Supergirl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Supergirl Reviews

May 29, 2015
the girl who plays supergirl is insanely HOT!!!! everything else not that good
May 24, 2015
Brilliant for its time
May 24, 2015
not a good movie. but I'm glad it was made...,.
April 17, 2015
Set after the events of Superman III, but without Superman (whom is inexplicably off planet at an inter-galactic peace summit. despite there never having been a mention of non-Kryptonian aliens). Starring Helen Slater as Superman's magically existing cousin (from an entire colony of surviving Kryptonians, despite canon that after Superman II, Jor-El was the last living one). Honestly, I could go on listing continuity errors but I'm afraid at some point in the next few weeks, my keyboard is going to run out of batteries. So I'll just have to skip ahead to reviewing the film off of its own merits.
Eventually, sorcery (Superman's other weakness) was eventually going to have to be brought into the series, so I can forgive that lameness, most certainly. That's not what makes this a bad film. It's a combination of probably the weakest romantic plot (not subplot, which it really should have been), a chronically unenthused (to put in nicely) Peter O'Toole (Lawrence of Arabia, Troy, The Tudors), an overabundance of non-practical effects (which technology of the time was just not ready for), nearly unbearable banter, and the flimsiest plot built off of characters being inconceivably stupid that make the film so bad.
But then, that's really the entire film.
At least Supergirl's alter-ego had more thought put into it than "adds/removes glasses" and Selena was an... Acceptable, I suppose, villain. But ultimately Supergirl sits with aforementioned Superman III and Quest for Peace as entirely missable.
20%

-Gimly
½ April 13, 2015
How not to make a super hero movie.
February 28, 2015
now i want to see it just cause it here
½ February 8, 2015
The only reason to watch the movie is Helen slater, the only reason.
November 6, 2014
Really good film, Helen Slater is great as Supergirl
½ August 27, 2014
The two best parts of this film is Helen Slater's portrayal of the superhero and her exploration of abilities.
August 9, 2014
I really like the movie. Though the plot is silly, at least the tone is consistent throughout. Faye Dunaway is a hoot as the villain, Hart Bochner is a gorgeous stud-in-distress, and Helen Slater is fantastic as Supergirl. She makes the movie work and my favorite scenes include her joy at discovering her powers on Earth. It is also just great to see a woman lead in a superhero movie. I cannot wait until a modern version arrives in theaters someday.
½ July 30, 2014
What a gigantic piece of sh*t.
July 27, 2014
I never understood the hatred this film got. It's a lot of fun and what a cast the damn thing has! I own a copy on VHS and still drag it out a couple of times a year. Finally, it will never be as bad as Superman 4.
July 15, 2014
The film has many faults including a disinterested Faye Dunaway and a stupid plot to make a loser workman fall in love with her. but Slater's supergirl is wide eyed and appealing. She makes a great supergirl and her time with Peter O'Toole is a treat!
June 6, 2014
This film is great, but only in the right context. The cast is amazing; some are in their later years, but so what? Helen Slater, 19 at the time, is amazingly beautiful in this, and does a layered performance of bravery, curiosity, and uncertainty. Her performance is much more natural than Christopher Reeve's ever was. The "flying ballet" is stunning, especially for 1982 tech (when it was filmed). Goldsmith's soundtrack score especially shines here. The effects are purely mechanical or matted, and well done from that aspect. But generally the vision was more grandiose than could be achieved at that time. And a major flaw is that it's obvious that many of the actors' takes are first or second takes.But the script has much more of an edge than the Superman movies, e.g. the rape attempt when Supergirl first arrives in the city, and the drunken house mother. There was an entire town built for the bulldozer scene (parts of which were stolen later for Aliens). For the writers at that time it was natural for Supergirl to battle another woman, thus a witch, who through a series of errors created then pursued Supergirl's boyfriend. In some ways, Helen's Supergirl was a proto-Buffy. Unfortunately the various edits of the film mangle the complex storyline, losing a lot of the motivations and context. The Director's Cut from 2000 helps restore a lot of that. And when compared to the first 3 Superman movies it stands up well, and is actually superior to them.
April 29, 2014
After the success of the Superman films, producer Alexander Salkind thought it would be a good idea to do a film based on the Supergirl series of comics, which started in 1958. It seemed like a good idea at the time, especially as Christopher Reeve was in no hurry to play Superman again. But Supergirl would prove to be a troubled production, filmed on the hoof and the special effects look rushed too, but it's just cheesy fun mostly. On the Kryptonian community of Argo City, Kara Zor-El (Helen Slater) accidentally loses a powerful orb known as the Omegahedron, which belonged to Zaltar (Peter O'Toole). Blown into outer-space, Kara follows it, and transforms into Supergirl along the way. The Omegahedron lands on Earth, and it ends up in the hands of witch Selena (Faye Dunaway), who uses to break her relationship with warlock Nigel (Peter Cook), and wreck power on the world. Kara arrives on Earth, and enrols at an all-girls school under the name of Linda Lee, quickly befriending Lucy Lane (Maureen Teefy). But when Selena wages destruction, Kara/Linda becomes Supergirl. It follows the same formula as the Superman films, but this was rushed into production to make a Summer 1984 release, but it ended up being delayed when Warner Bros. dropped it from distribution, and negative publicity saw it flounder at the box-office, which was a shame, as it's not as bad as it's made out to be.
½ April 9, 2014
Hadn't seen this since I was in high school. Wow. I guess I didn't realize at the time how awful it was. It's horrifically bad on so many levels. The acting is atrocious, the writing is worse, and the effects are complete cheese. Hart Bochner was the only thing that kept me watching to the bitter end.
½ March 14, 2014
The effects are cheesy and Supergirl's wide-eyed, cheery heroine simply isn't interesting to watch for an hour and a half.
February 27, 2014
Safely hidden in the void of inner-space is the Kryptonian city of Argo -- saved by the scientist Zaltar (Peter O'Toole) and powered by the magical Omegahedron. But now the city's vital power source has been lost, and only one courageous person can retrieve it! Her name is Kara...on Earth she is known as Supergirl (Helen Slater). Standing in her way is the evil sorceress Selena (Faye Dunaway) who has taken control of the fantastic power source. With her now super-powered black magic, the villainess is
bent upon nothing less than world domination! Can Supergirl (Helen Slater) retrieve the Omegahedrom before it is too late?

also stars Hart Bochner, Peter Cook, Mia Farrow, Brenda Vaccaro, Simon Ward, and Marc McClure.

directed by Jeannot Szwarc.
January 9, 2014
It has moments of genuine charm, an enjoyable score, and an acceptable debut performance from Helen Slater who does her best to interpret the cobbled script but overall Supergirl is a movie that can't quite tell what its own story is.