Superman Returns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superman Returns Reviews

½ March 22, 2017
Superman returns in forgettable fashion. It tries to heavily to connect to films of the past, but makes the movie feel like it's retreading water than doing anything new.
March 20, 2017
The most bland and heartless superhero film I've ever seen.
Routh was the wrong choice for the man of steel. He seriously lacks Reeve's intelligence and command of respect. Routh comes across as more of a boy then a 'Superman'. Lois Lane ought to be shot for being so selfish and uncaring. I know that superman doesn't 'kill', but think about it logically -- Lex Luthor keeps trying to cause mass murder for no reason other than personal financial gain, if you were Superman wouldn't you deem it neccessary for the greater good to snap his neck and be done with it? Particularly when it's such a stupidly poor portrayal on behalf of Kevin Spacey. Most of his dialogue is copied from Gene Hackman's for God's sake! Ultimately, Superman has much more powerful villains than Luthor, such as Brainiac and Doomsday who have yet to make an appearance on the silver screen.
March 19, 2017
The only thing that saves this movie is that awesome airplane scene.

Grade: D-
March 14, 2017
He lifts stuff.... Great but in all seriousness there are some strong moments here.
February 1, 2017
A great superman movie! Love the actor, even thought he didn't have the right superman-muscles
½ January 27, 2017
This movie is oddly very fun and silly, yet explores a very deep and interesting arc in Superman's life. The acting in this is on point and I enjoyed it very much!
½ January 26, 2017
Superman Returns ends the SUPERMAN trilogy, with great action, even if it falls into the all to familiar trap of corny characters.
½ January 26, 2017
not bad but needs more action, what keeps it from being great is it can be bland at times
January 19, 2017
In this movie Kevin Spacey who plays Lex Luther or is trying to fight superman but lex is very sarcastic and rude and that's his personality is he is funny. I like how superman will fight against Lex. And with Superman saving the plane from crashing was incredible I thought it was a very cool seein superman is strong that's why he is called the Man of steel but this is a movie I liked
January 14, 2017
Short sweet and to the point here. If superman is going to return, this is how he should do it.
½ January 14, 2017
This is the best superman movie ever, which is very sad.
January 4, 2017
It's ok. There really isn't much else to say. The acting is perfectly ok, as good as the original. The story is very one-note and simple, showing that the film knows what it is. The visuals are impressive, the airplane scene is genuinely tense, making up for the underwhelming climax. No character really goes through an arc, aside from Lois, whose choices and arc I don't agree with. Bryan Singer also has a talent with bold characters, as Lex Luthor is by far the best character. While his plan may be boring, and make no sense, Kevin Spacey gives a wonderfully intense performance, channeling everything that makes Lex Luthor, Lex Luthor. Superman may not be super, but at least it's not terrible.
½ January 3, 2017
Just returned to this film after the most recent horrors of MoS and BvS. I can honestly tell you that watching Richard Donner's original plus this, was far more rewarding that sitting through the hours of Snyder's grimdark killfest. You should go back and check these out, it'll help get the sour taste of the most recent films out of your mouth.
½ December 1, 2016
,¢,,¦iâ¦......
½ November 19, 2016
I love this movie.

Why?

Because I love Superman, the original Superman movies 1&2 and what Superman is all about.

It's brilliantly simple in it's application while drenched in class and reminds me of what movies brought me in my youth.

And yes, you can't quite beat true movie sound and scores. Excellent.

It's definitely time for another sequel with Routh, reminding us what Superman should be all about.
November 5, 2016
A beautiful, loving and epic rebrth of the son of krypton, this is an exciting warm and romantic epic. It's now ten years since it's strange reception where it made 400 million worldwide but was after a while labelled as not just a disappointment but an out and out flop, and it also saw extremely strong reviews but was somehow mass labelled by the smaller percentage of bad reviews and on top of that saw a pretty muted audience response, and in those ten years it's reputation seems to have just continued to slide, indeed it seems the only following it really has is of people who fucking hate it (save that hatred for Zack Snyder's ultra pessimistic, gloomy misunderstanding of the character please people) Im not sure, even now where the hate is directed exactly, i mean sure some of the criticisms hold water, he does seem to mostly just lift increasingly heavy and massive things up, Kate Bosworth is too young to be Lois Lane, Lex Luthors plot is nonsensical and it is sometimes a little too reverent of the Richard Donner/Lester movie (whole lines are repeated, and sometimes there are element's of an outright remake here) but Returns is just a damn beautiful piece of work, it has a love for the man of steel that is warm and infectious, there is a sense of awe and wonder that usually only Spielberg can inject into his films. It's also really romantic, magical, sweet, often very funny, and the action sequences are huge and incredibly realized (the plane scene is one of the best set pieces of the noughties, and the bullet in Supermans eye is the single best visual representation of the characters indestructibility ever, also it's fucking badass!) there's also this sad, melenchnoic feel to the film that makes it unique among Superman films and superhero films overall, this films portrayal of Superman as a lost and lonely soul whose adopted world has moved on without him is fascinating, bold and affecting. Also Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor is a wicked delight, a far more malicious, nasty version of the character than we've seen before or since that the actor makes his own, he eats up scenes with infectious gusto, and may well be the best iteration of Supes main antagonist ever seen. Speaking of casting the performance of Brandon Routh as Superman deserves the uttermost respect and reverence, he is the best version of the character outside of Chris Reeve's definitive screen portrayal, he brings a gravitas and powerful presence, plus sense of warmth, likability and fine comic timing in his scenes as Clark Kent. Superman Returns deserves a reappraisal now, especially in the light of so many plain, samey, workmanlike modern superhero films lacking any sense of wonder, it grows ever more special. One of the greatest superhero films ever made. Magnificent.
November 1, 2016
Really poor subject to start with. An awful lot of boring and flawed aspects. It asks us to suspend reality and sensibility.
October 19, 2016
Actually pretty decent. "Superman Returns" features enough highlights for me to consider it pretty good. I mean it's not great or anything but it's still pretty enjoyable.

6/10 - Good
September 23, 2016
We all wish Superman never returned to the big screen.
September 19, 2016
Entertaining to watch and Brandon Routh makes a great Superman however story tends to drag.