Supercop 2 Reviews

• Nov 20, 2015

Review: I rented this movie, expecting it to be Police Story 3: Supercop but it turned out to be a movie that had 3 different names, which I found really confusing. Its known as either Supercop, Supercop 2 or Project S so if you have seen any of those movies, it's the same one. I think the confusion is because they named the third Police Story, Supercop as well. Anyway, this movie is based around an high ranked cop, Jessica Yang (Michelle Yeoh), who risks her life in China, to fight against crime. After being awarded a medal for her accomplishments in the force, her boyfriend tells her that he wants to move to Hong Kong to make some serious money because the army doesn't pay him well, so he leaves her in China to pursue his dreams to become a millionaire. Jessica then gets a call from the police force in Hong Kong because they need her to solve a case about a group of gun tooting criminals who have held up a bank and stolen important documents, so she heads to Hong Kong, only to find out that the head of the group of criminals is her boyfriend. With the help of her new friends in the Hong Kong force, they tackle the criminals who are plotting to steal loads of cash from a heavily guarded bank. The action wasn't bad in this film and the storyline was half decent but I kept on wondering when Chan was going to pop up. He has a small sketch, dressed up as a woman but apart from that, he isn't in the movie at all. I've always been a fan of Michelle Yeoh because of her no fuss acting style and her unique kicking Kung Fu. Her acting in this film was quite good, along with the rest of the cast and I'm glad that the director didn't over complicate the storyline. It did look a bit low budget in parts and the music was awful but the action scenes were impressive. There isn't any of those silly comedic scenes throughout the movie, until Chan does his little sketch, so there is a sense of intensity throughout. For entertainment it does tick all of the boxes and they even added a romantic element which made this movie watchable and enjoyable in parts.  Round-Up: Although I was expecting a Jackie Chan movie when I rented this film, I actually was surprised that I enjoyed it. It was directed by the highly rated Stanley Tong who also made Swordsman II, Police Story: Supercop, which I thought this movie was, Rumble in the Bronx, First Strike, Mr. Magoo, Martial Law (Series) and the Myth with Jackie Chan. He didn't really have a big budget to make this movie but it done well with the money that he had. Its obvious that you need a big star like Chan, to get the big budgets because your usually guaranteed your money back but Michelle Yeoh, 53, is definitely worth the investment now, because she has starred in some big movies like Tomorrow Never Dies, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Memoirs of a Geisha, Fearless with Jet Li, Danny Boyles Sunshine, Babylon A.D. with Vin Diesel, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, the Lady and Kung Fu Panda 2. She has definitely proved that she is a versatile actor who always puts in good performances and she was amazing as Aung San Suu Kyi in the Lady.  Budget: $900,000 Worldwide Gross: $16.2million I recommend this movie to people who are into their action/crime/martial arts/comedies starring Michelle Yeoh, Rongguang Yu, Emil Chau and a special appearance by Jackie Chan. 4/10

• Oct 16, 2012

I've witnessed some pretty decent Chinese horrors in my time, but all of which unsurprisingly had the sole intent of horrifying. This however, is a horror of it's own making, but billed as a supposed alternative to James Bond!?! Although Jackie Chan is listed on the credits (and may have been a good 007), he only offers a very minor, and totally irrelevant appearance as an undercover detective dressed in drag, who exposes a bank robber by popping the breasts of their guise! The rest of the film sees Michelle Yeoh take the lead role in capturing a group of Hong Kong bank robbers in the midst of their hijack, who are ironically led by our heroine's fiancé. There may have been an attempt to make this somewhat of a love story too, but that feel completely flat in the midst of all the crap that was taking place. Whether it was a bad copy or not i don't know but the entire film was dubbed with some terrible voice overs which in some Instances spoke like Popeye and Olive Oil, whilst the action sequences seemed almost in fast forward whereby I had no idea what was happening. To my amusement this film was somehow certified as an 18 which was incredible given that the lack of quality would only appeal to an underage audience of adolescents, who would chuckle at the odd rude word spoken, or kicks to the testicles that were both evident. Apparently this is only a spin off to the main series of films, so at least this movie did have one good feature..............a warning to give the rest of the episodes a miss!

• Jun 22, 2012

Friday, June 22, 2012 (1993) Project S (In Chinese with no English subtitles) ACTION Saw this film as "Project S" from the original Hong Kong title and from the Laserdisc version that has no English subtitles but can still make out the plot by the characters movements and actions. Dubbed to be called "Super Cop 2" after Super Cop (Police Story III: Super Cop) was re-released in North America for English speaking audiences. After the popular "Police Story III: Super Cop", director/ stunt man Stanley Tong brings the female Insp. Jessica Yang played by Michelle Yeoh back to intervene on a planned robbery heist with one of Hong Kong's largest banks with Yu Raung Gong as the corrupt officer who is aiding them. This plot device was reused again on the less exciting third installment of the "Die Hard" movies called "Die Hard With A Vengeance" since this one was never opened or available to the open public except in Chinatown-like communtities. Anyways the action, especially the martial art fights are the best thing but with less stunts this time, with Jackie Chan providing a small unecessary cameo as a police man udercover wearing drag as comedy relief. 3.5 out of 4

• Apr 19, 2011

I'm a man who loves Kung Fu movies, regardless of dubbing & this movie is just to acron packed but the nit picky thing i hated about this movie is the packaging it came from

• Dec 18, 2010

i have v old memories with this movie

i have v old memories with this movie

• Aug 07, 2010

Oh dear, it has to be one of the worst movie by Miss Yeoh. The only thing I like probably is the song by Emil Chau.

• Apr 20, 2010

Supercop 2 Starring: Michelle Yeoh Director: Stanley Tong Inspector Yang (Yeoh) is a no-nonsense cop from mainland China whose beauty is exceeded only by her mental agility and martial arts mastery. She is sent on special detatchment to Hong Kong to assist the police force there to break up a violent crime syndicate, but she soon discovers that somehow they manage to stay one step ahead of her. When she discovers that this is because they are being led by her former fiance, she is forced to choose between her heart and her duty. Which will win out, particularly when the choice will come down to the life of a fellow cop, or the life of the man she still loves? "Supercop 2" isn't quite up to the high standard set in the original "Supercop" film (where she played an energetic foil to Jackie Chan's goofball Inspector Chan), but it is still a film that's filled with lots of fabulous stunts and over-the-top martial arts sequences. Yeoh is as good as ever, and the supporting cast also performs well, but the humor and excitement of the script falls short of the original movie. It's better than much of what is out there, but it doesn't rise to the level of excellent.

• Apr 20, 2010

A lot of gun fighting action! Really this is a Michelle Yeoh movie not JC!

A lot of gun fighting action! Really this is a Michelle Yeoh movie not JC!

• Jan 02, 2010

Ei saanut mua nukutettua, vaikka naihin Hong Kong -leffoihin on usein sekoitettu jotain unilaaketta. Suosittelen kaikille joilla on vaikeuksia nukahtaa iltaisin =o)

• Joseph E Super Reviewer
    Dec 31, 2009

It tried, and well failed bad.

It tried, and well failed bad.