• Dec 27, 2019

Funny film that shows you a superhero in real life

Funny film that shows you a superhero in real life

• Dec 26, 2019

Somehow a movie I didn't hear of until 2019. Opening credits animation is cool, but went on too long. Gets dark (and stays dark) quick. Ellen Page vacillates between endearing to annoying every other scene. Probably not the best message, but definitely entertaining and worth the watch. Thought there was going to be a police presence after the detective gets killed. The Kick-Ass similarities cannot be ignored, even more so considering this film came out the year after. Not sure how I feel about the ending, but definitely didn't dislike it.

• Nov 06, 2019

An underrated piece of cinema, Apparently most of the people will pass on this movie just because of the gore but this is so much more then that, this film is an hidden gem that gives you a dark and real to the bone superhero movie without any cliches and i have to say that if you dont like it... well your loss i guess, probably the same people who look for happy endings and other cliches BUT if your looking for a different superhero movie "super" is a must watch and a brilliant piece of non-cliched cinema!

• Sep 25, 2019

A strange superhero type movie, but with an independent feel to it. None of the characters are particularly likable, but I suspect that was intentional. The movie is fairly stylized.

• Sep 09, 2019

My bud and I decided to have a movie marathon one fine evening and we picked 3 movies, Kick-Ass, Blankman and Super, you can probably guess the theme. Anyway, I really liked Super. I would certify it Fresh because it really was. I tend to watch movies that direct me far away from reality such as anything MCU, Event Horizon, Star Trek NG etc and so on, gimme Sci-Fi and outlandish comedies!!! Super made me feel like I could get into the same kind of awful trouble the main protagonist and side kick did in this movie. I can relate, I know that at points in my life, I wish I could get revenge against someone who wronged me. Don't do it though, that is vigilantism and that is not legal, in the countries I have lived in at least. I have seen many comments by critics stating that the story is weak and that it doesn't tie up but the movie has a premise. The story could not work under any other premise other than the weak one that bears the foundation of this film. The premise is the reality of the situation, this is not a story about someone who got exposed to something that has given them the power to repel bullets, control others with their mind, open portals, manipulate weather or fly. Nope, this is a movie about a normal guy who lost his shit, nothing that he does is normal, the situation he is dealing with is mundane, (compared to blockbuster action movie plots), he gathers his meager resources and goes out on a quest that anyone of sound mind would stay away from. All I can say is touche James Gunn. This is one of your finest movies. You have made many btw. :D