The Supernaturals - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Supernaturals Reviews

½ July 6, 2015
Army unit on training is attacked by the ghosts of fallen Confederate soldiers. Gives new meaning to the term The South Will Rise Again. Good atmosphere with the blue fog and zombies but story spends an hour in buildup with not a strong enough ultimate payoff.
½ October 27, 2012
The ghosts of Confederate soldiers forced to march over a minefield by the Union's 44th regiment return to kill the new recruits of the 44th over 100 years later. If the South had more soldiers like these, Richmond might not have fallen.
½ August 20, 2011
Weird blending of Civil War and zombies that doesn't quite work. It has some interesting ideas but it is mostly just darkness & shooting. The odd thing about this movie is that it has never been released on DVD so old videotapes is all you can find. It also is kind of a crossing of Star Trek. Nichellet Nichols plays the leader of the training group and LeVar Burton plays one of the cadets.
½ May 15, 2011
The Supernaturals is basically a remake of H.G. Lewis's 2000 Maniacs, notorious for its grotesque amounts of blood (for its time). The Supernaturals has (almost) the same basic plot: Dead confederate Civil War soldiers return to kill people. The Supernaturals adds a military theme to the mix, and its great. A lot of people don't like this because of its slow pace and very, very little gore. However, it makes up for these things in a great score, great acting, and great visual effects. It's also nice to see the actress who played Uhura on Star Trek in another film. This is one of those movies that a lot of people hate, but I really enjoy. More examples of this are Death Ship, Blood Beach, and Halloween 6. I tell you, if this had a faster pace and a lot more gore, this would have been one for the ages.
April 11, 2011
Funny, Witty, Clever . . . of course EVERYONE will say its stupid but I LOVE THE SUPERNATURALS (aka Ghost Soldiers aka Ghosts of the Confederate Dead) dearly; Levar Burton and Nichelle Nichols (two quality actors from STAR TREK), Maxwell Caufield from GREASE 2.

This is the first time I saw Union Civil War Soldiers acting mean: A little boy Evan is strolling through a "War of Northern Aggression" (the Southern name for The Civil War) and puts-on the gray uniform of a dead Confederate Soldier.

A Union Soldier CATCHES HIM and orders Evan and other captured Confederate Soldiers to walk across a mine field . . . EVAN'S MOTHER suddenly breaks loose from the crowd of spectators and is BLOWN-UP by a mine.

Evan possesses psychic power to raise the dead and raises his mother from the dead.

a hundred and 120 years later Evan's Mom BADGERS Evan into raising the dead bodies of Confederate soldiers to KILL a platoon of modern soldiers on a training mission in the deep south.

I haven't seen this in 25 years . . . BUT I'm sure I still LOVE it!!!!!

but again YOU GUYS will probably hate it . . . today's audience is IMPOSSIBLE to please it seems especially when the film is "a hundred years old from the 1980s" and only available on VHS . . .and not on DVD.

UPDATE 4/11/2011):

I just watched THE SUPERNATURALS again last night
Evan's widow is named MELANIE and Private Ellis is Evan reincarnated (sort of)--but . . . I was dealing with past lives and Melanie (a girl so named, it was like she and I shared very similar experiences or hold very similar attitudes and responses towards things.)

JEREMY is THE BOY at the beginning of the movie and Melanie and Evan's gifted son.

It's STRIPES meets PLATOON meets Night of the Living Dead meets Gettysburg you'd say
½ March 1, 2010
November 23, 2009
This movie really doesn't pick up until the second half. But there is a lot of zombie confederate and super powers at the end. don't get your hopes to high because of the rad cover
April 1, 2009