Supergirl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Supergirl Reviews

December 10, 2015
Helen Slater, the innocent, perky superheroine, sure is something to look at, unlike the tacky special effects which service a movie that feels more like a self-parody than a Superman spinoff.
December 2, 2015
So bad... the cousin of Superman deserves so much more, just just bad.
½ November 22, 2015
This could have been such a great movie. Helen Slater is very good as Supergirl, although there could have been a bit more depth to her. Even Superman tie-ins are promising. But it isn't a good movie. And that's because it is a terrible, terrible story.
October 1, 2015
Why Peter O'Toole?

Supergirl is basically like Superman 3 & 4 all over again. Corny one liners that can make everyone cringe, bad visual effect's and flat directing. Overall Supergirl is just another bad superhero flick.
½ August 19, 2015
Worse than Superman 3 and 4 put together.
August 10, 2015
Despite it's flaws I will always love and enjoy this film. It's magical, sugar sweet, warm and filled with good hearted soul. Helen Slater was perfectly casted as Supergirl in a movie that is just simply fun to watch. Great 80s cheese that never takes itself too seriously.
July 1, 2015
I'm a huge superhero fan I loved the supergirl movie. It was a old one but I'm a sucker when it come to superheros. I can wait for the new superman vs batman movie!
June 13, 2015
I loved this movie so much as a kid, but sadly I rewatched it as an adult and realized that my parents were right: it is a terrible movie.
May 29, 2015
the girl who plays supergirl is insanely HOT!!!! everything else not that good
May 24, 2015
Brilliant for its time
May 24, 2015
not a good movie. but I'm glad it was made...,.
April 17, 2015
Set after the events of Superman III, but without Superman (whom is inexplicably off planet at an inter-galactic peace summit. despite there never having been a mention of non-Kryptonian aliens). Starring Helen Slater as Superman's magically existing cousin (from an entire colony of surviving Kryptonians, despite canon that after Superman II, Jor-El was the last living one). Honestly, I could go on listing continuity errors but I'm afraid at some point in the next few weeks, my keyboard is going to run out of batteries. So I'll just have to skip ahead to reviewing the film off of its own merits.
Eventually, sorcery (Superman's other weakness) was eventually going to have to be brought into the series, so I can forgive that lameness, most certainly. That's not what makes this a bad film. It's a combination of probably the weakest romantic plot (not subplot, which it really should have been), a chronically unenthused (to put in nicely) Peter O'Toole (Lawrence of Arabia, Troy, The Tudors), an overabundance of non-practical effects (which technology of the time was just not ready for), nearly unbearable banter, and the flimsiest plot built off of characters being inconceivably stupid that make the film so bad.
But then, that's really the entire film.
At least Supergirl's alter-ego had more thought put into it than "adds/removes glasses" and Selena was an... Acceptable, I suppose, villain. But ultimately Supergirl sits with aforementioned Superman III and Quest for Peace as entirely missable.
20%

-Gimly
½ April 13, 2015
How not to make a super hero movie.
February 28, 2015
now i want to see it just cause it here
½ February 8, 2015
The only reason to watch the movie is Helen slater, the only reason.
November 6, 2014
Really good film, Helen Slater is great as Supergirl
½ August 27, 2014
The two best parts of this film is Helen Slater's portrayal of the superhero and her exploration of abilities.
August 9, 2014
I really like the movie. Though the plot is silly, at least the tone is consistent throughout. Faye Dunaway is a hoot as the villain, Hart Bochner is a gorgeous stud-in-distress, and Helen Slater is fantastic as Supergirl. She makes the movie work and my favorite scenes include her joy at discovering her powers on Earth. It is also just great to see a woman lead in a superhero movie. I cannot wait until a modern version arrives in theaters someday.