Super Size Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Super Size Me Reviews

½ July 9, 2017
Super Size Me is directed and written by Morgan Spurlock, and it stars Morgan Spurlock in a documentary about an experiment of Morgan eating fast-food for 30 days to show what the effect does to him. I remember that the high school showed the students this movie in health class, which I wish we could've seen this earlier, but whatever, school policy probably. So when I was bored and have nothing to watch after watch Spider-Man: Homecoming, I just watch this instead, and I must've forgotten about how enjoyable this documentary is. Morgan Spurlock keeps us interested in terms of how enthusiastic he is in wanting to do his experiment, and he's very funny too. He gives us lots of facts that we understand, and may even think it's shocking at times to the point of changing ways. It may be a bit too overblown at times as it's going too fast for some viewers to comprehend, but it's never boring to watch. It shows how dangerous it is for some people to keep eating fast foods constantly without exercise, and I was starting to worry about Morgan Spurlock when it's getting close to the end, despite that I've seen this before. So with Super Size Me, is a really great movie that I understand why health class uses this movie to show us about what will happen when you eat fast food constantly if you don't exercise.
May 8, 2017
DUMB!... "did you know its unhealthy to eat Mcdonalds everyday?" no fucking wAY!! i had no idea? haha
½ April 14, 2017
Neither entertaining or informative. Both the main actor and his significant other are whiney and pretentious.
March 12, 2017
A really fun film to watch, but with such absurd exaggerations it's obviously pure bullshit. It's so poignant... I mean, did you know that if you ate McDonald's three times a day every single day, its bad for you? SMH
½ March 12, 2017
Morgan Spurlock stars and directs the documentary Super Size Me! Two girls are suing the fast food chain McDonalds for making them fat. The fast food company replies by saying there is no proof that this was the leading and only cause for this issue. Spurlock decides to prove them wrong by eating McDonalds for 30 days straight, 3 meals a day.
He embarks on his journey and starts eating McDonalds 3 times a day across the country with his first meal being a mcmuffin. Within 3 days he is already vomiting from eating a supersized quarter pounder with cheese combo meal. He goes on and claims his health gets consistently worse. Doctors start begging him to stop his diet.

Supersize Me is an entertaining film that drives the point that we already know. Everyone knows that fast food isn't healthy and that eating it 3 meals a day is by no means a good idea. Even in doing this he exaggerates his results and never mentions each of his meals in a log or anything. The film still makes some good points on how fast food is advertised and forced on the American public. The man who eats only Big Macs, around twice a day was quite an interesting find. All the fatties being shown across the film and one man mentions how we cannot comment on this, but it is okay to chastise a smoker was one of the best scenes.

-3.12.2017
½ February 5, 2017
It didn't change my habits, but I found it be informative and entertaining. Morgan Spurlock did a fine job with this documentary. (First viewing - Late teen years)
January 30, 2017
SUPER SIZE ME
viewed on 19/7/04 (Mon)

Ok. I think I got an overdose of the reviews and reports of this movie. I expected every shocking result of that Mac experiment the director took on. I don't really find the movie that shockingly revealing. Blame it on the enthusiastic reviews? Ok ok I will 'rewind' my mindset and imagine what I will think before reading any review?
Right, here it is.

Rating: B+
January 2, 2017
An insteresting look into the dangers of fast-food, but its ok
½ November 28, 2016
Perhaps my favourite documentary film of all time. Definitely not as positive towards fast food after watching this.
November 19, 2016
Now I never knew an actual documentary could be funny until I saw Super Size Me.
November 17, 2016
One of the greatest films of our time. 10/10.
½ November 16, 2016
Fast-food will never be the same, sorta.
October 17, 2016
Crazy made me eat less fast food. Spurlock is bold.
October 7, 2016
A documentary on how a man survived eating McDonalds for 30 days! It truly tells you on health and how it should be handled by your choice
½ September 8, 2016
Cinema is full of food-related scenes which are guaranteed to turn one's stomach. We have La Grande Bouffe, in which rich people eat themselves to death; Peter Greenaway turning cannibalism into an art form with The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover; and the famously gross Mr. Creosote sequence from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. And then there is Super Size Me, Morgan Spurlock's appropriately queasy debut documentary. Super Size Me follows Spurlock as he attempts to survive on nothing but McDonalds for an entire month. The rules are simple: he must eat three meals a day, he can only eat what is offered at McDonalds, he must try everything on the menu at least once, and he must answer "yes" if they offer him a super-size meal. In between tackling his alarming diet, Spurlock is closely monitored by a small army of doctors, and the only exercise he undertakes is walking the same daily distance as an average American. Although it's an intensely personal, first-person documentary, the film has none of the self-obsession or navel-gazing which has dogged Michael Moore or late-period Nick Broomfield. For starters, Spurlock is a lot more likeable than either of these: we don't just enjoy his company, we get the impression that the film crew did as well. He is populist, rational and refreshingly self-effacing, in complete contrast to Moore who, in the words of Mark Kermode, seems mainly concerned with inflating his own ego. Furthermore, Spurlock is pursuing a subject matter of great importance but getting under the surface with a bigger intention than scoring political points. Where Fahrenheit 9/11 frequently went off the boil for the sake of making Moore look good, Super Size Me keeps its eyes on the prize, being reasonably thorough and comprehensive in its investigations. In one of its best moments, Spurlock gets under the skin of a spokesman from the Grocery Manufacturers Association, getting him to admit that the lobbyists which he represents are part of the problem in the State-side obesity epidemic. Like the films listed in the opening paragraph of this review, there are a number of scenes in Super Size Me which make you want to throw up. On Day 2 of the challenge, Spurlock orders a Big Mac and vomits it up in the car park. The camera looks away as he does it, but then shows the horrid yellow mess left on the tarmac. Equally disgusting are the close-ups of the food before it enters his stomach; suffice to say, it's nothing like the pictures. Worst of all, about halfway through we get to witness keyhole surgery on a gastric band operation, set to the main theme from The Blue Danube. Critics of Super Size Me have pointed to these scenes as evidence of the film's partisan approach. Their argument goes that since Spurlock didn't test other restaurants or brands of fast food, he has a particular grudge against McDonalds and is using the film as a form of propaganda. The camera's lingering on Spurlock's discomfort, or his claims about his sex life suffering, are means of manipulating people into boycotting one company, rather than exposing deeper truths about the industry as a whole. While the documentary may paint a far-from-rosy picture of McDonalds, such criticisms are unduly harsh. Spurlock makes clear from the start that this is not a clinical trial or a hard scientific experiment. He chose McDonalds for the reason that it has the most outlets across America, with the largest number of customers, and therefore would provide a more representative sample than a study of any other single chain. The evidence produced by Spurlock is pretty conclusive but not medically binding, which makes it all the more extraordinary when we discover in the epilogue that McDonalds has withdrawn its Super Size options. The documentary is very even-handed in a number of points that it makes. At one of the schools examined in the film, the students are given a presentation by Jared Fogle, who lost a large amount of weight by eating Subway sandwiches (supposedly). The crew then interview a teenage girl who admires what Fogle has done, but who cannot afford to eat Subway three times a day. The positive goals which celebrities like Fogle are setting are as unhealthily unrealistic as the impossibly airbrushed bodies of girls in magazines. In terms of self-esteem among teenagers, role models of any kind are portrayed as doing more harm than good, at least in regard to this industry. Super Size Me identifies three key areas in which there has been neglect, ignorance or cynical foul play with regards to the consumption of fast food. The first, unsurprisingly, is with McDonalds itself. Spurlock sheds light on the immense amount of money spent on advertising, which far exceeds the national budget for promoting healthy eating. The prevalence of TV advertising means that no parent, no matter how responsible, can guarantee their child isn't being poorly influenced, and individual McDonalds chains (at the time of making the film) are not displaying adequate levels of information about the nutrition content of their meals. The second area which has fallen short is the American government. More recent documentaries such as Waiting for Superman have detailed the years of neglect and underfunding in the American state school system in a much more thorough and comprehensive way. But Super Size Me does show how the use of outside food contractors to provide school meals has led to a race to the bottom, in terms of price and in terms of quality. So much of the food served in schools requires no preparation other than reheating, and because the choices are limited children are brought up to accept nothing better, let alone healthier. But thirdly, Super Size Me has the balls to point the finger at the individuals who consume McDonalds so frequently. Having made a very solid case against fast food companies and lobbyists, and spoken about the frightening extent of fast food advertising, the film concludes by saying that it's as much down to us not making the effort as it is the society in which we are constantly exposed to such food. This might seem like a cop-out, considering how much righteous anger the film generates through its arguments against the industry and the power it wields. But it is refreshing that a documentary has the balls to 'blame' the public without overly guilt-tripping them in the process. On top of everything else, Super Size Me is a very entertaining piece of work. As well as making you feel angry or sick, there are at least as many moments in the film which will provoke laughter. Hearing Spurlock's girlfriend talk about their disappointing sex life is hilarious; she comments, for instance, about how she always has to be on top since he started his diet. On the day that we see him throw up, Spurlock cracks jokes about the side effects of fast food on his system, muttering about "Mc-twitches" in his arm and other such complaints. Such scenes are pleasant interludes which make the experience more bearable, and counteract any negative feelings we may have - for instance, the urge to shout at Spurlock to stop it, lest he should kill himself. Super Size Me is a very good example of populist documentary filmmaking which is a good balance of entertainment and information. Its impact will be greater the less one knows about fast food in general or McDonalds in particular, and many may be bothered that it doesn't go into enough detail when it needs to. But as an introduction to a subject which many have barely considered, it is both admirable and successful.
August 22, 2016
My personal feeling about documentaries is that they should (1) tell the truth, (2) tell you something interesting, and (3) tell you something useful. Supersize Me largely failed on each of these counts, and so is worse than even the most biased and hyperbolic of political films.

Morgan Spurlock's interest is the rising prevalence of fast food in America. Throughout the film he digresses into America's obesity epidemic, and McDonald's lore (Including, to his credit, the guy whose eaten big macs every meal of his adult life and is in perfect health.) These are nicely done, though MSNBC and others have done excellent specials on each.

However, the center ring of this circus is his experiment. He's going to get a McD's combo meal, every meal of every day, for a month. He's going to supersize whenever they ask (they get fired if they don't), and he's going to eat the whole meal, even if he's full, even if he wants to puke he's so stuffed (which happened more than once). His only exercise will be the walk there and back (in NYC), and he has to order everything at least once (so sometimes deserts on top of the meal, and five salads over the course.) Shockingly, the bloating makes him lethargic, and eating way more than a normal person should in sheer volume, virtually no vitamin-bearing produce, and 10x the sugar/salt/animal fat one should, causes his weight, blood-sugar, and cholesterol to spike and his overall body chemistry to deteriorate.

We don't know what would have happened had he taken a multivitamin or stopped eating when he was full. The whole ordeal defied all common sense, the human body's own limitations and McDonald's own public warnings. Because of this, Supersize Me is neither useful nor interesting, and when you're dealing with educational entertainment, that makes a whopper of a difference.
July 19, 2016
Sometimes hard to watch... which I guess is the point.
July 6, 2016