Super 8 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Super 8 Reviews

½ July 27, 2016
Absolutely a great film, a must see for movie making fans as well as action/adventure films. The inspiration from ET and other classic Spielberg films make this film fantastic.
July 22, 2016
It did not grab my attention at all! I was expecting it to be like ET mixed with the Goonies. It kind of was but not really. The characters were either boring or annoying and I don't know which is worse. I also thought the story wasn't that interesting, because it's been done too many times. I don't see why a big amount of critics liked it. I just really don't get this movie.
½ July 20, 2016
Though it's not a Spielberg film, "Super 8" is very ambitious and delivers plenty of dazzling effects and excitement cleverly.
½ July 18, 2016
Starts so strong but...eh. lost me.

Would like to revisit it.
July 9, 2016
Good fun movie, like a modern day Goonies
June 25, 2016
This movie just gets better every time I watch it.
½ June 22, 2016
Pese a tener sus fallos, Super 8 no puede ser más divertida y entretenida. Una aventura de ciencia ficción con toques de los Goonies y ET. Para pasar un buen rato es la película indicada.
June 20, 2016
Heartfelt sci-fi movie.
June 20, 2016
There's something different in this Spielberg/Abrams collaboration. You feel captivated, but at the same time, you feel very thrilled. J.J. Abrams plays this movie out as it could've happened. The CGI in this movie is used in very few moments. Also, the cast of younger actors was a great idea because when it comes to using critically acclaimed actors, we know what to expect. It's an excellent example of using sci-fi factors, and fear at the same time. J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg should come back together, and make another thriller like Super 8.
June 12, 2016
Originally written June 10, 2011--
In 1979 Ohio, several youngsters (Elle Fanning, Joel Courtney, Gabriel Basso) are making a zombie movie with a Super-8 camera. In the midst of filming, the friends witness a horrifying train derailment and are lucky to escape with their lives. They soon discover that the catastrophe was no accident, as a series of unexplained events and disappearances soon follows. Deputy Jackson Lamb (Kyle Chandler), the father of one of the kids, searches for the terrifying truth behind the crash.

As much an homage to Steven Spielberg's "E.T." as it is to the late 1970's, this remarkable extra-terrestrial film from JJ Abrams is equal parts emotional, action-packed, and nostalgic. I loved it!
½ June 3, 2016
Super 8 is a film by JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg. The plot revolves around these kids who want to make a movie but get caught up in alien mishaps after being witnesses to a train crash. The films setting is spectacular being set in the late 70s and being a great homage to old classics like the Goonies, ET, Stand by Me, etc. The performances by the kid actors are also very good as well as having a diverse cast of different kids with notable personalities. This movie is fun and will bring out laughs and make you nostalgic about the past. Overall a 4.5
May 26, 2016
JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg must miss their childhood, because that wonderful sense of rebellious nostalgia is brought back with Super 8, for better or for worse. Oh, and lens flares. Lots of lens flares.
½ May 12, 2016
A very well-done & original cinematic brilliance from Abrams & Spielberg! I've seen it like 20-30 times & it never gets old!
May 9, 2016
Cloverfield and Goonies vibe, enjoyed it.
May 2, 2016
JJ Abrams crafts the perfect blend of a 70's kids adventure movie and a modern day sci-fi thriller. A Spielberg production that pays homage to the Spielberg films of the late 70's and early 80's.
April 26, 2016
THE FILM OF ANY SUMMER & REASONS WHY WE GO TO THE MOVIES, J.J. ABRAMS HAS DONE IT AGAIN!
Highly, highly looking forward to this!
April 22, 2016
I am shocked at how people forgot all about this so fast, I thought this was a spectacular movie to start off a summer.
April 17, 2016
Super 8 is directed by J.J Abrams and produced by Spielberg, and that is highly noticable. Super 8 is filled with lense-flair's, and ideas all from previous Spielberg movies (he either directed, produced, or exec-produced) like: Some kids find a map (Goonies) - including a fat kid who likes to eat (Goonies) - and they come up against the military which is trying to track down an alien on the loose (E.T.).
The creature has created issues for the townsfolk who express concern at a meeting with the sheriff (Jaws) and they eventually have to evacuate because of a made-up disaster (Close Encounters).
The alien, who is a really a spider (Arachnaphobia) that has been collecting items so that he can get home (E.T.), has the ability to make a psychic connection with humans (Close Encounters). One of the kids has a seemingly useless obsession that winds up helping to save the day in a climactic sequence (fireworks here and inventions in the Goonies) however the creature is much too smart to fall for such a trick (Jaws - "he's either very smart or very stupid"). An old guy, who is an expert on this creature (Jaws) winds up dying while the army shoots through the town and tanks roll (War of the Worlds). Then the characters put the story together in one long expositional scene and we are not really sure how they figured it all out (Minority Report). It seems the monster is really a misunderstood good guy (Goonies) who makes a connection with our hero (ET, Close Encounters) and then flies home (E.T), but not before a lot of missing people are returned (Close Encounters) and lots of appliances fly around (Poltergeist).

However, i didnt mind this but it does make the movie highly conventional. The kid actors were surprisingly good, the pacing is excellent, and the writing, despite unoriginal was quite good.

The thing that bugged me the most though is how ridiculous, random, and bullshit the ending is, i wont go into details, but up untill the point where havoc is about the break lose, the movie is pretty good, but the last 20 minutes or so completely fucks it up.
½ April 16, 2016