Superstar - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Superstar Reviews

½ April 19, 2011
Barbie dolls can be the best actresses.
September 25, 2009
This film (video re-transfer) has earned in my heart the honor of "First film I will ever review on Rotten Tomatoes"

You'll never see this film because how the hell would you find it? (Acme Video, Hope St. Providence, RI. Bring your VHS player)

Todd Haynes has done better, but he will never be able to live this down as his first (I think) film. It is insightful, campy and full of Barbie dolls. Like a film made in a therapy session!

So, eat your heart out Biography.
September 25, 2009

So, eat your heart out Biography.
February 3, 2008
Now I was never a fan of The Carpenters before the film and i don't think i'll be a huge fan, but i definitely admire their work. The same happened with Todd Haynes' I'm Not There, now I'm obsessed with Bob Dylan. The film, recommended by huge Carpenters fan and respected critic Mark Kermode after he claimed it was "genuinely moving". So my mission derived in the search of the film, now discovered i realize how overrated it is. I mean, it is definitely good but it lacks that empathy that people claim it has. I feel for her, but i'm not weeping. I think Haynes has a particular love for bother film and music and knows how to blend them together well and has a knack for taking risks. This is probably the biggest risk: Barbie dolls. And that is where the empathy is lost, through no facial expressions. The other challenging issue was if these voices were just voices or real performances, i think that Richard Carpenters voice was particularly astounding to hear, but not to watch.
It's been given a cult following, but normally a cult following has a vast audience and special recognitions and DVD's and t-shirts etc etc But this got banned in 1990, so can it really have a following when nobody can see it. I was lucky to get this and thank GoogleVideo U.K.? for getting it. Now one of the only places you can see this is in Clinics and it's not the most entertaining watch, it's a bit to old fashioned, problematic and long for clinics but it does the job
With the music department it was caarfully crafted and chose the songs that had meaning and a sombre atmosphere to it and that helped quite a bit.

On the whole it is a silly film, doing a serious topic and in places is quite shocking and thought provoking. But in all seriousness this isn't in the least gripping. It has a begining, an end and where's the filling? It just mumbles on, it basically just talks about her life than acts it.
March 20, 2007
A movie that's genuinely hard to pigeonhole.